Rennie's 2007 Book List

Renniemist

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has taken me a while but I eventually finished reading Lolita. I quickly got used to the style but I was pretty appalled at Humbert Humbert and so I could only read a little at a time. I am struggling to get the right words to describe this book. I enjoyed it but at times I hated it and it made me shiver. I am putting it in my to be read again pile.

I had to re-read Lolita and I'm very glad I did: you read it very differently, probably because you've 'got over' the shocks in it. You don't end up sympathising with HH, but I think a re-read helps you to see through him more and what a sad character he is (in both sense!). Definitely worth revisiting :blush:

I am now starting on Suite Fran

• 3 weeks later...

I have finished A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. This was the 6th book in The Cross Stitch/Outlander series and I loved it. I had put off reading it because of its length and because I had thought that the series was going down hill a bit, but this book saw Diana Gabaldon right back on track. Although glad to have made it through the 979 pages I still I felt quite sad when it finished. Will there be a 7th book? Oh I do hope so.

I am starting reading My Lover

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoyed The Remains of the Day thanks Aimz.

I finished it on holiday. It was the only book I did manage to read. So May was rather a slow month.

I have started on The Fruit of the Lemon by Andrea Levy. I do enjoy Andrea Levy

I finished Fruit of the Lemon. It was very interesting with a great deal of family history from Jamaica.

My next read is also set in Jamaica, but I suspect it is very different in tone.

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys.

Inspired by Charlotte Bronte

• 1 month later...

I have not updated this for some time now. I have had a little period when I stopped reading for some reason, but I seem to have recovered now. Thank goodness! :)

I finished Wide Sargasso Sea some time ago and really enjoyed it. It is the story of Jane Eyre

I then went on and read The Hills is Lonely by Lillian Beckwith. I had read this book years ago but could remember very little except that it was a nice easy comfortable read. It was just the thing for someone going through a bad patch in his or her reading. I loved it. It is about a schoolteacher from the north of England who goes to live on one of the islands in the Hebrides for health reasons.

Wow - that's a blast from the past. There were loads of Lillian Beckwith books on our bookcase when I was a child. I don't think my Mum has them any longer though.

Is it a factual book?

Wow - that's a blast from the past. There were loads of Lillian Beckwith books on our bookcase when I was a child. I don't think my Mum has them any longer though.

Is it a factual book?

Hi Janet, According to wikipedia the books are semi-autobiographical. Lillian Beckwith (Comber) stayed on Skye for some time and wrote about her experiences.

The books are lovely, easy to read and very funny. I got my copy in the local charity shop and unfortunately it is not in great condition.

Fruit of the Lemon

Wide Sargasso Sea

Those are two novels I really ought to read: I've become really interested in the Caribbean since reading Small Island! Thanks for mentioning them, Rennie :(

No problems Aimz! You are always a helping me to extend my TBR list.:lol: It is time to return the favour. :lol:

I think that you would enjoy both these books. I think that Small Island is Andrea Levy

• 3 weeks later...

Well at long last I have finished The Covenant. 3000 years of South African history in just 1079 pages. It tells of the life of three different families over this period, but ends in 1979. I enjoyed it very much except that I thought I was never going to get to the end.

I am now starting on Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery for the Reading Circle this month.

Salmon Fishing in The Yemen was an enjoyable read about a ludicrous idea and how, with a bit of pressure from Government, Dr Alfred Jones tries to bring this about. There is a bit of love, a bit of politics, a bit of fishing and a lot of humour.

I am now starting The Distance Between Us by Maggie O

I have finished The Book of Lost Things. It started really well and was quite emotional. When it got to the fantasy bit I was not so sure, but it was a really easy read and in the end I found that I had really enjoyed it.

I have now started on In The Country of Men by Hisham Matar.

Blurb

Nine-year-old Suleiman is just awakening to the wider world beyond the games on the hot pavement outside his home and beyond the loving embrace of his parents. He became the man of the house when his father goes away on business

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished In the Country of Men by Hisham Matar

I am not sure about this book. I could not take to Suleiman so perhaps that has coloured my opinion. I wanted to know more about Libya but in the end felt a bit dissatisfied.

I am starting A Spot of Bother by Mark Hadden.

Blurb

George Hall doesn