Does An Author's Name Make A Difference?

I was wondering if an author's name makes a difference to your choose of book when buying, or borrowing from a library.

Often when buying a book, I am looking for a particular author. But not always. Sometimes I have no idea what I want and so I start at the 'A's and work along. This happens more in the charity shops and smaller bookshops admittedly, but I can do it anywhere.

This means of course, that that author is read, possibly discussed and plugged on forums etc and then bought at a bookshop where they receive more accolades, in sales figures and possibly royalties. The same thing will happen at a library, where the number of reads will show up in statistics, those books read the most and plugged the most on forums etc being the ones at the top of the popularity lists.

Just a thought, as an aspiring author, (as are a few others on the forum). Should we be careful in choosing our pen names?

What are your thoughts on this?

PP

Actually, the more astute I get at reading, the less the name matters. I guess it comes from knowing a lot of great authors who aren't "famous" but still deliver a wonderful story. When you find one, it's like discovering gold, such a thrill. A new road to travel with all new experiences.

I'd say a name means very little.

What matters is the recommendation.

That seesm to carry more weight than anything else.

KW

I seem to remember someone once saying that authors often try to find a surname that will be shelved at eye-level, as they're more likely to be picked up on a whim. Personally, I find I'm often drawn to books right beside those by my favourite authors. For instance, if i'm looking to see if a new Simon Scarrow book is out, there'll be another one somewhere in the "s" section that grabs my attention. When I'm just borwsing, I still tend to gravitate towards the areas where I know my favourite authors are shelved - the horror section where Kelley Armstrong & Charlaine Harris sits; the crime section next to Stuart McBride; the sci-fi/fantasy shelves next to Terry Pratchett. After that, it's the general fiction shelves around Scarrow & Brookmyre. I also often pick up new authors when their books are displayed on a table especially if the table is themed, such as historical fiction...

When I'm just browsing, I tend to choose books that have been recommended. However if I see a book by someone whose work I have read and liked before, i would definately choose that book. I also used to go for the same type of genres, although since I ;ve been a member here my reading habits have changed drastically.

A little of all of the above I suppose. Recomended for sure, finding authors while hunting favorite authors, sometimes a name that is totally different to my usual picks. Just plain scanning second hand shelves.....if I've seen an author's name on the forum, I will check it out.

When deciding what name to publish under I faced a real quandary - I wanted to use my real name, but it was a really difficult choice between Sam and Samantha. Most people still assume that Sam is a boy's name, and I knew it would make a difference to how the book was perceived. The gender of the writer doesn't generally make a difference to my reading choices, but I know that isn't the case for everyone.

In the end I chose Samantha but only because I thought it sounded better.

I wanted to use my real name, but it was a really difficult choice between Sam and Samantha. Most people still assume that Sam is a boy's name, and I knew it would make a difference to how the book was perceived. The gender of the writer doesn't generally make a difference to my reading choices, but I know that isn't the case for everyone.

I can see your predicatment. I think that's why J K Rowling went for initials. Her publisher said that boys wouldn't buy her book if they knew she was a woman, because they'd think it was a girly book.

I can see your predicatment. I think that's why J K Rowling went for initials. Her publisher said that boys wouldn't buy her book if they knew she was a woman, because they'd think it was a girly book.

I did think of using initials, but I don't have a middle name, (though I suppose I could have made one up) and S. Grosser just sounded naff...

I don't think an authors name would actively discourage me from reading something, but I agree that it can help where it will be placed on the shelf! Children's author, Zizou Corder, is actually the psudonym of a mother and daughter team - apparently when they were choosing a name they opted not to use their real surname - Young - as the daughter felt it would be hidden too far along the shelf. Doesn't seem to have harmed Jacqueline Wilson much though!

When deciding what name to publish under I faced a real quandary - I wanted to use my real name, but it was a really difficult choice between Sam and Samantha. Most people still assume that Sam is a boy's name, and I knew it would make a difference to how the book was perceived. The gender of the writer doesn't generally make a difference to my reading choices, but I know that isn't the case for everyone.

I prefer it when I don't know the gender of the author. It probably seems a bit silly, but I find it quite fun to try and guess from the subject and style of writing whether it's written by a man or a woman.

• 4 months later...
I seem to remember someone once saying that authors often try to find a surname that will be shelved at eye-level, as they're more likely to be picked up on a whim. Personally, I find I'm often drawn to books right beside those by my favourite authors. For instance, if i'm looking to see if a new Simon Scarrow book is out, there'll be another one somewhere in the "s" section that grabs my attention. When I'm just browsing, I still tend to gravitate towards the areas where I know my favourite authors are shelved - the horror section where Kelley Armstrong & Charlaine Harris sits; the crime section next to Stuart McBride; the sci-fi/fantasy shelves next to Terry Pratchett. After that, it's the general fiction shelves around Scarrow & Brookmyre. I also often pick up new authors when their books are displayed on a table especially if the table is themed, such as historical fiction...

Wow, that's me all over! Modesitt is right next to McCaffrey next to McKillip, three authors from which I've read many that the eye just travels over to see what's next.

I think, in general, I am a M kinda guy ... I drift to the A's (Piers Anthony, Asprin,) and sneak a glance at the C's (Orson Scott Card) and occasionally over to the W's and the S's, but mostly it's I'm an Mer.

I do tend to browse around the authors I know I suppose - looking more around those parts of the shop as pin points or markers I suppose.

I don't usually buy author's first books... I don't think that's a conscious decision though I think it is just the way it is. I haven't bought many books which are from new authors of today, I mainly tend to buy from those who have had a few out. Normally, but not always.

And like Kell said about the eye level thing - I think that's a good point in choosing a name because I certainly don't look up very much or down. If I can't reach the top shelf I'm not going to bother because sometimes if you get a book down it's jolly hard getting it back up there again! I think I notice - that the bookshop occasionally moves book positions around a bit, but I don't think enough to massively change those people who are on top or bottom shelf. It's a pity really...

I always check out Diana Wynne Jones even if I know she hasn't anything new out - just in the off chance the stupid bookshop actually has some of her other books there. I usually look around the Ses as well and the G's. I suppose that is because they are near my marker authors.

How weird. I shall have to observe my book-buying/browsing habits more closely.

There was an article in The Times recently that said that while women read a lot of books written by men, men still prefer to avoid books by women - that they think that "women's writing" won't appeal to them.

I think I might publish the next one under Sam ...

There was an article in The Times recently that said that while women read a lot of books written by men, men still prefer to avoid books by women - that they think that "women's writing" won't appeal to them.

Wow, even today I suppose. I'd've thought that readers, (ahem) being readers, would be more open minded.

I can't imagine letting my fat head get in the way of my good friends; Agatha Christie, Anne McCaffrey, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich or Jennifer Roberson.

On my opinion, an unusual author's name (one that is not established) can occasionally lead to a psychological barrier while buying what seems to be an otherwise good book. It has happened to me on a few occasions - most notably with World's Fair by E L Doctorow. The subject of a young boy growing-up with his dreams in the depression era New York of the 1930s fascinated me, but I hesiteted because the author's name was so unusual and one that I had never heard of. In the end, I went ahead and bought the book - and am very glad that I did. I heartily recommend it to all my fellow readers.

Name doesn't matter to me when choosing someone new to read.

And I use my maiden name for my author name. There is a sweetness knowing bully's in high school might Google me and see that I write now. LOL.

I like unusual names and I'm sure I've picked up books I wouldn't usually have looked at twice because I've thought, "Oh, what an unusual name!" and it's caught my attention that way. I may not always have bought them, but I've looked at them, which I might not have done had it not been for a strange name on the front cover.

I like unusual names and I'm sure I've picked up books I wouldn't usually have looked at twice because I've thought, "Oh, what an unusual name!" and it's caught my attention that way. I may not always have bought them, but I've looked at them, which I might not have done had it not been for a strange name on the front cover.

Hmmmm, that's interesting ... can you name a couple?

I can't think of any off the top of my head - I'll have to have a rake around when I get home.

ETA: I've remembered one - Lemony Snicket! I was intrigued and read the first book in the series, but wasn't all that impressed. However, i'd never have picked it up in the first place if it weren't for the author's name.

• 2 years later...

I was mooching through some old threads, and woke this one up!

I tend to avoid 'fluffy' names, as I feel that will be reflected in the books contents. For me, I like to think that all the words in the book matter, from the story, the blurb, the dedication, and therefore also the author's name.

Neutral names that don't have an ambiguous pronunciation, or strikingly unusual names, they will be the ones I go for if I am seeking a new-to-me author from a book shelf. If an author had a name like Tinkerbelle Muchly-Snuggles however, I probably wouldn't read the book! That's what I mean by fluffy! :)

My approach to the bookstore is strictly alphabetical: I go to the A shelf of the Fiction section and skim every single spine; interesting titles will be picked up and have the blurb read if the cover is equally compelling; if I like the blurb I'll read a sample chapter or two and take it from there.

New books by authors I adore will be added to the pile in my arms almost indiscriminately and clearly authors or titles that have been recommended to me by a reputable source (i.e. someone on here as opposed to Richard & Judy) are going to jump out at me; however I do try to give everyone their fair chance by allowing each and every book to inspire me on the spot.

That, of course, is why I consider an hour in a bookstore to be a rushed visit.

Incidentally, I am an unpublished writer myself so I'm the last person to want to discriminate against lesser known authors. My suggestion to grab the kind of readers that really matter (i.e. discerning and loyal ones) is to have an intriguing title and an unusual, pretty cover. While I don't judge books by their authors' names, I do tend to judge them by their title and cover, for they oh-so-often accurately reflect what's on the inside.

My approach to the bookstore is strictly alphabetical: I go to the A shelf of the Fiction section and skim every single spine; interesting titles will be picked up and have the blurb read if the cover is equally compelling; if I like the blurb I'll read a sample chapter or two and take it from there.

New books by authors I adore will be added to the pile in my arms almost indiscriminately and clearly authors or titles that have been recommended to me by a reputable source (i.e. someone on here as opposed to Richard & Judy) are going to jump out at me; however I do try to give everyone their fair chance by allowing each and every book to inspire me on the spot.

That, of course, is why I consider an hour in a bookstore to be a rushed visit.

Incidentally, I am an unpublished writer myself so I'm the last person to want to discriminate against lesser known authors. My suggestion to grab the kind of readers that really matter (i.e. discerning and loyal ones) is to have an intriguing title and an unusual, pretty cover. While I don't judge books by their authors' names, I do tend to judge them by their title and cover, for they oh-so-often accurately reflect what's on the inside.

I agree 110% with this. I am the exact same way. :D

On my opinion, an unusual author's name (one that is not established) can occasionally lead to a psychological barrier while buying what seems to be an otherwise good book.

Oh, dear.

As a woman AND the owner of a very out-there name (my surname rhymes with Danielewski, author of "House of Leaves") comprising twenty-three letters and three nationalities, I'm doomed... :D!

I'll change my name to George Smith, I think.