Does An Author's Name Make A Difference?

I had to think about this question.

In the library, if I see a Stephen King book in the distance, I gravitate toward it first since I've not read them all. After that, I methodically go through each shelf quickly. I tend to stop at names I recognize, or book titles I recognize.

I rarely pick up a book that is unfamiliar to me, although I've done that and been glad I did. I will read men and women equally. I probably will not read an author who is known to write romance. But then again that is a genre thing, not a name thing.

I will not read some authors like Stephanie Meyer, I have no desire. I will stop for Anne Rice, Jane Green and other authors I'm familiar with first.

I don't think i have ever been bothered by the name of an author. If they have a really obscure name then i may forget what to look for when i go out book shopping. But i usually take a notepad and pen with everything written in, everywhere i go.

Same here :lol:

If I've enjoyed books by a certain author I tend to gravitate towards their section of a bookshop, but these days I pick up recommendations here and shop for specific books rather than spend an hour browsing.

After I've browsed the areas around my favourite authors, if I have time to, I'll go back to A and start looking to see if anything jumps out at me. I'm still into unusual names - I'm being drawn to more foreign authors that way actually. I'm even further drawn to them if the book they've written appears to be on a subject I like, e.g. historical fiction set in Japan or China; historical fiction set during the Roman Empire (including those set in Egypt - I love all things Egyptian!); historical fiction set during the Tudor period (can you sense a pattern emerging here?); paranormal fiction (edgy rather than fluffy or overly romantic, although I enjoy a bit of light comedy in there too on occasion); crime fiction set pretty much anywhere, but especially in places I know; contemporary fiction that focuses on another culture; etc, etc, etc...

Edited by Kell

The name of an author has put me off in the past - I didn't read Karin Slaughter for ages because a) she spells her first name with an 'i', not and 'e' (sue me) and also because her surname is 'Slaughter', for Odin's sake!

But then I read her, and loved her books. I raise my hands in recognition of my folly! As a rule, however, a name doesn't sway me much. I read (roughly) two-thirds male, one-third female authors (not hermaphrodites, I mean percentage wise!) but steer weeeeeellllllll clear of 'Chick-Lit'.

Anyway. There you have it.

I guess if the authors name was Rob Bish or B. Ilge I might think twice.

Or Dr Ed Full.

Well I don't think an author matters to me when choosing a book, unless of course I've read something by that particular author before and hated it. Then in that case I'm not likely to even pick it up. Like many others I gravitate to authors I know that I love, and they'll be my first choices. When choosing a new title, unknown to me, I'll pick the one that jumps at me, read the blurb, then decide what I think. Obviously I'll go on recommendations by people on here, and go for authors I like, before I go in randomly. :D

I am guilty of by-passing female authors :D

This is terrible I know. I have gotten out of the habit. I tend to just look at titles mainly. If the title catches my eye, I then quickly scan the synopsis of the back. I mean if it sounds like a good book, who cares who wrote it!?

However, I'd still say that like 97% of my reads are books written by male authors.

I am guilty of by-passing female authors :D

This is terrible I know. I have gotten out of the habit. I tend to just look at titles mainly. If the title catches my eye, I then quickly scan the synopsis of the back. I mean if it sounds like a good book, who cares who wrote it!?

However, I'd still say that like 97% of my reads are books written by male authors.

Adam Adam! Tut tut! :lol:

What is it that you dislike about female authors? Have you had a bad reading experience perhaps?

I'm not bothered when it comes to the sex of the author and probably have a 50-50 split.

Adam Adam! Tut tut! :D

What is it that you dislike about female authors? Have you had a bad reading experience perhaps?

I'm not bothered when it comes to the sex of the author and probably have a 50-50 split.

LOL I guess the books written by female authors never catch my attention. In my TBR pile only two books are written by females. That is very bad percentage :lol:

I have no idea what it is. I need to get some good recommendations.