How do you keep your books?

Hyzenthlay

Now I have my kindle I throw real books in the recycling bin or I burn them in the garden hahahaha (insane laugh)

You lot think I am joking don't you ....

Noooooooo.....don't burn them!!! They need a happy home!!

I keep mine on my book shelves which are all over the house, plus some in the bathroom, lounge, dining room...just lying around!!!

Andie P x

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As others mentioned, bookshelves are key. Find a good quality shelving unit that will be able to hold your treasures. I'm also a reluctant fan of e-readers. Reluctant because I simply adore the sound of fanning the pages of a newly minted book, crisp sound of a new page turning and the smell of my newest purchase as I open it for the first time. However, being able to purchase a book whenever and where ever I wish coupled with the convenience of of keeping my library with me is immeasurable.

One may also point out, as noted above with losing your books to fire or other disaster, having your library on (in??) an e-reader may possibly allow you to keep it safe(er).

• 1 month later...

My husband and I live with his parents, so we dont have a huge amount of space. Still, the floor to ceiling bookshelf and the support bought from Ikea aren't enough, and they're covering the desk and the floor in piles!

We shouldn't be allowed in the Oxfam charity book shops...

But we're moving to our own flat in 2 months and so will hopefully have a lot more room to spread out. I may even not trip over books anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I have five bookshelves in the basement, but they're mostly stuffed with gaming books. For novels, I've actually unloaded most of the ones I used to own and have gone electronic. It saves on storage, and since I read them on the iPad, I find that it solves the issue of not having very good lighting to read by throughout the house.

I've rearranged my books, I now have three different shelves, fantasy and sci-fi on one shelf, non fiction on the second, and fiction on the third!

Kept in a general, unorganized mess.

I did, at one time, have my books in some semblance of order. Subjects, genre, authors etc.

Husband moved in with his boxes, and then counting our untrammelled book buying, organization has taken flight. To where is unknown. /sigh/ :D

I can only estimate a "when did we buy it", or "whose was it to begin with", or "was it one we both had?" to find it. Hopefully. Maybe. Possibly.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a student and still live with my parents, so I have to keep my books in my room. I have about 2/3 of a wall filled with books, and a smaller set of shelves for magazines and schoolbooks. I'm getting in trouble with space, though, and will have to find a solution soon!

This is the 2/3 along the wall: click. These are blocks from Ikea put together.

These are the magazines and schoolbooks: click. This is part of the furniture of a set that's scattered around the house and family.

Great pics, Alexander. :) Where would we all be without Ikea? :D

I keep my books in 6 1/2 Billys, which take up a whole wall in our living room. They're organized by genre (crime, fantasy, children and the rest) and author.

I have 6 1/4 Billys taking up 3 walls in my library. One bookcase is non-fiction arranged by genre and the rest are fiction arranged by author. I have half a Billy in my study for my reference/language/grammar books and one Billy in my lounge room for non-fiction books arranged by genre.

Hopefully I'll be getting 2 more Billys this week because I've run out of space for my books. They'll both go in my lounge room and I'll move the remaining non-fiction books in my library to the new bookcase (the 2nd one will be mostly empty for a while, but I'm about to run out of space for my non-fiction books).

I keep my books in 6 1/2 Billys, which take up a whole wall in our living room. They're organized by genre (crime, fantasy, children and the rest) and author.

I have 6 1/4 Billys taking up 3 walls in my library. One bookcase is non-fiction arranged by genre and the rest are fiction arranged by author. I have half a Billy in my study for my reference/language/grammar books and one Billy in my lounge room for non-fiction books arranged by genre.

I too am a fan of the IKEA Billy. It's just so very nice size for books (with the only exception of big coffee table books, they tend to be too wide for Billy).

Because we just moved, most of our books are still all over, but being the slightly crazy organizer me, I created an Excel file long ago of my books. Now the moving boxes are numbered, and for each book that's in a box the corresponding number is entered in the Excel file. Yeah, I'm slightly funny like that.

I do have most of the paperbacks and such here already, so they're all on a set of 7 IKEA Billy's (in white), arranged by color. And I did group them by size, so that they fill the shelves as much as possible. I didn't want the actual shelf to show up above and behind the books. This rather nice looking wall of color is in the hallway, behind a small sitting group.

The older books, the leather-bound ones and such will be in our (still very much a work-in-progress) library room. They just look better there, as it'll be more Old World look all around. The only problem is getting my work-related literature there, as they're more "modern" looking yet my work area is in the library. I'm still working on a solution to that...

Some books are spread around the place, cooking books in the kitchen, obviously, some art books and such in the living room, decorating books in the dining room... And of course the ones we're reading or planning to read (or just left there) in the bedroom!

Edited by Gabbie

Thanks Kylie! I'm really fond of the floor-to-ceiling Billy's, if I say so myself. And while arranging the books by color does sound a bit superanalmicromanager, it does make the wall look spectacular.

I'll think about photos once we get this hassle of moving over and done with for good. The photos you've all posted are wonderful!