Polka Dot Rock's Books of 2007

Polka Dot Rock

From January 8th to April 22nd (Continuing Blog can be found here)

Alongside this blog, I have also taken up both the Doorstep Challenge and the Classic Challenge - novels that are part of these are indicated by the corresponding colour (occasionally, a Classic is also a Doorstep, so this noted by an asterix)

Read

Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi (9/10)

Vanity Fair - W.M Thackeray* (8/10)

Wicked - Gregory Maguire (7/10)

The Night Watch - Sarah Waters (8/10)

The Girls - Lori Lansens (9/10)

Restless - William Boyd (3/10)

One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson (10/10)

Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert (6/10)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon (8/10)

Poppy Shakespeare - Clare Allen (5/10)

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (8/10)

Disobedience - Naomi Alderman (9/10)

The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney (9/10)

Currently Reading

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

By the Bed

The Book of the City of Ladies - Christine de Pizan (trans. Rosalind Brown Grant)

How Novels Work - John Mullan

TBR

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen

Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen

Villette - Charlotte Bronte*

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop - Lewis Buzbee

Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes (trans. Edith Grossmann)*

No Name - Wilkie Collins*

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens*

The Woman Who Walked Into Doors - Roddy Doyle

Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier

Julius - Daphne du Maurier

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot*

The Crimson Petal and The White - Michel Faber

The Big Fat Bitch Book - Kate Figes

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

Goodbye to Berlin - Christopher Isherwood

Finn Family Moomintroll - Tove Jansson

Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones

The People's Act of Love - James Meek

Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky (trans. Sanda Smith)

Franny & Zooey - J.D Salinger

Anna Karenina - L.N. Tolstoy*

On Order

Watchmen - Alan Moore

Want

Nightwood - Djuna Barnes

Will & Me: How Shakespeare Took Over My Life - Dominic Dromgoole

This Is Not a Love Song - Karen Duve

Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris

Howards End - E.M Forster

The Odd Women - George Gissing

Carter Beats the Devil - Glen David Gold

The Golden Notebook - Doris Lessing

Affluenza: How to be Successful and Stay Sane - Oliver James

The Cement Garden - Ian McEwan

Valley of the Dolls - Jacqueline Susann

Last Orders - Graham Swift

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova

Re-Read

Nights at the Circus - Angela Carter

Wise Children - Angela Carter

Unless - Carol Shields

On Beauty - Zadie Smith

Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, I notice you have Madame Bovary on your list. This is the only book of Flaubert's that I have read. Let me know what you think of the book when you have finished. I enjoyed it. The chemist/druggist in the story is a rather humorous and clever fellow.

Yes it's one of those unforgettable stories - the dangers of ennui (be happy with what you have!). I loved it and found it quite a daring book of its time - certainly didn't pull any punches and there are some brilliant scenes in it. Similar novels I've read are The Awakening by Kate Chopin and Therese Raquin by Emile Zola (I think this is my favourite Zola - he doesn't pull any punches either).

Notice that Villette is on the list - I've started and abandoned this but am determined to go back to it when I can give it the attention it deserves - it's supposed to be one of the best of the Bronte novels.

Just thought of another list...

Books that I'd like find (as I can't figure out where the bloody hell they've disappeared to!) :friends0:

Lolita - Vladimir Nabakov

Franny & Zooey - JD Salinger

Lolita's one of my favourite books and I really want to read Franny & Zooey, but I can't for the life of me think where they might be in the house, garage, caravan etc. Grrr.

Update: Finished Wicked, so will try and post a review soon. I've also updated my Want list after reading two fantastic articles last week by Oliver James and Kate Figes, and after getting a couple of recommendations from a friend (The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and Carter Beats the Devil).

I absolutely love Kavalier and Clay. It's a wonderful book. I hope you enjoy it.

Eh up, the TBR and Want lists are swelling. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing!

I've added The Cement Garden - Ian McEwan and Valley of the Dolls - Jacqueline Susann to the Want list. I've fancied reading both for a while: from what I've read about The Cement Garden, it reminds me of How Live Now by Meg Rosoff (which I loved). Apart from the incest part, mind you! (Although they were cousins in How I Live Now...). I watched a TV movie about Jacqueline Susann and I've been intrigued by Valley of the Dolls ever since. I'm thinking of buying it and saving it for a time when I need something desperately trashy! Plus, the cover's fabulous darling: Link anyone for a pill?

Thus far, I'm really enjoying The Night Watch: I'm savouring it and reading it very carefully as I think I might benefit from it later on in the novel.

I've found Lolita and Franny and Zooey! Hooray! I spent all day sorting out which books can be sold and given away, and there they were. As well Salinger's short-stories collection For Esme - With Love and Squalor, which I forgot I had so that was pleasing. :)

Still really enjoying The Night Watch: the twists in the plot are brilliant, and the ambulance scenes are amazingly depicted. It's so easy to forget how brave the women volunteers were during WWII.

Happily, I'm also loving John Mullan's book. It's so easy to read and accessible. It's a great 'back to basics' that also teaches you alot. And after years of people trying to explain to me what the Perfect Present tense actually is, I finally understood it last night! :D

I finished The Night Watch last night. Really enjoyed it, definitely one to re-read in the future :lol: I thought the 'backwards' narrative worked extremely well, actually enriching the story rather than simply being a 'gimmick'. I thought the characters were hugely convincing, and quite endearing. Although, I didn't really warm to Duncan that much: I think he reminded me too much of Billy in Lilies (Fridays BBC1), so I was probably a bit exasperated of following two similar characters at the same time.

Am probably going to start on The Girls tonight, although I did pick up William Boyd's Restless on my lunch break , since it was half price and I had my gift vouchers. I also bought The Crimson Petal & The White (finally).

After being free of Book Need/Greed for a few months, I feel ravenous again! After reading an interview, I really want Stef Penney's The Tenderness of Wolves as it's out in paperback, which surprised me!

I finished The Night Watch last night. Really enjoyed it, definitely one to re-read in the future :lol: I thought the 'backwards' narrative worked extremely well, actually enriching the story rather than simply being a 'gimmick'. I thought the characters were hugely convincing, and quite endearing. Although, I didn't really warm to Duncan that much: I think he reminded me too much of Billy in Lilies (Fridays BBC1), so I was probably a bit exasperated of following two similar characters at the same time.

That hadn't occurred to me but that is right. Bit of a stereotype. Did think she wrote the women better than the men?

In this particular case, I do think she wrote the women better than the men. Saying that, I thought Reggie was a really interesting character, as he really could have been a stereotype, but the conclusion gives him more depth and I think you could understand what Viv saw him in.

It was great to read about people that don't get regularly discussed in fiction (such as WWII's civilians and non-combatants) or have largely been ignored in history (until recently), such as gay women. Helen and Julia were really distinctive, individual characters but I liked that Sarah Waters also didn't ignore the mid-20th century 'butchies', like Kay and Mickey, and handled it sensitively and without explanation.

Perhaps the problem with Duncan wasn't so much that the women were written better, but they were more vividly written and had a more interesting narratives...?