The future of books?

chesilbeach

A couple of interesting articles on the BBC News website today, the first being Is this the end of the book? discussing Amazon releasing figures showing that eBooks have outsold paperbacks for the first time in the US. Interestingly, it does go on to say that in the UK, Amazon say that paperback unit sales are up as well, even if the demand for eBooks is growing.

On top of that, there's another article about that fact that the judges for this years Booker prize have been sent e-readers to save having to send them a mountain of the more than 100 books they'll have to read this year, and publishers have been told to submit entries in both digital and physical form.

Q. Is this the end of the book?

Short answer

No.

Long answer

Physical books have existed for a sizeable proportion of the history of civilization, and they're not about to die out now. every time they've been actually or metaphorically burned, they've always risen from their ashes, their hold on the collective imagination stronger than ever.

Digital books have their place - they have uses. But the value of physical books transcends the notion of mere usefulness. Books are tactile, olfactory, emotive experiences that cannot be constrained within the confining boundaries of an electronic devices. Electronic devices are there to make life simpler in select instances, not to take the place of experiences central to being human. Most writers will type up novels because it's practical, but that's not to say the preciousness of the art of writing by hand is lost on them. Similarly, just because the variety and instantaneity offered by ebooks is convenient doesn't mean people are about to forget the joy they used to find in the printed word.

Amazon's own figures demonstrate this: it's not that traditional book sales are suffering in their competition against ebooks, for sales of both book types are up. This makes me hope in a glorious future for books, and nothing less.

I don't think it is the end of the book either, however I must admit I have been reading more and more ebooks lately, instead of physical books. I am finding ebooks more and more convenient to cart around, to read and to store. While on holiday, using my ebook I took care of both my son's and my reading material requirements with a fraction of the weight I would have otherwise needed. Other advantages an ebook gives me is that the print type is a comfortable, constant size I want. Yesterday I picked up the book - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell. This is a 1000+ doorstep, and the type is really small and uncomfortable. After two pages I decided to get it as an ebook - and I am now happily and comfortably reading it, with the added advantage that it weighs a fraction of the physical book, and fits just fine in my (smaller) bag.

Ebooks will probably also be a part of school life in the future. My son has already expressed the wish that some of his textbooks were available as ebooks, and he could use them at school, instead of carting around his very heavy school bag every day. Although this is probably a long way off, I think there will come a time when such options will be available, and more and more people would opt for this option.

I am gonna play devil's advocate here.....I think this WILL be the end of books..or, not their end exactly but they will become very rare and expensive (shorter print runs) and therefore luxury items only.

It is already almost impossible to run an independent bookshop with physical books.

I think the eBook revolution will spell the end of the bookstore as we know it. My reason for this is to look at digital music, whilst eBooks are way behind they are following a similar pattern. Initially they were only available on a device that was incredibly expensive and using an interface to load books that was not straightforward. However along comes an option at a price the mass market can afford that uses an excellent piece of software to load books. In the case of music it was the ipod and itunes, for books it's the kindle and Amazon.

The first step is that digital sales catch up with normal sales and then overtake. This leads to companies that do not offer a digital service becoming more and more redundant and closing. Zavvi anyone?

In the Uk we have already lost Borders, leaving Waterstones as the only big book chain left and they are owned by HMV who are in massive trouble and currently closing 60 shops (20 of which are Waterstones), mainly due to the digital evolution in music.

I think in just a couple of years from now we will be left with only supermarkets selling books on the highstreet, this in turn will mean supermarkets can raise prices as there will be no competition from bookshops to undercut. This in turn may push even more people to eBooks if prices remain low, which they should as the production costs are greatly reduced. All this could easily lead to the situation Vodkafan describes where books are very expensive, although initially I think this will only apply to the highstreet as bargains will still be found online until the print runs start to drop significantly.

Anyway that is my opinion, I do hope it does not go this way as I do love a good browse in the bookshop but I think we are now already on that curve and can't see it stopping.

Edited by tunn300

I'm not sure we'll see the end of the bookshop or books, but I think we will see a dramatic change in bookselling. In the UK, I don't think the big chains still standing will last as they are, with the biggest threat currently being whether HMV will collapse and take Waterstone's with it. However, I still wonder if Tim Waterstone will end up buying back the company from HMV. I heard him talking about it a few months ago, and he felt there was a way to save the book chain, but the way books are displayed, marketed and presented to customers needed to change.

The other development I think we will see is the resurgence of independent bookshops. Over recent years we've seen a decline in the number of indies, because they can't compete on price and range with the big chains or supermarkets. My feelings are that the market will adapt so that the mass market will become mostly digital, but that indies will fill the gaps in both books and service that digital doesn't provide. For example, I keep an eye on the website of one of the bookshops I do visit occasionally, when I get the chance to visit. One of the things they've been doing is looking at their author events. They're moving away from one evening with one author, and have started themed evening, for example an evening about a particular country with maybe three different authors, looking at the literature and culture of that country for the evening period. I think they'll also provide the variety with more focus on the smaller publishing houses and lesser known authors, who aren't easily available as downloads or it might be difficult to come across in that format, but will all be there waiting for you to discover in the indie shops.

On top of that, there are two areas where I don't think digital will rule - the "coffee table" book and the children's book. Whether it's art, gardening, travel or architecture, I think there will always be a market for those gorgeous hardback books with beautiful illustrations and photographs, that just feels so wonderful to hold and turn the pages to discover the next beautiful page. Even more important are children's books. e-Readers will develop, and devices like the iPad already provide full colour, interactive books for children, but you will never be able to replicate the picture book that every child first reads in a digital format. This is important, because any child who becomes a reader will forever have that experience of reading a book while they were in their formative years that will stay with them forever, and I think that will keep the physical book in existence, and people will grow up loving the book as an object as much as for its content. The sales of these will allow the bookshops to continue to trade, and will still keep our favourite fiction and poetry books in the stores along side them.

I'm the first to admit, my conversion to digital has been dramatic and a bit of a shock to be honest, but I know there are still books or authors I will always want a physical book from, even if I buy the digital version too. Now I have to admit, and this is also a shock to me, but I have very little inclination to stop in Waterstone's to browse when I'm passing anymore. However, whenever I go near an independent book shop, I can't stop myself going in. Like record shops, although most of the big chains have gone, there are three cities I visit occasionally for shopping, and each one of them still has a small, independent record shop which seems to have a thriving trade. I think bookshops will go the same way.

I read this news with a certain amount of trepidation too. It seems apocalyptic - the end of books as we know it.(Brings to mind The Time Machine by H G Wells). I haven't succumbed to an e-reader yet - mainly because I have soooooo many books to get through at home, I couldn't justify reading another set electronically. Maybe, once my book pile has gone down considerably, will I consider purchasing one.

What I have noticed though is Oxfam bookshops are opening up more frequently. This I think will be the next chapter (no pun intended :D ) - the insurgence of the second hand book shop (and of couse with libraries starting to close in some small towns :cry: this could really be the way to go).

I guess we just have to go with the times.........

Edited by SueK

• 3 months later...

For me picking a new book and opening it for the first time, is a thrill that a kindle could not hope to replace, and I should imagine most you guys are similar.

Kindle make me sad :'(

BloodyNine,

I used to have the same feelings on this as you do. But, now that I have a Kindle, there are some things about it I like better than physical books.

It's easier to hold, I don't have to worry about the binding eventually falling apart, it's actually easier on my near-sightedness than a paper copy, I can take it with me anywhere easily, and I'm finding it easier to become immersed in the book, as I am not counting the page numbers (there aren't any!). But, I still do love physical books as well. I like the way they feel and smell. I love the beauty of them on my bookshelves. So now I have room in my heart for both. It's awesome! :smile2:

Theres many pros and cons but I don't think there will be an end. I mean I love to get a new book and be able to hold it phsyically and open it up onto the first page for the first time, it's magical!

I was brought a Kindle as a gift a few months ago and I hated the thought of it at first because I love my physical books but since three weeks ago I'm finding it more convenient due to my HUGE stack of books in my room and with a Kindle I can pile thousands of books onto it without losing more of my bedroom. The typeface can be enlarged whereas in a book each typface is a different size some even on the very small side and it can be quite a pain in the bum.

But I still order my 'real books', it's so nice to have as you don't have to recharge a book after three months and scrabble around looking for it's charger. :)

I don't think it will be the end of the book, but if I was being completely honest with myself I would say that it's headed in that direction :(. I am really hoping against all hope that my fellow citizens don't let that happen, but I can only rely on myself I guess. Could it be like what happened to the vinyl album? Eventually getting replaced by new technology and 30 years later the only place you can find them are specialty shops or used music stores? I was shocked a few months ago when I went to buy a real live CD and found an absolutely dismal selection, forcing me to go online and buy one or just settle for the download.

With all due respect to my fellow BCF-ers who own eBook readers, and you know I love all of you dearly, I think I would rather stop reading altogether than read my books electronically. I don't know why I feel so strongly about it, when I have no problem loading up my iPod with songs rather than put a CD in the player, but for some reason books hold a higher place for me.

I don't generally enjoy reading on a computer screen.

However, the kindle screen seems comfortable and soft on the eyes, and as someone who's had terrible vision since forever this is quite important. I don't mind the idea of e-books, or of digital reading, and I think I would quite enjoy it. At the same time, I do love my books to pieces and I love bookstores and the sheer physicality of picking up an old book. They're kind of like old friends, some of them have dog ears on almost every page from numerous re-reads. I get intensely nostalgic about my books.

So I think that me, personally, I would enjoy both. I mean, some books are hard to come by when you live in smaller European countries, especially in English. Ordering takes time, and I'm not incredibly patient. So for those books, I would certainly turn to a Kindle. But I still love collecting and can't picture myself stopping any time soon.

I remember when computer people and others were predicting the end of paper by the year 2000. Seems that with all the computers and their printers that we have more paper than ever. Books and similar items are a big part of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Books as we know them will never die. Just like the TV and radio will never die despite the fact that people watch tv/movies and listens to radio via the Internet.

There will always be people who still wants to READ. And not from a computer screen or iPad (which is really hard on the eyes after a while!!)

I think e-books are terrific. Especially when your eyes are tired or you have a head ache or if you want to listen to something like extercising. Awesome!

BUT: Reading normally IS faster than listening to an e-book. I read more than twice as fast than the narrator reads. So if you wish to save time, I suggest you read the book yourself. :wink:

I accept with emelee, books will never die. I have been doing a research on the impact of the technology on book readers, with my partial results of the questionniare, apparently more than 50% book readers still like reading paper-back despite of owning a e-reader.

Edited by Kell
link removed as per rules

Personally I think the future of printed books is quite grim. With the addition of videos pictures and sound coming to ebooks in the future the younger generation coming through will have a much ricer experience with reading books. They'll come a time when they'll say things like "you read books on paper!?"

You look at the decline of tapes and record players and you don't think the same thing will happen to books? Maybe people who have only read paper books such as ourselves will continue to but the younger generation with their ipods, ipads and ipids (whatever one of those is) will embrace ebooks.

In 50 years time I don't think there will be a bookshop open in your town. Sad but true.

I think books will continue to be around. I work at an independent bookstore and our sales are steady. We have customers who own kindles but still purchase books. There is just something comforting in having a couple of bookshelves in a room with a fireplace!

Add to the picture the frustrated kindle owner who breaks or loses their toy. I had a customer who came in yesterday to purchase a book because she sat on her kindle and it would cost the price of a new one to fix it.

Many people just have a relationship with their books, the ones with the dog ears and the pen marks at their favorite passage.

I have suggested to the owner that he should get with ABA (American Book Association) and start selling the ebooks also and he is seriously considering it.

In 50 years time I don't think there will be a bookshop open in your town. Sad but true.

Some politician over here predicted the bookshops' demise in 5 years. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I think bookshops will continue to be around for a very long time. There will always be total bibliophiles who love to browse and buy. Maybe they'll decline in number, but they'll still be around.

I was thinking about Hay-on-Wye last night. I think it will continue to thrive and that similar book towns might spring up around the world for people to make pilgrimmages to. I hope so, anyway.

Clearly there has been considerable changes in transfer of ideas/thoughts going through cave drawings, monks, printing press, radio, television and computer. It is real science fiction to wonder where it will end. Many people will have preference for one platform or another but my view is that the ultimate will be thought transference such as that done by professor Dumbledore in the Harry Potter saga.

Clearly there has been considerable changes in transfer of ideas/thoughts going through cave drawings, monks, printing press, radio, television and computer. It is real science fiction to wonder where it will end. Many people will have preference for one platform or another but my view is that the ultimate will be thought transference such as that done by professor Dumbledore in the Harry Potter saga.

My wife has for years been frustrated that I cannot seem to read her mind.