Mark Billingham to tv?

Now that Mark Billingham's first two novels have now been translated to the TV, what are peoples thoughts? I personally much preferred the books, but isn't that always the case? With the execption of maybe The Bourne films, I can't think of any other fiction novels that are better in the visual. What do you think?

I really enjoyed TV Thorne, but he wasn't the way I'd pictured him. That goes for every other book to TV series I can think of. It's actors and directors vision.

I always prefer to read the books first as if I watch the series I rarely get round to reading the books. So I avoid the series until I've read the novels.

The only time I can think I've gone from TV to book was Val McDermid's excellent Wire in the Blood.

Thanks for your thoughts, I also enjoyed the TV Thorne, but like yourself, found him different to what I had imagined. I fully agree with you about reading before viewing. I think its because you are able to use your imagination when reading. The Tom Clancy films ( Red October / Patriot games etc etc ) translated well but I still found the books more enjoyable. Are there any books that anyone would really love to see on the big / small screen?