Lady Macbeth's Books 2011

ladymacbeth

WAYLANDER by David Gemmell

I've decided to make a foray into classic fantasy to break up all the chick lit and supernatural romance I have been reading. And David Gemmell fits the bill perfectly. I only started reading his books last year. Waylander is the third in his Drenai series which are all set in the nation of Drenai, generally with a war going on. Typically there will be a hero (or several)involved in the war effort, a love interest and a few battles which inevitably the Drenai win against the odds. Waylander was published in 1986 so it doesn't feel as imaginative as modern fantasy novels but I guess that's why I would term it classic fantasy. If you read it for what it is then it's very enjoyable.

I found Waylander a little hard to get into. The Drenai books are not written in chronological order - in fact this book is like a prequel to the other 2 Drenai novels I have read. It just took me awhile to place out when in the history of the land the book was set. Also, I enjoyed reading Waylander but there as something lacking that stopped me from finding this a truly great read. I think the characters are not quite as well developed as I would like. Other fantasy series I have loved are are Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and Sara Douglass' Axis series. I think what makes the difference is the characterisation being so likeable and engaging. However, it's not really fair to compare as these are ongoing series with time for development whereas Gemmell has essentially written three relatively short stand-alone novels set in the same nation. The characters therefore differ in each book.

But I'll keep an eye out for the next in the series.

3 out of 5 stars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys I keep updating my book list but I have absolutely no motivation to comment on the books I have recently read. Just feeling tired and sick still.

I've been avoiding the library though and am hoping to make a dent in my TBR pile instead of just getting new library books.

THE DRUID'S SWORD by Sara Douglass

This is the 4th and final book in Douglass' Troy Game series. In the first book Brutus and Genvissa begin the Troy Game in what will in future be the city of London. A magical labyrinth designed to trap evil in it's heart and protect the city and make it great. Before they can complete it however, Genvissa is murdered. The rest of the characters involved in the Troy Game are cursed to be reborn again and again until the Troy game is completed. This happens throughout the subsequent books. Each is in a new time period through London's history. Over time even the original creators realise the Troy Game itself is evil and the struggle begins to save the land from the Game.

In this final book the characters have come through major arcs and are startlingly different form their originals yet are still haunted by the mistakes they made in past lives. The characters do become more likeable. Douglass is very good at taking the plot in unpredictable directions. This makes for an interesting read however it does feel as if the author is cheating a lot. Often there is no foreshadowing at all of events which may be about to take place and the author introduces new elements to the story seemingly at will to help solve problems. It leaves me feeling as if she started the books not knowing how they were going to finish and just made stuff up as she went. I personally prefer to feel as if the story is just taking part in a big world and the author knows the full background and is revealing a slice to us.

So overall, the book was entertaining enough but the writing style left me feeling dissatisfied.

2 out of 5 stars

A TOUCH OF DEAD by Charlaine Harris

This is a collection of short stories about Sookie Stackhouse which have been compiled into one volume. They were originally written for other multi-author compilations and occur at different times in the Sookie Stackhouse stories.

Unfortunately it's been awhile since I read the Sookie books so before starting I found it hard to remember the preceding and following events around each story. But this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the stories at all. Charlaine did very briefly reorient you to events around the time of each story so I didn't get lost at all. Each story was a great read.

I do recommend that before this you do read the rest of Sookie's books up to at least Dead and Gone before you start this compilation as otherwise it will contain spoilers. And it won't make sense to people who aren't already Sookie fans. But I loved the book and now would like to own a copy to add to my Sookie collection.

4 out of 5 stars

This is a collection of short stories about Sookie Stackhouse which have been compiled into one volume. They were originally written for other multi-author compilations and occur at different times in the Sookie Stackhouse stories.

Unfortunately it's been awhile since I read the Sookie books so before starting I found it hard to remember the preceding and following events around each story. But this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the stories at all. Charlaine did very briefly reorient you to events around the time of each story so I didn't get lost at all. Each story was a great read.

I do recommend that before this you do read the rest of Sookie's books up to at least Dead and Gone before you start this compilation as otherwise it will contain spoilers. And it won't make sense to people who aren't already Sookie fans. But I loved the book and now would like to own a copy to add to my Sookie collection.

Hey ladymacbeth, this looks like it could be a great companion to the Sookie books; so I'll note it down for when I've finally got around to reading the rest. Only a few in at the moment but I've enjoyed the ones I have read. Thanks for the recommendation. :friends3:

Edited by Ben

Hey ladymacbeth, this looks like it could be a great companion to the Sookie books; so I'll note it down for when I've finally got around to reading the rest. Only a few in at the moment but I've enjoyed the ones I have read. Thanks for the recommendation. :friends3:

Glad to hear it Ben . They are so entertaining.

LOVE HUNT by Fiona Walker

The announcement of a grand Treasure Hunt sets hearts aflutter in the Lodes Valley. The cash is only part of the appeal: a win could solve several romantic dilemmas.

New arrival to the area, Liv has picked up the scent of infidelity; Pixie is in hot pursuit of a wayward lover, while Pheely is spurred into a covert affair – and Jemima, in full cry, reins in her feckless family. Teenager Faith, meanwhile, longs to run her boss to ground – and into bed.

But it is unhappily married Trudy who finds the trail of clues leads her in quite a different direction, and one closer and closer to temptation. Is she chasing a rainbow, or just chasing her own tail?

One treasure hunt, a host of clues…but what is the ultimate prize: a dangerous affair? a distraction from country life? a tantalising seduction? When the hunt reaches its climax, the competitors find they are fighting for the most coveted treasure of all – their own happy ending.

Well this book was a huge disappointment. I used to be a Fiona Walker fan - her best books being Snap Happy and Kiss Chase. However, the last few books have all been set in Oddlode village and have become more and more confusing. Minor characters reappear from book to book but I can't keep track of them. And the plots seem to meander more and more.

In this book, the only character I felt particularly sympathetic to was Trudy. But her truly awful husband made it quite difficult for me to even read about him as he seemed so unpleasant. The main theme of the book was adultery and the other women were all having affairs. Usually, I'm left with a light, happy feeling reading chick lit. The endings are expected to be happy, if obvious, and leave me believing in the power of love. But in this book the adultery theme weighed so heavily, and for me is so the opposite of light and happy, that the book dragged on and on. In reality, with around 500 pages, I think it really was far too long!

I doubt I will be picking up the next Fiona Walker novel.

Only 1.5 stars out of 5. Oh dear.

• 2 weeks later...

PERFUME: THE STORY OF A MURDERER by Patrick Suskind

Patrick Süskind's Perfume follows the life of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, abandoned at birth in the slums of eighteenth-century Paris, but blessed with an outstanding sense of smell. This gift enables Jean-Baptiste to master the art of perfume making, but one scent evades him: that of a virgin, whom he must possess to ensure her innocence and beauty are preserved. Laced with sense and suspense, this is a beguiling tale of lust, desire and deadly obsession.

Perfume is the best book I have read all year.

The idea of someone with a perfect sense of smell was extremely original. I enjoyed the way the description of smells as experienced by Grenouille made the settings come alive. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of the stench of Paris and indeed of humans. The descriptive writing was not over flowery and only enhanced the story.

Although Grenouille is a warped character and seems to be born without a social conscious, as the story followed his point of view his motives were easy to follow. I found myself egging him on in his quest to capture the smell of a virgin. And I loved how his perfumery skills were used and abused by his seniors for their betterment while Grenouille had a completely different agenda.

My only gripe with the book was it lagged a bit in the middle when Grenouille spent some time in the wilderness.

I also couldn't work out from my version who did the English translation. But whoever it was did a brilliant job.

5 out of 5 stars.

Edited by ladymacbeth

DEAD IN THE FAMILY by Charlaine Harris

Any Sookie book doesn't need a review on this forum as she has so many fans. But I will say I thought this book was a great addition to the ongoing story. Alot of people said they felt it was underwhelming after the events of Dead and Gone but I still loved it.

Couple of spoilers

Whilst I am impatient to see what is going to happen next in Eric and Sookie's relationship I also find myself torn in another direction.

Why have Sookie and Sam never got it together - it would be a much more healthy relationship for Sookie. But I suppose then the series might end...Any thoughts?

4 out of 5 stars

• 2 weeks later...

Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead

Another good effort by Richelle Mead - funny, light entertainment with a supernatural theme and a bit of romance. My only problem now is I have read every book Richelle Mead has written so she will have to write some new ones.

3.5 out of 5 stars

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M Auel

This was a really disappointing ending to the Earth's Children series. The book was difficult to get into as the pace was so slow but I did get used to the style. However so little happened in the book that there really wasn't much of a plot or character development at all. A large part of the middle of the book was comprised of descriptions of painted caves which Ayla visited. This did not interest me at all as I just can not imagine what they looked like from a written description. An illustrated version of the book may however improve it. There was also alot of repetition of information both within the book and from previous volumes to the point where I wondered if I was accidentally re-reading pages.

The ending of the book picked up in pace slightly however the events were very predictable and there was nothing I gained from this book which I couldn't have foreseen from the last one.

Sadly, this was definitely the worst book in the entire series.

2 out of 5 stars

The Genesis Plague by Michael Byrnes

A mercenary gang in Iraq are hunting Al Qaeda. When they chase a terrorist group into a cave they call on the American military for back up in extracting the terrorists. However, the cave has been used for a different purpose in the past - as tomb of an ancient goddess who once released a pestilence so severe it once wiped out an entire civilization. It becomes evident to the mercenaries that someone is trying to release the same plague again- and they need to stop it.

This book has been compared to The Da Vinci Code which I know will put alot of people off. It actually reminded me more of a Jack Reacher novel and had a very military feel / focus which I didn't really enjoy - but I think alot of blokes would like it. The religious and medical element was fascinating and if it weren't for the military / terrorist action scenes etc I would have liked the book alot more. The book was predominantly plot driven with rather one dimensional characters who were mostly quite macho which again makes me think this is a blokes holiday reading book. Just my thoughts though, I may be completely wrong and do not wish to offend any men out there.

2.5 out of 5 stars.

Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

The 4th book in another supernatural series which I have written about before. These books keep getting darker and darker - I thought it was one of the better volumes but I did feel kind of disturbed after reading it. Hoping for a happy ending in the next and final book.

2.5 out of 5 stars.

Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead

Another good effort by Richelle Mead - funny, light entertainment with a supernatural theme and a bit of romance. My only problem now is I have read every book Richelle Mead has written so she will have to write some new ones.

3.5 out of 5 stars

I'm in the same boat! You'll be pleased to know that Bloodlines (a new series set in the same world as Vampire Academy) is out in August, Succubus Revealed (Georgia Kincaid book 6) is out in September this year, Shadow Heir (Dark Swan book 4) is out early 2012. These are UK dates, but I think you get them about the same time as us, with US a little bit ahead.

THE WIND-UP BIRD CHRONICLE by Haruki Murakami

Toru Okada is an apparently happy man - his domestic routine seems familiar and comfortable. Admittedly, he has recently quit his job, the cat has disappeared, and a strange woman has begun to bother him with explicit phone calls. Then one day his wife does not come home from work.(Fantastic Fiction)

Toru Okada is a completely ordinary man who becomes involved with a series of extra-ordinary people and has increasingly bizarre experiences. At first I found the story completely perplexing and therefore was ambivalent about whether I was enjoying the book or not. I had to look at the thread on Murakami in the forum and relaxed a bit realising there kind of wasn't really a point to the story. I didn't need to work so hard to "get it". However, the ending wrapped up nicely and I felt I did have a new understanding of what the book was about.

This is not my favourite style of book. I'm not sure whether I would read another book by the same author in a hurry. But I can see why people appreciate Haruki Murakami as an original story teller.

3 out of 5 stars.

I've just been thinking more about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I only finished it this morning and am really pleased to have got through it as it seemed to take me a long time. My feelings towards it now seem to be growing more and more favourable. I think I found it a stressful book to read as I really had no idea what to expect or understand what was going on sometimes. Now that I have finished it I can look back in satisfaction and make sense of it all without the stress of feeling like I'm missing something.

Anyway it's a pretty good book that makes me keep thinking about it afterwards.

• 2 months later...

I've been putting off writing about recent reads for a while. Just lacking in energy really and overworked. Am approaching third trimester of pregnancy and have not been in my usual reading mode. All I've felt like have been easy reads lately. But here are my latest reads starting with what I finished last.

THE CITY AND THE CITY by China Mieville

When the body of a murdered woman is found in the extraordinary, decaying city of Bes el, somewhere at the edge of Europe, it looks like a routine case for Inspector Tyador Borlu of the Extreme Crime Squad. But as he probes, the evidence begins to point to conspiracies far stranger, and more deadly, than anything he could have imagined. Soon his work puts him and those he cares for in danger. Borlu must travel to the only metropolis on Earth as strange as his own, across a border like no other. With shades of Kafka and Philip K. Dick, Raymond Chandler and 1984 , "The City & The City" is a murder mystery taken to dazzling metaphysical and artistic heights.

It's unusual that the setting proves to be the most interesting part of a novel. However in this book, a murder mystery is set in one of the most original, unique places that I have ever read about. The book describes two cities occupying the same land where occupants have learned to "unsee" those buildings, people, events occurring in the other city. The way it works is incredibly intricate and yet so well done it becomes believable. As the murder mystery is worked out we learn more and more about the two co-existing cities and how they interact. It's a truly incredible idea and I can't wait to read some more China Mieville.

5 out of 5 stars!!!

BE MY BABY by Zoe Barnes

Lorna has everything she's ever wanted. And then one day, her beloved husband Ed dies - leaving her widowed and pregnant at 29. Eighteen months later, Lorna misses Ed as much as ever, but knows she must get out and make a new life for herself and her kids. When her mum and dad suddenly find themselves desperate for somewhere to live, what could be more natural than for them to come and live with Lorna? It'll be a great opportunity for her to go back to her job as a midwife, while they get to know their grandchildren. But that's before the mishaps, the arguments over childcare, or the rows that break out when Lorna announces that she's met a hunky doctor and is ready to start dating again. From Fantastic Fiction

This is a shockingly predictable chick-lit offering from Zoe Barnes. I found a large part of it annoying as the main character Lorna dated such a hideous character that I couldn't really understand her motivations at all. Luckily, all I really wanted to read at this point in time was mindless twaddle or I would have given up on it. Not recommended though unless you're really desperate for some comfort reading like I was.

2.5 out of 5 stars.

TWENTIES GIRL by Sophie Kinsella

Lara has always had an overactive imagination. Now she wonders if she is losing her mind. Normal twenty-something girls just don't get visited by ghosts! But inexplicably, the spirit of Lara's great aunt Sadie - in the form of a bold, demanding Charleston-dancing girl - has appeared to make one last request: Lara must track down a missing necklace Sadie simply can't rest without. Lara's got enough problems of her own. Her start-up company is floundering, her best friend and business partner has run off to Goa, and she's just been dumped by the love of her life. But as Lara spends time with Sadie, life becomes more glamorous and their treasure hunt turns into something intriguing and romantic. Could Sadie's ghost be the answer to Lara's problems and can two girls from different times end up learning something special from each other? From Fantastic Fiction

Another chick-lit novel but with some fairly likeable characters and a good little come-uppance for one of the villains. I enjoyed it and it fitted in with wanting to read something simple and entertaining.

3 out of 5 stars.

DOLCE DI LOVE by Sarah-Kate Lynch

When childless Lily Turner finds out her perfect husband has a secret family in Tuscany she goes there to find him but gets tangled up with an underground league of Italian widows hell-bent on mending broken hearts - including hers. From website of Sarah-Kate Lynch

Sarah-Kate is a New Zealand author, and one of my favourites. Her books are always funny, they do fit into the chick-lit genre, but there is usually a little bit of magic in them and they also deal with some serious issues without ever making the reader uncomfortable. In this case, the issues of infertility and adultery are addressed and the magic comes in the form of a league of Italian widows who when their leader smells orange blossom start looking for a broken heart to mend. I didn't think this was Sarah-Kate's best book but I still enjoyed it and will keep being a loyal fan and read everything she produces.

3 out of 5 stars.

HARRY POTTER AND THE ..... by JK Rowling

Yep, I reread the entire series after get thoroughly sick of Great Expectations and needing a break. As always this is such an entertaining, clever, funny set of books. The way everyhting comes together in the final installment is brilliant and I remain in awe of JK Rowling.

Harry Potter has always been 5 out of 5 - I'm proud to have the books on my shelf.

GREAT EXPECTATIONS by Charles Dickens

I wanted to read this book before starting Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones and I have only ever read one Dickens book before (Oliver Twist). Whilst I really enjoyed the first part of the book where Pip lives with his sister and her husband, I got completely mired down once Pip moved to the city and started spending money like water. I tried to have a break and get back into it but just haven't been able to and have now put the book into my abandoned pile. Sad really. If anyone can indicate to me that the book takes a turn for the better I may get the energy to give it another shot so please comment if you have enjoyed the book yourself.

THE SHORT SECOND LIFE OF BREE TANNER by Stephenie Meyer

A novella by the author of Twilight filling in the backstory of a very minor character in her novel Eclipse. I bought this on special at the local book shop and found it pretty disapppointing really. I didn't add much to my experience of the Twilight saga which I actually really enjoyed. Worth a read once I suppose but nothing to get excited about. Midnight Sun on the other hand - I hope Stephenie decide to finish this.

GREAT EXPECTATIONS by Charles Dickens

I wanted to read this book before starting Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones and I have only ever read one Dickens book before (Oliver Twist). Whilst I really enjoyed the first part of the book where Pip lives with his sister and her husband, I got completely mired down once Pip moved to the city and started spending money like water. I tried to have a break and get back into it but just haven't been able to and have now put the book into my abandoned pile. Sad really. If anyone can indicate to me that the book takes a turn for the better I may get the energy to give it another shot so please comment if you have enjoyed the book yourself.

I know what you mean. I studied it for my a-level english and like you really enjoyed the first part when Pip was a boy and then lost interest when Pip moved to the city and I don't remember it picking up at all. But after the first reading I started to re-read (never did finish it the second time)and enjoyed the "grown up" section much more on the second reading than the first. I didn't finish the second reading as I had done my exams by then and saw little point in carrying on. Perhaps you could read a detailed synopsis of it befor carrying on see if that helps pick up your interest in it.

LITTLE, BIG by John Crowley

Little, Big tells the epic story of Smoky Barnable -- an anonymous young man who meets and falls in love with Daily Alice Drinkwater, and goes to live with her in Edgewood, a place not found on any map. In an impossible mansion full of her relatives, who all seem to have ties to another world not far away, Smoky fathers a family and tries to learn what tale he has found himself in -- and how it is to end. From Google Books

Extremely slow-paced book about an unusual family who believe in fairies. I just couldn't get into this at all. It took me a long time to read. I was hoping for a great ending and was underwhelmed. It's a cult classic but not in my house.

2 out of 5 stars

• 2 weeks later...

A CAVERN OF BLACK ICE by JV Jones

When Raif and Drey Sevrance return home to their clan as the only survivors of a vicious attack in which both their father and the clan chief were killed, everything changes for Raif. Uneasy with the new chief's reign of brutality and his brother's acceptance of it, Raif welcomes his uncle Angus Lok's invitation to accompany him to Spire Vanis. Asarhiah March, Ash for short, is the beautiful ward of Penthero Iss, Overlord of Spire Vanis. Suspicious of Penthero's increasing interest in her developing body, when Ash overhears him planning to imprison her she flees, only to be cornered at the city gate by a band of the Overlord's elite guards. But as they close in on her, a stranger comes to the rescue - observed by a bemused Raif, Angus Lok plunges into the midst of the guards and snatches her to safety.

And so begins an epic journey which will change their lives ... and maybe the world. Blurb from Fantastic Fiction.

This is fairly classic fantasy novel fare with a young hero, a journey, fate of the world at stake etc. Seeing as I like that sort of thing I really enjoyed it. I didn't come across as cliched as even though it fits solidly into the fantasy mould as there were some new ideas and the author never reveals the whole backstory to the land. The characters are in the dark about the implications of their actions and so is the reader. This book for me felt like travelling back in time about 10 years as I initially read it in 2000. I couldn't remember enough to be able to understand the sequel so embarked on a re-read. It was all vaguely familiar but I really enjoyed some of the sideplots that I hadn't recalled. Great characters as well particularly the women and girls. My favourite was Effie Sevrance, the main character Raif's sister. She only a little girl left at home in the clanhold when Raif leaves but she has a sixth sense for when bad things are going to happen and this helps keep her out of harm's way.

My only criticism of the book was that it was a little bit long at 800 pages and started to drag. However the ending had several cliffhangers so I felt really satisfied by it and eager to read the next installment.

4 out of 5 stars

Edited by ladymacbeth

GENERATION DEAD by Daniel Waters

Generation Dead is a young adult supernatural romance novel by Daniel Waters. The book is a modern reworking of the zombie genre of fiction. It follows a girl named Phoebe and her best friends, Margi and Adam, whose world has been left baffled by a strange phenomenon - dead teenagers not staying dead. For reasons unknown, a small number of the teenaged dead are returning to 'life'. They lack a heartbeat and all other traditional life-signs (respiration, digestion, etc) but are capable of thought, movement and speech (to varying extents). They are widely feared by the living, but Phoebe finds herself attracted to Tommy Williams, one of the "living impaired" teens at her school. Blurb from Amazon

I picked this book up on a whim from the local library as I thought I remembered a good review about it somewhere. Luckily it is sensational!

Over the last few years newly deceased teenagers in the US have been coming back to life. Nobody understands the phenomenon and most of the population are repulsed or frightened by the undead. A small group of people are trying to work towards getting legal rights for zombies but are up against a tidal wave of discrimation, hatred and violence. Zombies are now allowed to attend Phoebe's secondary school and she finds herself fascinated by one of the zombie boys. He seems more able than most zombies (able to talk and walk somewhat faster) and has joined the school football team to much opposition. As Phoebe and her living friends become more and more friendly with the zombie kids it sparks some harsh reactions from other students and adults.

I have never been a big horror genre fan so have not read alot of zombie fiction in the past. Rather than a gore fest this book is mainly about discrimination. The zombies' situation reminds me of how black people were treated in the USA before the civil rights movement and also how AIDS victims were shunned when the disease first became an epidemic in the 1980s - when everyone was terrified of catching the disease.

There was an air of disquiet about the novel which horror fans might like. The zombies are mysterious and frightening characters although as the novel develops and Phoebe gets to know them they become easier to sympathise with. It is completely different from Twilight-style vampire romance where the vampires are still pretty tame. Zombies are yuck by definition. The great thing about this is that usually reading fiction or non-fiction about past discrimination eg slavery, apartheid etc, it is very difficult for me to understand the viewpoint of the persecutors. Now in 2011 it seems so obvious that we shouldn't discriminate against other races, sexualities etc. However when I consider what my own response would be to zombie students turning up at school I think I would have been scared at best. I can put myself in the place of the zombie persecutors.

I won't reveal any more of the books plot but the ending is fabulous and I'm popping down to the library tomorrow to get the sequel.

5 out of 5 stars.

Edited by ladymacbeth

29 books left on my TBR after a massive book cull. That feels much more manageable - and I am halfway through a couple of the non fiction ones.

Making room for Baby Macbeth in around 10 weeks time.

Now I'm going to start buying children's books!

THE EYRE AFFAIR by Jasper Fforde

In Jasper Fforde's Great Britain, circa 1985, time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection. But when someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature and plucks Jane Eyre from the pages of Brontë's novel, Thursday is faced with the challenge of her career. Fforde's ingenious fantasy-enhanced by a Web site that re-creates the world of the novel--unites intrigue with English literature in a delightfully witty mix. Blurb from Fantastic Fiction

There are lots of fans of Jasper Fforde on this forum which inspired me to give this book a go. I thought it was enjoyable enough but it didn't really tap into my sense of humour. Just an average read for me.

3 out of 5 stars

TAKE A CHANCE ON ME by Jill Mansell

Cleo Quinn doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to men, but now Will's come along. Handsome and attentive, he could be her Mr Right. Things are definitely looking up for Cleo... apart from one small problem with a rather large ego. Johnny LaVenture, sculptor extraordinaire and her personal childhood nemesis, is back in Channing's Hill and tormenting her as if he'd never been away. Meanwhile Cleo's sister Abbie has a problem of her own - husband Tom has become distant and withdrawn, and she's determined to find out why. But will the shocking truth mean the end of their idyllically happy marriage? The sisters are about to discover that the past can come back to haunt you, and that love can flourish in the unlikeliest of places... Blurb from Fantastic Fiction

I love Jill Mansell as usually her chick-lit is funny and uplifting. This book isn't as good as alot of her past novels but it's such a relaxing read. I was sick in bed for the day while reading it so it was perfect for what I needed.

2.5 out of 5 stars

• 1 month later...

Holy moly. It has been awhile since I updated here and I've read 10 more books. I've been keeping my book list up to date. But I haven't written about any of the books I've read.

Just for my own sake I'd like to give them a rating at least. I don't think I can be bothered going into much detail. I've been reading quite quickly as I'm off on maternity leave, have been quite sick hence taking maternity leave early and am waiting for Baby Macbeth to make an appearance although he/she is not due for another month.

Kiss of Life by Daniel Waters

A sequel to Generation Dead which I read earlier this year and thought was brilliant. The book is about teenage zombies in America and their struggles to fit back into society after they come back to life. This book follows the group of zombie and normal friends from the first book. In the original alot of my focus was on the social situation the zombies found themselves in and the prejudice they met with. This book is more about relationships between live and undead friends. I didn't enjoy it quite as much but there is a 3rd book which I will grab some time in the future.

2.5 out of 5

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

This is the last book in a series about MacKayla Lane, a young woman who travels to Ireland to find out what happened to her dead sister. She discovers she is a sidhe seer - a person who can see the fae. By this stage in the series the future of the world is at risk as the Unseelie or dark fae have broken free of their prison. MacKayla is tracking the Sinsar Dubh, a living book created by the evil fae king, which contains information to save the world. Unfortunately MacKayla has managed to kill the main person who was helping her Jericho Barrons.

OK so the descriptions of fantasy novels always sounds ridiculous as a blurb. However this is a well thought out series, with an understandable plot, a few surprises along the way and this book wraps things up very nicely as an ending. For some reason I had kind of gone off the series though prior to reading it. I think things got rather dark and dire for a while and a happy ending didn't look in sight and this put me off. I would still recommend this for people who like the whole supernatural fantasy scene even though my interest waned after the first 3 books.

2.5 out of 5.

Mindhunter by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker

An autobiography of John Douglas and how he came to be involved in the genesis of the criminal profiling unit of the FBI. A very interesting read particularly the accounts of profiling famous serial killers and how they then matched their profile once caught. I forget who in the forum recommended this book but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3.5 out of 5

The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K Hamilton

An Anita Blake Vampire hunter novel. For some reason I never enjoyed the first book in the series Guilty Pleasures and thought I would give the whole series a miss. Maybe I didn't really like Anita as a character. In fact I still can't work her out and the stories are kind of gross-out violent. However, while trawling the library I saw this book and thought I would give the series one more go. Well despite the disgust factor regarding the subject matter this was a great book. I thought the plot rolled along at a cracking pace and the whole way through I was dying to find out how Anita would resolve the situation. I really didn't remember anything from book one but despite occasional reference back to events from it I could still understand the story. I am now giving book 3 a go.

4 out of 5.

Sophie's Legacy by Lesley Elliott

Another non fiction book (unusual for me, yay) written by the mother of Sophie Elliott, a young New Zealand university student who was brutally murdered by her ex-boyfriend, a lecturer at her university. Sophie was a bright attractive economics student, she had just graduated and was due to travel away to Wellington the next day for her first job. Her ex-boyfriend Clayton Weatherston came to visit her that day at home and murdered her in her bedroom while Sophie's mother Lesley was downstairs. Sophie was stabbed 216 times, and her body was mutilated while her mother tried to get in to stop the attack. Weatherston cut off Sophie's nipples, hair and mutilated her genitals.

This is Lesley's account of the awful day the murder occurred, the preceding relationship her daughter had with Weatherston and then the trial in which Weatherston claimed he was "provoked" and viciously attempted to destroy Sophie's reputation. The trial was widely followed in New Zealand with Weatherston becoming a object of loathing. I found the most interesting part of the book the description of the relationship Weatherston had with Sophie and his clear narcissistic personality disorder.

2.5 out of 5

A Fortress of Grey Ice by JV Jones

Sequel to A Cavern of Black Ice which I read earlier this year. A fairly straightforward but enjoyable fantasy novel. No major surprises in this volume. The characters are well drawn and likeable. I'm looking forward to the final volume which I will be tracking down next time I'm at the library.

2.5 out of 5.

The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes

Another of Marian's works where what appears to be light and fluffy chick-lit turns out to have a dark underbelly. It's really a spoiler to reveal that part of the story so I won't. Anyway, I read this in a day and thoroughly enjoyed the characters and events in their lives. I thought it was probably one of my favourite books by the author. However, the darker aspect did give me nightmares and I think it would have been better were I not completely hormonal and heavily pregnant. That is not the fault of the book however!

3 out of 5

To the Moon and Back by Jill Mansell

Finally some real escapism. No dark side here. Just chick-lit. Mansell is a very humorous author which is why I enjoy her books so much. I'm a committed fan. This book should be read with chocolate.

2.5 out of 5

Fallen by Lauren Kate (reread)

Torment by Lauren Kate (reread)

Passion by Lauren Kate

Passion is the best in this series so far about star-crossed lovers Daniel, a fallen angel, and Lucinda, the human destined to die each time she falls in love with Daniel and be reborn again and again throughout history. I needed to re-read books one and two before starting Passion as I had forgotten what happened earlier. To be honest, Fallen is not the best book in the world. The romance between Daniel and Luce seemed pretty random and unrealistic to me. In particular, why on earth was Luce interested in Daniel when he started off in the book by being particularly rude to her and as far as I was concerned did not improve much. Torment was a little bit better with more being revealed about the fallen angels although I still would have kicked Daniel to the kerb as he gives Luce instructions about staying safe at school while he flits off all over the place. In Passion, Luce travels back through time following her past lives. The relationship between her and Daniel gets some background so improves for me a tiny bit and the origins of the fallen angels is explained. Even though the storyline was engaging and kept me entertained I felt the continuity in the plot between books was very poor. I'm not sure the author really had a full grip on her characters motivations or background before starting the series. There were several examples where it felt like the author was covering her tracks a bit to try to make previous books make sense. So, an enjoyable read and I like the idea behind the novel. However the main male character is not that appealing to me (perhaps teenage girls like him) and the books are not well written. I will read the 4th book but mainly because I feel the need to finish what I've started. I will then be delivering the books to the charity shop. They won't be on my re-read pile again.

2 out of 5 stars.

Mindhunter by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker

An autobiography of John Douglas and how he came to be involved in the genesis of the criminal profiling unit of the FBI. A very interesting read particularly the accounts of profiling famous serial killers and how they then matched their profile once caught. I forget who in the forum recommended this book but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3.5 out of 5

That'd be meee! Glad you enjoyed it. :)