British Bookshops Chain Goes into Administration

Raven

I can't feel too much sympathy for Borders because they don't even seem to try. Books are incredibly expensive in Australian at the recommended retail price, and Borders often prices their books above this, which is just ridiculous. I knew they wouldn't last while they kept doing that. I feel bad for their employees though.

I feel the same way, Kylie. Borders is much more expensive than any other book store around here, and the only time I find myself in one is when I have a coupon since they email them quite often.

Why? You could open your own bookshop anyway!

(Call it Fang!).

Open a shop and sell my precious books? No way!

:giggle: I might be getting a cute little kitty this weekend. I suppose you'll want me to call it Fang?

^ Is there any other choice?

Probably not. You know, the name has quite grown on me. It actually might be very tempting. huh.gif

Then again, I would really like a literary name. I may have to start another thread...

Back on topic, the Borders trouble has been making surprisingly big news over here. I'm glad people have such passionate views about it.

This afternoon I went to our other big book chain, Dymocks, and chatted to the staff about it all. Apparently more people have been buying books today, and in particular they have been using their gift vouchers (customers with Borders vouchers have been told they have to spend, for example, $100 in order to redeem a $50 voucher). I guess people are getting paranoid about losing their vouchers. I did my bit for the book industry while I was there and bought 4 books. wink.gif

Yep very sad about Whitcoulls in New Zealand.

Administration in New Zealand is not quite bankrupt. The company is still trading but they have called in administrators to run the business and make massive cuts or they will go bankrupt. It's sort of imminent disaster and trying to avert it. I hope they don't go out of business simply because there is no other big bookshop chain in New Zealand. What on earth would I do? Ummm, well probably buy off the internet but this is why the shops are going under. Hehehe. But where would I browse?????

In my defence often I buy off the internet because the book I want isn't on the shelves at my local bookseller.

I live in Australia now, but came over about five months ago. Coming from the US where I am a member of Barnes and Noble I found the selections here rather lacking. I have gone to Dymocks, Borders, and Angus & Robertson (Understanding the last two are ultimately the same company), but found the prices rather ridiculous. I know I will be paying more here than back in the states but even comparing the exchange rate this is a bit much. I am also very spoiled when it comes to selection being used to a two story shop with basically everything I could possibly want as well as extremely helpful and friendly staff at Barnes and Noble. The stores here are rather small even for being large companies and I always get the "We can order that for you" remark when I ask about items they do not have on the shelf. I think this is where the problem is for most of the closures here. If they can order it for me and I have to wait anyway, I may as well get it online. Barnes and Noble would have the option of ordering, but would send the product directly to my residence. I am not surprised that Amazon seems to be dominating in most countries if the only option is to overpay and go out of your way to return to the store when/if an item is unavailable at the time you wish to purchase it. I feel the most sympathy to the mom and pop booksellers who were hurting once the online companies started anyway. As for the authors, I hope that we don't lose any talented individuals because of all the changes taking everything digital or basically internet purchase only. With the stores closing, where would there be any book signings? A simple solution, but one I wish were not necessary in the first place.