British Bookshops Chain Goes into Administration

Raven

I'm sure I heard in the news that Waterstones are cutting stores this year as well; before we know it there will be no book stores left.

Edited by Ben

The writing has been on the wall for BBS for a long time, and reading between the lines, I am only surprised it didn't happen sooner. I rarely shopped there myself, as they didn't sell the sort of books I like (mostly hardback celebrity titles and paperback best sellers) with odds and ends. They will I am sure though be missed, and I wish the staff all the best for their own futures. Sadly it's what happens when the likes of Amazon start discounting, they should never have got rid of the NBA imo (net book agreement), but now it too late. You can't blame for the public for wanting lower prices, as we are all being squeezed, but it always comes at someone else's expense, and if that means less choice because retailers can't compete, then ultimately that means us.

New Zealand retailers are suffering here because they have to add 15% tax to all purchases. Whereas overseas online sellers don't charge the tax. Therefore buying books form overseas is often cheaper.

A few bookstores have gone under in recent years.

It's a shame for local businesses to miss out.

Are BBS the same people that own Sussex Stationers? We have one of these bookshops in my nearest town and they always look quite full. I have found some good bargains in there.

New Zealand retailers are suffering here because they have to add 15% tax to all purchases. Whereas overseas online sellers don't charge the tax. Therefore buying books form overseas is often cheaper.

15%??!! That's craziness, LadyMacb! Remind me never to open up my own business in NZ, yikes.

Around here in the US there are plenty of Barnes & Noble and Borders stores (and they seem to be doing quite well), but I have noticed a definite decrease in independent book shops.

The writing has been on the wall for BBS for a long time, and reading between the lines, I am only surprised it didn't happen sooner. I rarely shopped there myself, as they didn't sell the sort of books I like (mostly hardback celebrity titles and paperback best sellers) with odds and ends.

My local branch is pretty good, they do tend to focus on new releases (both hardback and paperback) but they have quite a range past that and have recently increased their shelf space and selection (you can find most recent paperbacks in there and they are always discounted by at least a pound, sometimes by two or three).

They also have a good selection of art materials that are a lot more competitively priced the local art shop.

Always sad to see bookshops close but I must admit I hadn't even heard of them until now.

Most of their shops are in the South East.

Are BBS the same people that own Sussex Stationers?

Yes.

Yes that is correct, about 20 stores have been earmarked for closure, but no announcements (as far as I know) have been made as to which ones - I am guessing some of the smaller ones and maybe where there are 2 branches in the same town (mostly old Ottokars branches I would imagine or whichever one is less profitable). There is also talk of redundancies at their Brentford Head Office and a lot of the staff there have been put under consultation. It is not a good time for those in book selling.

http://thebookseller.com/news/143918-waterstones-begins-consultation-with-head-office-staff.html

http://thebookseller.com/news/141627-waterstones-confirms-20-store-closures.html

Edited by Talisman

I miss Ottakar's, especially their website, which was one of the best 'shop' websites I've ever come across.

Selfishly I hope they don't shut the Waterstone's in Trowbridge (Wilts) or Wells. There isn't a Waterstone's in either place, only a small WHS, so hopefully they won't - otherwise it means a trip to Bath or Bristol and the parking is so much cheaper in Trowbridge and Wells.

Ottakars I am told were far easier to deal with from the authors point of view and more willing to take a risk on unknown authors, recognising that everyone has to start somewhere. I always found Waterstones more accomodating that certain other defunct chains, but I am sure that other authors would say differently.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Luton, went into town yesterday, to go to Waterstones, to see if they had any Nora Roberts books, shock of my life, the shop had closed down, did not even know they were closing. The only shop we have left now is WH Smith, the problem is I think, that alot of people buy books from Amazon (me included), alot of them are discounted, normally £6.99 shops, you can get Nora Roberts books for £4.89 on there site and free postage. Alot of other books are discounted to. Another thing is kindle is out now, or you can download it to your mobile, which I have done and also have downloaded it to my PC, some books are free or if not free discounted.

MOST books are in fact now discounted - it is rare for anyone now to pay full price, and herein is as you say, lies the problem. Too many middle men in publishing all wanting their cut and margins being squeeezed until there is nothing left. Nothing left for the publisher, nothing left for the author, and not enough left for book shops to survive. The industry will not regulate itself, so the only solution as far as I can see is to bring back the net book agreement, which should not have been abolished in the first place (everyone said this would happen, but they were ignored), the trouble is, the horse has already bolted ... I must admit, as much as I as an author hate discounting, I would buy a lot less books were it not for 3 for 2's and I increasingly buy from Amazon also.

Edited by Talisman

British Bookshops (well, at least my local branch) are now discounting everything by 20% off their already discounted prices. The problem is, on a lot of books, they are still more expensive than Amazon etc even with what works out as a 25 to 30% discount. There are some bargains though, as I said on Saturday I managed to pick up a copy of Kraken by China Mieville for £3.99.

It's still up in the air as to whether they are going to close or not, potential buyers are still interested by all accounts, but it doesn't look good.

British Bookshops in South East sold to WH Smith.

Hmm, not sure if that is good news or not, given that WHS aren't exactly bouyant these days themselves and their branch where I live is only a few doors along from BBS.

Yes, I saw this on the news yesterday too. (Btw the photo in the link is my local one in Tunbridge Wells.) We have a Smiths in TW but it's pretty dead most days so I don't know what their big plan will be. At least I can check out some bargains before the takeover. It's all bad news though , in my opinion. The state of the Book market is pretty dire.

I don't buy books in WHS any longer. I stopped when they ended their Clubcard, and shortly afterwards Bath was one of the stores trialling the now nationwide Waterstone's reward card - if I buy new books from shops I either use the independent one in Bath, Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights - or I use Waterstone's to get the points.

I live in Luton, went into town yesterday, to go to Waterstones, to see if they had any Nora Roberts books, shock of my life, the shop had closed down, did not even know they were closing.

Eleven stores ceased trading on 6 February. Waterstone's had already announced Slough, Maidenhead and Edinburgh East End were to be closed by the end of the year. Six further closures are as yet unknown.

The 11 closures were:

Dublin, Dawson Street

Dublin, Jervis Street

Colchester, Culver Square

Worcester, High Street

Guildford, North Street

Stafford, Guildhall

Hemel Hempstead, Marlowes Centre

Coventry, Cathedral Lanes

Tiverton

Luton

Chelmsford, Meadows

Source

Tiverton

Balls, that's the ONLY bookshop in my parents’ hometown, an ex-Ottakars. It was a great bookshop when they had it, and it's not that bad now. The problem is, they put the only independent bookshop in town out of business.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope no-one minds me adding info about Australian/NZ bookshops here...

Borders, Angus & Robertson, and Whitcoulls have been placed into voluntary administration. I don't know about Whitcoulls (NZ chain) but A&R was bought up by Borders a few years ago. 264 stores and 2,500 staff. :(

I take it that 'administration' for you guys is what we call bankruptsy? Borders here in the US just filed bankruptsy Chapter 11 and will be apparently be restructuring the company. I believe I heard the figure 1700 employees being laid off, but I'm not sure if the two in my immediate area are closing or not.

^ Gerout of our Britishly British thread!

:( But, but, I need a shoulder to cry on. :cry2:

I take it that 'administration' for you guys is what we call bankruptsy? Borders here in the US just filed bankruptsy Chapter 11 and will be apparently be restructuring the company. I believe I heard the figure 1700 employees being laid off, but I'm not sure if the two in my immediate area are closing or not.

I think they're the same, yes. I feel sorry for Angus & Robertson, and also Whitecoulls, which I just read has been around since the late 1800s.

I can't feel too much sympathy for Borders because they don't even seem to try. Books are incredibly expensive in Australian at the recommended retail price, and Borders often prices their books above this, which is just ridiculous. I knew they wouldn't last while they kept doing that. I feel bad for their employees though.