Michelle 2011

Michelle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got so caught up with the Hunger Games trilogy on audio, that I've just finished the last one. It's rare for me to read (or listen to) anything more than once, but I loved revisiting these.

I also forgot to mention that I listened to Knife before that. It's by the same author as Ultraviolet, but has a very different feel. It's a good one as an audio book, because it's like having a bedtime story read to you! biggrin.gif I've also spoked to the author on twitter, and she's lovely!

Book-wise, I've read Breathe by Cliff McNish, and I can't say I was that impressed. There were some good ideas, but I didn't like some of the twists. I'm now moving on to The Search for WondLa, which was sent to me to review. It's by the author of the Spiderwick Chronicles, and does appear to be aimed at a younger age range (about 9-12ish), but then I've only just started.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm now moving on to The Search for WondLa, which was sent to me to review. It's by the author of the Spiderwick Chronicles, and does appear to be aimed at a younger age range (about 9-12ish), but then I've only just started.

Just an update that I've read the first two parts of this, and am enjoying it. I'm very interested to see how it turns out. Audio-wise, I'm two-thirds through The Ritual by Adam Neville, which is really creepy!

My first is Black Swan Rising, and it arrived today, so I have to get on and get reading! biggrin.gif

Now this sounds right up my street! :D

I decided to get the ironing done, to aid with the guilt.. then I got caught up helping the kids clean and sort out their vintage Polly Pocket sets!

I've just read a couple of chapters in the bath.. and will have to do better tomorrow! ;)

Never mind the housework missus, get the cat to do the ironing or something and hurry up and finish the book so I can add it to my wishlist see what you thought of it!! :irked: *taps foot impatiently*

:giggle:

• 1 month later...

According to LibraryThing, I have read / listened to 42 books so far this year.. and yet I'm only on page 2 here! I must be bad at updating!

Black Swan Rising:

Black Swan Rising is the first book in a dark urban fantasy series. It’s written by a husband and wife team, which seems to work in its favour. Carol is the novelist, and Lee is a poet, and his influence shows in the writing.The main character, Garet Jones, is in her 20s, and dealing with problems – she has an elderly father, and they are struggling with debts in a failing economy. When she discovers an unusual silver box to which she seems to have connections, she agrees to try to open it. From this point on, she starts to find her world shifting. She’s introduced to the world of fey, meets goblins, a dragon and a vampire, and comes face to face with the demons of Dispair and Discord.

As a keen YA reader, I expected this to be similar to most other paranormal romance books out there, but it has a more adult feel to it. There is a lot of fantasy, and yet at the same time it seems to remain grounded in the real world. Garet takes time to come to terms with her discoveries, and she takes the reader with her. In addition, the characters aren’t black and white – there’s always that sense that some may not be what they seem, and should not be trusted.

Of course some of the ideas and characters have been done before, I think a totally unique book in this crowded genre is impossible. However, the overall story line is something I haven’t come across before, and there are some great character creations.

It’s a fast paced book, with plenty of details, story threads and characters throughout. Whilst I needed to know what would happen, I was sad to finish and leave the world. Thankfully the 2nd book is already published, so I will be returning soon.

For fans of urban fantasy, this is highly recommended.

Search for WondLa:

The Search for WondLa is the creation of Tont Di’Terlizzi, well known for The Spiderwick Chronicles. It tells the story of Eva Nine, who has been raised in an underground home by Muthr, a robot. She’s being prepared for her life outside, but when she gets there, she finds that it’s very different to what she was expecting.Chased by a baddie, Eva Nine sets out to find other humans, and her journey brings her into contact with unusual people and places. It’s worth pointing out that this is the first book in a trilogy, so by the end, her journey is not complete. It is still a nice ending though.

The book is a strange combination – it has an old fashioned fairy tale feel to it, and yet it’s set in the future, with sci-fi elements. It’s a combination which can take a while to get used to, but it’s worth persevering.

The illustrations are also unusual, based on a ‘two colour’ technique. It does add to the overall feel of the book, but I have to admit that I would have preferred full colour. The addition of illustrations make this a good book for those first moving into full length books, and I think the ideal age is somewhere between 8 and 12, depending on reading level. I think it’s particularly suited to those who enjoy the whole experience of a book – it’s certainly the sort of book which would be cherished by those who enjoy the story.

The Search for WondLa is supported by a website, where you can see examples of the artwork, play games, download desktop images etc. It also includes WondLa Vision, which can be activated using images in the book. Unfortunately I had problems making it work, but the demonstration looks good, so I will try again.

Audio - The Ritual started really well, but had a disappointing ending. Unfortunately it seemed to go a little over the top towards the end, and dragged on for too long.

I've also listened to Rebel, which is the next book after Knife. It's a good series, well suited to audio. Unfortunately the 3rd book doesn't seem to be available for audio yet.

I then moved on to the Tripods trilogy, which I loved. The very beginning is a little slow, but once it gets going, it's brilliant. I'm currently listening to the prequel, When the Tripods Came, and I'm not so keen. As I love the style, I've bought The Death of Grass to listen to next.

Back to books, my second Transworld book was The Secrets Between Us by Louise Douglas, which I' aiming to review this afternoon. I was also sent A Year Without Autumn by Liz Kessler, also to be reviewed later. Basically I thought it was a brilliant book for ages around 8-14, with some heavy themes, covered with a light touch.

Last night I started on The Night Circus, which has gotten off to an interesting start.

• 1 month later...

I am so behind with my reviews! I have to review Crippen for the Transworld Book Challenge, plus Haunting Violet and The Night Circus for Vine. At present I'm reading Blood Mining by Laura Wilkinson, sent to me by the author (rather good so far!) and Heroes of Olympus: Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan - my guilty pleasure! ;)

Audio.. I have listened to The Death of Grass by John Christopher, which was pretty good, and Bedbugs by Ben Winter which was sow building, but excellent - it had a classic psychological horror feel to it. Have now moved on to The Waiting Room by FG Cottam, which seems to have mixed reviews on amazon!

Finally I have some reviews written..

Crippen by John Boyne

In this book, John Boyne takes a rather infamous murderer, and tells a story which is part fiction, and part fact. And I’ll be honest, I’m still undecided exactly how I feel about it.

Firstly, the story… there are two tales to be told, one being Crippen’s life, and the events leading to his wife’s murder, and the other his attempted escape, and eventual capture. The book jumps between different times, but they are easy to follow. The attempted escape takes place on the SS Montrose, where some of the other passengers become a part of the story.

As a story, told on it’s own, it would make an interesting enough book. Crippen’s early life helps to build up his character, and Ethel Le Neve makes a rather fascinating mistress, as someone who appears to be rather sweet, and yet also very cunning.

My uncertainly comes from the issue of writing a fictional account of a well known murder. Having reflected, I think I would rather know that the character and events are based on known facts, not a fictional account of what may have happened. If reading fiction, I would rather all characters and events are made up.

In addition, Crippen is portrayed very differently to how I would expect, which affected the way I read the book. I’m not sure exactly what I expected, but I got the impression that the author felt sorry for him, and was presenting a man pushed to murder by his hard life, and relationships.

However, it did make me realise that I actually knew very little – my only real memory is of the Chamber of Horrors in Madam Tussauds, and vague memories of a film. Reading the book has lead me to read more about the case, and has made me realise he probably was a strange quiet man, rather than the cold bloodied killer I always imagine.

Reviews are rather mixed about this book, so it’s probably one to try for yourself.

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Set in Victorian England, this is a mixture of paranormal and a murder mystery. Violet's mother is a fake medium, fooling her upper class clients, and I enjoyed reading about some of the methods employed. It makes for an interesting setting, and background for the story.

Violet unexpectedly starts to see ghosts, with one in particular who really wants to get her attention. This isn't a 'gift' she likes, but she feels that she wants to help this particular ghost.

Unfortunately the murder mystery part was for me the least enjoyable. I wasn't convinced by the motive of the eventual murderer, and I've certainly read better.

The romance was, however, more enjoyable. Violet was caught up in society, with a potential suitor.. but it's obvious who she should be with. I did feel that the cover was a little misleading, as the character appears younger that the one portrayed on the cover.

Recommended for teen readers and above - it's not perfect, but a decent enough read.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I have to admit that at first this book just didn’t appeal to me, especially with the hype of it being set to be ‘the publishing sensation of 2011′. However, my reviewing instinct kicked in, and when I saw it offered on vine, I decided I should give it a go. And I have to say I was glad I did.

The main storyline is about a ‘competition’ between two magicians, which is played out through two young people, Celia and Marco. It’s the setting, however, which makes this book come alive. The Night Circus is a magical circus like no other, and it’s so well described that you find yourself wishing to experience it. The circus arrives in 1886, but the storyline is also set before and after this time. I understand some have found it a little confusing, but I managed to follow ok.

I found myself really drawn into the book, enjoying the various characters, and loving the setting. I especially fell in love with the Murray twins. This is most certainly a fantasy book, but if that’s something you enjoy, it has a rather magical feeling to it. From not appealing to me at all, it has become one of my favourite books of the year.

BloodMining by Laura Wilkinson

Megan Evens appears to have it all: brains, beauty, a successful career as a foreign correspondent. But deep down she is lonely and rootless. Pregnant, craving love but unable to trust after the destructive affair with her baby’s father she returns to the security of her birthplace in Wales. When Megan’s son is later diagnosed with a terminal condition, a degenerative, hereditary disease, everything she believed to be true about her origins is thrown into question. To save her son Megan must unearth the truth; she must excavate family history and memory. Enlisting the help of former colleague Jack North, a man with a secret of his own, Megan embarks on a journey of self discovery and into the heart of what it means to be a parent.

I was offered a review copy of the book by the author, and I wasn’t really sure what to expect. It’s published by a very small publisher, but it very much deserves a larger publisher who can get it on the high street shelves.

The heart of this story is about the relationships between mother and daughter, questioning what it means to be a parent. Megan and Elizabeth provide the central characters, and as we find out more about them, we also watch their relationship grow and evolve. It’s a story any mother or daughter will take something from.

The timing and setting of the story adds a fascinating layer. The story starts in 2048, where things are recognisable, whilst slightly different. It’s not the technological driven future of sci-fi books, nor is it instantly recognisable as a dystopia. There are, however, hints of something which has happened to change life completely for many people.

The second part of the story brings us back to 2015, where these events are explored in more detail. Whereas the first part tells us Megan’s story, with her journey into parenthood, and the pain of having an ill child, this second part belongs to Elizabeth, her mother. It allows us to explore her character more, set to the background of the events which changed her life.

Finally we return to Megan’s story, as she continues the fight for her son, and her own personal struggle to understand her past.

This is an interesting and emotional début, and is highly recommended.

I've finished Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper - it's an historical fiction book set in Victorian London, the setting and background is good, but the plot is a bit predictable. I'm about to start Pure by Julianna Baggott, which I'm quite excited about.

Audio-wise, I have 11.22.63 by Stephen King... I think I'm about 8 hours in, and I've enjoyed it so far. It's a long book, and on audio I'm able to get lost in the story.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still reading Pure.. I'm a little divided about how I feel so far, so I'll wait until I finish then reflect. :)

Today I finished listening to 11.22.63 - it was just a little too long, but was a great listen. There's no real horror, just good story telling. :) I now have to decide between The Knife of Never Letting Go and Divergent.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a quiet little thread, but I thought I'd wrap it up for 2011.

My review of Pure is here: http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/pure-by-julianna-baggott/ As you can see, I remained a little unsure of how I thought about it, but I have to say it has stayed with me, and I think it's going to be a hit.

I started The Knife of Letting Go, but for some reason, I couldn't stick with it. I may go back to it one day, but have given up for now. Divergent by Veronica Roth was a surprise hit. I came across it browsing through audible, and it hooked me pretty quickly. It's set in a world where people live in distinct groups, each having certain qualities as most important. At 16, you can decide whether to stay in your group, or move into another, depending on what you think your strongest quality is.

It starts as a 'coming of age' book, but expands into more.. and I understand the next book is out in a few months.

I'm finishing the year by reading This Dark Endeavour and listening to The Final Empire.

According to my librarything records I've read and listened to 58 books this year.. and I also know I have quite a few unfinished. It's been a decent reading year, but I wouldn't say one of my best. Highlights include Before I Go To Sleep, Cuckoo, Ender's Game, Ultraviolet, Bloodmining, A Discovery of Witches, The Night Circus, 22.11.63 and Divergent. :)

I've finished Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper - it's an historical fiction book set in Victorian London, the setting and background is good, but the plot is a bit predictable.

This is on my Amazon Wish List. I might see if the library have it instead. :)

58 isn't a bad total (I managed only 2 more myself) - I hope 2012 is a good reading year for you. :)