Maureen's reading blog (started 2007)

Maureen

Looovvvvveeed The Mephisto Club and have just finished Keeping the Dead so am posting it to KB tomorrow. Did you join this bookring? Think I'll start The Bone Garden tonight. :roll:

I do not join in the book rings as I am from Malta, and I would think postage to here would be more expensive.

Originally Posted by Janet viewpost.gif

There is a sequel to Angela's Ashes called 'Tis, which is well worth a read too. :)

I heard 'Tis is not as good as Angela's Ashes.

Edited by Maureen

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have since read bits of Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman. This is a collection of short stories - some even only a few paragraphs long. Have not made up my mind about this book yet - some of the stories are rather bizzare, and a few i could not even finish. As I have metioned before I have a problem with fantasy - so this might be one factor - but, well, if stuck on a desert island I hope this is not the only book I have with me.

• 2 weeks later...
Finished Linda La Plante's Above Suspicion. A nicely woven story - classic good guys vs bad guy....easy read.

Have you read Lynda La Plante's Trial and Retribution -series? I've read one of them (a great read!) and have two others waiting in my bookshelf. The tv-series are also great, I think they are the best British detective series (along with Minette Walters's series). I might try Above Suspicion too if it's good.

Have you read Lynda La Plante's Trial and Retribution -series? I've read one of them (a great read!) and have two others waiting in my bookshelf. The tv-series are also great, I think they are the best British detective series (along with Minette Walters's series). I might try Above Suspicion too if it's good.

The only other book of La Plante's which I have read is Bella Mafia, and it was ages ago. I did not know that there was a tv series, either.

Just read Harlan Coben's Gone for Good. Wow! i loved the story. It kept twisting and turning like a big roller coaster. Mr Coben really knows how to spin a tale. For those who love thrillers, this book is a must read.

I have 'anything by Harlan Coben' on my wishlist as I've never read anything my him before but they seem to come highly recommended so I shall narrow it down to 'Gone for Good'. :)

I am still gridlocked in 'Gridlock'.

I did promise - but I have to buy 'Wish you well', and as there is a book fair this w/end, I was hoping to get it there.

I was hoping the library may have it for you. However, whenever and wherever you can get a copy, I have patience. :) When I enjoy a book that I think my friends may also enjoy I sometimes get carried away as I want them to have the pleasure of reading it.

Nope, they have other books by David Baldacci, but not that one. I did not manage to buy it at the b fair. There were too many people for comfortable browsing, and my son was going crazy with wanting to buy this, that and the other, :) so I was helping him with his choices. We managed to get a good 6 or 7 books for him.

I finished Gridlock....phew. Although the book was okish, it seemed to drag on and on for me....

Then I read J Harris's Five quarters of the Orange - in less than two days. Good story, strong and likable characters. (and I loved the food descriptions) IMO this is the best Harris I've read so far.

Then I read J Harris's Five quarters of the Orange - in less than two days. Good story, strong and likable characters. (and I loved the food descriptions) IMO this is the best Harris I've read so far.

I really enjoyed this book but, Blackberry Wine, is still my favourite book by Joanne Harris. :lol:

Read Lucy Talk, by Fiona Walker. Chicklit. Nothing much to say about it...

Also read Ben Elton's High Society. This is a tongue in cheek look at drugs in today's world, politics, and the law. At times amusing, but also heartbreaking, there is the ring of truth throughout the narration, as the reader gets a look at the lives of those members of society that are usually ignored, the drug addicts, prostitutes and sex slaves. Quite enjoyable.

Read a book recommended by someone I know, which I knew I will not enjoy so much. It is California Angel by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg. Totally a figment of the author's imagination! She fashioned the heroine totally on her looks - on the fly leaf there is a pic of the author, who is a green-eyed red head - as is the heroine :)

• 2 weeks later...

...but was disappointed at the ending. The characters were all nice and three dimentional, the story was going along nicely, the plot was good, but I felt the ending was not good enough for the book. It felt as if the author wanted to finish the book, but could not come up with a good solid end to the tale. Was a bit disappointed actually, as I had enjoyed it up to the last chapter or so. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Have started off 2009 by reading Vanish, by Tess Gerritsen. I enjoyed this book, as I did all of Gerritsen's others. The story deals with an issue which is all too real at the moment, unfortunately, and not just in the US. Once again we meet Jane Rizzoli, and Maura Isles, two 'characters' which I have come to like, and a few other new ones. I would definately recommend this book.

Have started off 2009 by reading Vanish, by Tess Gerritsen. I enjoyed this book, as I did all of Gerritsen's others. The story deals with an issue which is all too real at the moment, unfortunately, and not just in the US. Once again we meet Jane Rizzoli, and Maura Isles, two 'characters' which I have come to like, and a few other new ones. I would definately recommend this book.

Picking this up from the library tomorrow, looking forward to reading it. I`ve enjoyed all the other Tess Gerritsen books I`ve read, but it`s still good to have a recommendation. :D