Maureen's reading blog (started 2007)

Maureen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read The book Thief, by Markus Suzak, and Black Dog by Stephen Booth. Both enjoyable.

The book Thief took me a while to get into, but after the first two chapters, I was devouring this book like a bag of M&Ms. Black Dog was highly enjoyable too - a good old mystery, seasoned with a pinch of romance, a dose of sex, and peppered with clues. KEpt me reading way past bedtime.

Finished The Kite Runner. A lovely book, about a tragic story - one of many - in war torn Afghanistan.

Started on Predator, by Patricia Cornwell. I last read Trace of hers, and was really disappointed about what she did to Pete Marino. Hope she manages to pick up some of the pieces in this book.

Started on Predator, by Patricia Cornwell. I last read Trace of hers, and was really disappointed about what she did to Pete Marino. Hope she manages to pick up some of the pieces in this book.

..finished this - it is better than Trace, but still not as good as her earlier Scarpetta Novels. IMO Marino was boosted up a notch too - perhaps she got some bad reviews about that....

...have no idea whether there is another book after this, but the story certainly does not end here...

Managed to read a chunk of Dead Famous by Ben Elton. Definately gets the thumbs up from me - and I have now gotten a new author to look out for - I think I would have read a couple more of his books before the year is up. IMO this whodunnit is better than the first book of his I read - this being 'A blast from the past'.

I'm dying to read 'Neverwhere' I,ve been looking out for it for ages :lol:

I love Ben Elton, I read 'Dead Famous' a couple of months ago and since then I've read 'Popcorn' which I thought was good and 'Blast From The Past' which was my least favourite.

I do have 'Gridlock' on my TBR but it doesn't really say pick me up :D

• 3 weeks later...

On holiday I read Entertaining Ambrose, by Deirdre Purcell, which is a sweet story about May, a normal housewife and mother, married to a criminal. May has a lovable character, and I was rooting for her before long. Nice story.

I also read Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs, which, as usual for this author, did not disappoint me. Tempe was on top form, and the story was great. I also noticed that she has a new book just out :D

• 2 weeks later...

You're right Angel, they don't.

I am currently reading The Quiet Game, by Greg Iles. The name of the book is somewhat boring, however the book is not. This is about a lawyer (Penn Cage) and writer who returns home to Natchez - Missisippi with his daughter after the death of his young wife, but gets caught up in a 30 yr old murder, in which famous, powerful and well known figures seem to be involved. A dash of spice comes from the attraction which flares up between Penn and Caitlin, who is a beautiful newspaper journalist.

Edited by Maureen

I also read Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs, which, as usual for this author, did not disappoint me. Tempe was on top form, and the story was great. I also noticed that she has a new book just out :D

I have read all the Tempe series by Kathy Reichs as well and thought they were brill! I would consider them books which I dont even have to get an opinion on now as I'm sure they're gonna be a good read. Her new book is called Devil Bones I believe - I'm waiting for it to come out in paperbak form!:irked:

Just finished Triptych, by Karin Slaughter. Not part of the Grant County series, this is a brilliant stand alone, with a story that kept me turning the pages.

I have Triptych on my TBR list. Good to hear its a great read too!:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Have not updated this for a while!

I have read Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. It is 'the memoires of a childhood' during the war, where hardships and poverty where the norm, and childhood was over by the time you're 5 years of age. A lovely book, although heart wrenching at times.

I also read Tess Gerritsen's The Mephisto Club. A page turner, which i managed to devour in two days! TG has yet to disappoint me. :D

Have not updated this for a while!

I have read Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. It is 'the memoires of a childhood' during the war, where hardships and poverty where the norm, and childhood was over by the time you're 5 years of age. A lovely book, although heart wrenching at times.

I also read Tess Gerritsen's The Mephisto Club. A page turner, which i managed to devour in two days! TG has yet to disappoint me. :D

I read Angela's Ashes a few years ago and thought it was a lovely book too, a bit depressing sometimes and sometimes I thought my goodness surely this hardship couldnt get any worse, but I thought it was interesting and well written. There is a film of the same name based on the book with Robert Carlisle as the main character, although I haven't seen it.

Looovvvvveeed The Mephisto Club and have just finished Keeping the Dead so am posting it to KB tomorrow. Did you join this bookring? Think I'll start The Bone Garden tonight. :D

There is a sequel to Angela's Ashes called 'Tis, which is well worth a read too. :D

Yes I vaguely remember hearing of that but I don't know what its about. Does it carry on from Angela's Ashes or is it a stand alone novel?

Btw loving your penguin! (It is a penguin right??? lol)

There is a sequel to Angela's Ashes called 'Tis, which is well worth a read too. :D

Yes I vaguely remember hearing of that but I don't know what its about. Does it carry on from Angela's Ashes or is it a stand alone novel?

It's about Frank's experiences after he goes to the USA at the end of the book (it's not a novel - more of an autobiography :D ).

Wasn't there a further sequel??

Teacher Man, I believe. :mad: As much as I enjoyed them, I was all 'Franked out' by the time I got to the end of 'Tis!

Having read them all, I think Angela's Ashes was the most novel-like of them. As Janet said, 'Tis is more like an autobiography. Then again Teacher Man is more about, well, like the title suggests, about being a teacher in the US. So I found it a bit preach-y at times. But I really did enjoy them all! Teacher Man was closer to your "normal" novel, there wasn't that gut-twisting feeling you got when you read Angela's Ashes, and made it so special.