Maureen's reading blog (started 2007)

Maureen

You're right! Amended.

Have just finished The Rosary Girls, by Richard Montanari. It is my first book by this author, and I was not disappointed.

Although I cannot get why he decided to sacrifice a little girl instead of a teenanger for his last victim!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right! Amended.

Have just finished The Rosary Girls, by Richard Montanari. It is my first book by this author, and I was not disappointed.

Although I cannot get why he decided to sacrifice a little girl instead of a teenanger for his last victim!

I really enjoyed this one and I'm waiting for the library to get the others

You're right! Amended.

I really enjoyed this one and I'm waiting for the library to get the others

I'm so glad you both enjoyed this. Its one of, if not my favourite book! :readingtwo: The next ones are just as good.

Have just finished True Evil, by Greg Iles. It is a truely great thriller, which I really enjoyed. The main character is a FBI hostage negotiator called Alexandra, who has recently fallen from grace with the FBI because a hostage situation she was involved in went wrong. During this situation, lives were lost, and Alex suffered disfigurements to her face. Then her sister, on her deathbed, implored her to look after her son for her, as she was convinced that her husband was the one who killed her, in a very inhumane and cruel way, and she did not want their son raised by a monster. At first Alex thought that her sister was wrong, and that her deatbed accusions were unfounded....but then began to think otherwise. But could she prove what she was thinking? And was this even possible?

For all the people who love these types of thrillers, I would certainly recommend this book.

• 2 weeks later...

Still in the mood for Greg Iles, I started on his 'Sleep No More' This is another thriller, but the topic is very different. In fact, it is quite an unusual, bizarre story. However, as with all of Iles' books I have picked up so far, I could not put it down.

The main characters are John, a married respected member of the community, and Eve, a sexy woman who turned his whole world upside down.

The first time he saw Eve, she said something that made him think of his first love, as she said things that only Mallory knew. But Mallory was found raped and murdered, 10 years before. So how could Eve know these things? And who was she really?

Edited by Maureen

Time for some easy to read chick lit - and I chose Bookends, by Jane Green. I read this book in one sitting! The story is nice, and very plausable. The characters could be some of my friends! It is about a group of friends who were at Uni together, and their lives during this time and afterwards. Cosy, easy story - just the thing for a cold winter's evening, while curled up with a mug of hot chocolate!

Glad you enjoyed Bookends. Have you read any other Jane Green? I really enjoyed her first few novels, but I couldn't even finish Babyville and was then disappointed with most of them until Life Swap and then her most recent book The Beach House was a return to form, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't read Second Chance yet, but it's on the shelf waiting for me :giggle:

Time for some easy to read chick lit - and I chose Bookends, by Jane Green. I read this book in one sitting! The story is nice, and very plausable. The characters could be some of my friends! It is about a group of friends who were at Uni together, and their lives during this time and afterwards. Cosy, easy story - just the thing for a cold winter's evening, while curled up with a mug of hot chocolate!

This one sounds familiar and am sure I read it and remembering enjoying it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, forgot to update this for a while.

Read Black Cross by Greg Iles. A good story set during the war, which outlines the life of two people who wanted to fight against total opression by the Nazis. Through out the book, there is a ring of truth. I could not help but devour this story in a very short time, as I found myself fascinated by the horror of some of the atrocities described, the heroism of some people, and the strength and courage of others. I would certainly recommend this book.

After Black Cross I needed some thing different, so I chose The woman on the bus by Pauline McLynne. If you have ever been bored by the routine that is life, getting up in the morning, going to work, coming home, fixing dinner, watching telly, going to sleep to wake of to more of the same, this book is a nice light read. Ruth's life was just like that - a routinely boring excistance, further complicated by her affair with a married man. An uncomplicated, nice chick lit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished Sleep Pale Sister, by Joanne Harris. It is totally different to the other books by Joanne Harris I have read till now. It is about an artist, Henry Chester, who is looking for the perfect model to pose for him, and he finally finds her in a nine year old girl named Effie. As time passes he asks her mother to marry her, as he feels he must keep her safe and pure, and he can only do that if he makes her his. Effie seems to be a pale, almost ghostly being, and her will and character seem to have never developed...almost as if her essence was used up in all the paintings she sat for, and she is now just left with a husk.

I found this book quite difficult to read, apart from the fact it is set in the Victorian era, and everything sounds dark, drab and melanchony, the characters are not endearing at all, the story is strange and macabre and there is a lot of imagery and conjuration going on.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not updated this for a while - read Marshmellows for breakfast - Dorothy Koomson. Chicklit, not much to say about it - the story seems very implausible.

Now reading The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver. I'm thinking I've read this book before - but forgot the story.

The Coffin Dancer was hugely enjoyable - love Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme books. Even though I had read it before (a long time ago - I forgot the story) I enjoyed the little twists and turns of the plot up to the end.

I have now started 31 Dream Street by Lisa Jewell, which a friend thought I'd like.

The Coffin Dancer was hugely enjoyable - love Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme books. Even though I had read it before (a long time ago - I forgot the story) I enjoyed the little twists and turns of the plot up to the end.

I have now started 31 Dream Street by Lisa Jewell, which a friend thought I'd like.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Coffin Dancer, I just finished The Bone Collector last night and am shortly on my way to the library to get The Coffin Dancer. Have you read all of the Lincoln Rhyme books?

I have now started Ben Elton's Inconceivable. I am in two minds about this book - I love Elton's particular sense of humour, but the whole book is set as a collection of letters the main characters are writing to themselves, listing their thoughts and feelings as a means of therapy. I don't know if a whole book of letters will work for me....

Edited by Maureen

I finished this on Friday (24th). Original story, funny and sad at the same time. A must read for would be parents, who are having a hard time conceiving.

I have also read Tess Gerritsen's Body Double. I read it in a day and a half - and barely did amything else but important stuff. It is a totally riveting story - in typical Gerritsen fashion. I really love this author! I had read all the prequels, and 2 sequels, but had yet to read Body Double. I was in for a treat. Definately recommend!

I have now started Ben Elton's Inconceivable. I am in two minds about this book - I love Elton's particular sense of humour, but the whole book is set as a collection of letters the main characters are writing to themselves, listing their thoughts and feelings as a means of therapy. I don't know if a whole book of letters will work for me....

I thought this was the best of his I have read. I find his books so variable, should I like one does not have any bearing whatsoever that I will like any more. I have really struggled through a couple of his others.