Perks of Indpendent Bookstores

Because we are the only independent bookstore we have SO much freedom to promote our local authors! I was recently asked to handle the book signings and promotions of these authors and I'm excited. At this very moment, there is an author who wants me to set up a book signing for him. I hope I get it right! This will also look fabulous on my resume!

can't get that kind of service in chain bookstores, thats for sure!

No you can't - as an author myself the last time I did a book signing in a chain book store it was a total disaster - they hadn't even put a poster up to advertise it. Contrast that with friends who have done events in independent stores, where they went out of their way to help, contacting local press and radio, and doing all the stuff that the author would normally do themselves !

That's a shame that happened June :friends3: you deserve better :friends3:

Good luck Katrina, I know you will do a fantastic job and what an excellent opportunity for you. :friends3:

Take one small table, a handful of pens, a pile of books, one author and put up a poster saying "Free Chocolate, Queue Here" in the window - sorted!

My local Waterstones seems to do quite a bit to promote local authors, or at least they quite often have signings labelled "local author" anyway.

It doesn't always work though, I was in there a few weeks back and a rather lonely looking woman was sat behind her table (and large pile of unsold books) looking hopefully at everyone who walked past in the vain hope that someone was going to stop and buy a copy of her book. As I walked past she even asked "Would you like to buy a copy of my book?" - a comment that positively dripped desperation. Looking at it, it turned out to be a self-help, goodness and well being type book. I did feel sorry for her, but not sorry enough to buy her hippy-chick book! (I politely commented that it wasn't really my bag and moved on, quickly!).

That sounds me in Waterstones in Staines a few years ago - embarrassed is not the word - I might take you up om the chocolate suggestion though - although I suspect my book writing days are over - after five years writing the first one, I don't think there is anything left to say !

Tali, I don't believe thats true! A writer is a writer regardless if something is published consistently or not. You've had some mega stuff going on in your life which was draining and exhausting. It can put you off your mojo but it doesnt mean that you will never regain it!

Maybe you're right - I guess I will have to see. I did have the idea for some children's books some time ago, but never did round to it, so perhaps I will. You are right sbout the exhaustion bit though !

I think it depends on the store and the staff at the store. I used to work in a chain bookshop and the author events were often very good. Especially ones for local authors where the turn out from the general public was strong. It used to make me wonder when the authors wouldn't say hello to the staff though... As long as you have enthusiastic and engaged staff I don't think it really matters which shop it is...

It's great to be put in charge of that though! You must be really excited :cool: