Bobblybear's Books Read - 2011

bobblybear

:readingtwo:Hi bobbly....what a great mixture of books you have read. Was just having a browse through your reading list. I have the Help on my TBR pile too.

Hi - thanks, Inver. The Help is a brilliant book; the best I have read in a while. :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth Dare Kill - Gordon Ferris

This was a £1.00 deal for the Kindle, which is why it caught my eye - along with the multitude of rave reviews it got. Unfortunately, it didn't quite grab me as much as it grabbed others, and even though it is only a few days since I finished it, I struggle to remember many details of it. :blush: I was studying for an exam at the same time, so that may be why. :giggle:

A few things didn't ring true for me, like Danny's instant friendship with Val (which I suppose in a way is explained in the end, but nevertheless it irritated me at the time). I also had to keep reminding myself it was set just after WW2; for some reason I just couldn't grasp that. Also, I wasn't that impressed with the actual plot - it just seemed to waver all over the place, and I didn't really care enough about the characters to be concerned about the outcome. However, the majority of people have raved about this, so I'm obviously just the odd one out. :lol:

2/5

Truth Dare Kill - Gordon Ferris

This was a £1.00 deal for the Kindle, which is why it caught my eye - along with the multitude of rave reviews it got. Unfortunately, it didn't quite grab me as much as it grabbed others, and even though it is only a few days since I finished it, I struggle to remember many details of it. :blush: I was studying for an exam at the same time, so that may be why. :giggle:

A few things didn't ring true for me, like Danny's instant friendship with Val (which I suppose in a way is explained in the end, but nevertheless it irritated me at the time). I also had to keep reminding myself it was set just after WW2; for some reason I just couldn't grasp that. Also, I wasn't that impressed with the actual plot - it just seemed to waver all over the place, and I didn't really care enough about the characters to be concerned about the outcome. However, the majority of people have raved about this, so I'm obviously just the odd one out. :lol:

2/5

I trust your review more than the ones on Amazon!

• 2 weeks later...

IT - Stephen King

After The Stand, this is my second favorite Stephen King book, however I think I have re-read it too many times. :doh: I found myself rushing through it just to finish it (and that took me half a month!), instead of immersing myself in the story, mainly because I knew exactly what to expect. I wish I could capture that feeling I had when I read it for the first time, when I had no idea where the story was going. I still loved all the characters (well, aside from IT of course :P ), and I think Stephen King is such a fantastic writer. It's a shame a lot of people limit their view of him as someone who just writes horror stories; he tells a great yarn and I think has a great writing style.

5/5

IT - Stephen King

After The Stand, this is my second favorite Stephen King book, however I think I have re-read it too many times. :doh: I found myself rushing through it just to finish it (and that took me half a month!), instead of immersing myself in the story, mainly because I knew exactly what to expect. I wish I could capture that feeling I had when I read it for the first time, when I had no idea where the story was going. I still loved all the characters (well, aside from IT of course :P ), and I think Stephen King is such a fantastic writer. It's a shame a lot of people limit their view of him as someone who just writes horror stories; he tells a great yarn and I think has a great writing style.

5/5

It is a superb book! King is so amazing at the character portrayals, every one of the characters in this book (and others) feel so real whenever I read this book. It's like they truly existed.

Affluenza - Clive Hamilton

This is a non-fiction book that I have had on my TBR shelf for probably around 7 - 8 years. The only reason I read it is to 'get it out of the way', so it's probably unfair to review it from that point of view. :lol: It is a study on the spending patterns of Australians (the author is Australian), and how despite it being one of the richest countries, vast numbers of it's population feels like they are struggling to make ends meet, financially. Even though people generally have more than enough to meet 'basic needs', the definition of 'needs' has changed to include the latest techno gadgets, several holidays a year, and brand new cars. It was kind of like an anaemic version of No Logo by Naomi Klein. I didn't really feel like I learned anything that the average person can't figure out themselves by observing what it going on around them.

3/5

Hmm I haven't read Affluenza - I spotted it on my brother's shelves last week but seeing as he lives in Australia and I live in New Zealand I couldn't really borrow.

I think it's very interesting though that intellectually I know I have everything I need and more I still get tempted by the latest gadgets and must haves. At the moment it is top of the line baby cots and strollers. Do I really need the most expensive push chair? Can I get it second hand? I keep thinking this but then a part of me thinks, bugger it, I can afford it, why not go all out. And yet that is so wasteful - I could use the money for something worthwhile.

I'm just wondering whether this book will change your spending habits at all?

I doubt it will change my spending habits, and I think as long as you don't rack up loads of debt there is nothing wrong with buying what you like. After all, that's why we spend so much time working. Most people hate working, so we may as well put the money we earn to good use and spend it on something we enjoy. Maybe that's just a justification though, as I too spend money on things that I don't 'need', and that I can easily go without. But I do enjoy buying gadgets, and nice things, and sometimes just spending for the fun of it. :blush: As they say, you can't take it with you when you go!!

Hi Bobblybear , I read Affluenza about two years ago. I must admit I really enjoyed it and it had an important social message for me that I had not thought about. Your review didn't seem to mention the most important part, that it was a sort of consumer sickness. Or maybe you didn't agree with that bit very strongly? I went on to read Not Buying It which sort of backed it up but from one person's more personal experience.

To be honest, I didn't really feel strongly about much of Affluenza. I don't know if it's because I had read No Logo, and I felt that was much more indepth and thought provoking, and as I was reading it I kept comparing the two. I don't know if it is so much a consumer sickness, rather than a case of people not stopping to think, and exercise some self-control. If you enjoyed Affluenza, then you will most likely enjoy No Logo, though it is a wee bit dated now. :)

A is for Alibi - Sue Grafton

I have seen these books around ('A is for...', 'B is for...', etc.) for a long time, but only now have decided to give it a go. Have to say, I was a bit disappointed in the plot and the telling of the story. I think that a lot of what makes a thriller or detective story compelling is the feeling of mystery, suspense and excitement, but this had zero of that. :huh: It was a very cut and dried story, with the main character just questioning a few people, and going for many long jogging sessions in between. It just seemed to lack any.....excitement. Actually, it was just s l o w. It had one good thing going for it though...it was a reasonable short book. :giggle:

2/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson

I'm a huge fan of Bill Bryson, and have been since I first read A Walk In The Woods probably about 10 years ago. So, having said that, I don't know why this book has sat unread on my shelf for nearly five years. :blush:

I wouldn't say it's an autobiography as such, but more of a memoir of Bill Bryson's childhood, and what it was like to be a child of the 1950's and 1960's. I've always had a very idealistic view of life pre-1960's; everything just seemed so innocent and well-meaning, and this book confirms my view. Although interestingly, apparently teenagers were the number one fear of people in the 1950's. That made me chuckle, thinking of a lot of today's teenagers. :giggle:

The book is full of stories of his own life - typical 'boys will be boys' tales of mischief - but he also goes into details about the lifestyle of the 1950's. Such as the numerous nuclear tests that were carried out, and the excitement, rather than fear that this stirred up in people (people used to flock to some of these tests with picnic chairs, and sit there and watch them!!). He talks of the joys of household appliances (the 1950's was 'the last time that people would be thrilled to own a toaster or waffle iron'), the automobiles of the time, getting their first TV, the department stores of his home town (Des Moines, Iowa), and much more.

Of course, there is the usual dose of Bryson humour, which just makes it even more enjoyable.

5/5

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Bobblybear. You've made it sound very inviting and fun to read. I really wish I had been alive during the 50s and 60s! I also really enjoyed A Walk in the Woods - so much so that I wanted to hop on the next plane to America and started hiking the Appalachian trail myself. :D

Do you think you will bother continuing with the Sue Grafton series?

Do you think you will bother continuing with the Sue Grafton series?

Probably not, or at least not in the immediate future. I've got too many other books on my TBR list that I guess I would enjoy more. :smile2:

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson

I'm a huge fan of Bill Bryson, and have been since I first read A Walk In The Woods probably about 10 years ago. So, having said that, I don't know why this book has sat unread on my shelf for nearly five years. :blush:

I wouldn't say it's an autobiography as such, but more of a memoir of Bill Bryson's childhood, and what it was like to be a child of the 1950's and 1960's. I've always had a very idealistic view of life pre-1960's; everything just seemed so innocent and well-meaning, and this book confirms my view. Although interestingly, apparently teenagers were the number one fear of people in the 1950's. That made me chuckle, thinking of a lot of today's teenagers. :giggle:

The book is full of stories of his own life - typical 'boys will be boys' tales of mischief - but he also goes into details about the lifestyle of the 1950's. Such as the numerous nuclear tests that were carried out, and the excitement, rather than fear that this stirred up in people (people used to flock to some of these tests with picnic chairs, and sit there and watch them!!). He talks of the joys of household appliances (the 1950's was 'the last time that people would be thrilled to own a toaster or waffle iron'), the automobiles of the time, getting their first TV, the department stores of his home town (Des Moines, Iowa), and much more.

Of course, there is the usual dose of Bryson humour, which just makes it even more enjoyable.

5/5

Sounds good Bobblybear. I have a few Bill Bryson's loaded onto my kindle, haven't read any yet, not sure if this si one of them....

Vodkafan, all of Bryson's books are worthy of a read, but my favourite would have to be A Short History of Nearly Everything. Funny and educational. I plan on re-reading some of his books, except I'm trying to avoid re-reading anything, as I have too many new books to read. :thud:

I gave up on The Lacuna last night, but I figure I may as well say a few comments about it. :rolleyes: I hate giving up on a book. I don't know why, as I have no problems giving up on a bad movie, or a bad meal, or whatever else. But I really struggled with this one. I got to about 31%, and I'd been struggling since about 15%. I was so disappointed, as I was expecting this to be as good as The Poisonwood Bible, but you can't even compare the two.

The Poisonwood Bible has such an interesting plot, and characters that were....full of character. The Lacuna just waffled on with no real direction. It was told through diary entries of the main character, and maybe that's why I couldn't get into it - because there was no point of view other than his, even when he was a child. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, but it just didn't. And in the end, I just didn't care in the slightest about any of the characters. Oh, and the politics put me off as well. :rolleyes: So, one I won't bother with again, heh.

That's a shame about The Lacuna Bobblybear I have it on my reading pile.I liked the Poisonwood Bible but I did think it dragged in parts as well but it was one of those books I found myself still thinking about a long time after I'd finished reading it.

The Checkout Girl - Tazeen Ahmad

I absolutely loved this book. The author writes about her 6 month stint as a Cog (Checkout Girl/Guy) at Sainsbury's, during the peak of the recession. It's such a fascinating insight into something that almost everyone can relate to. She tells us all about the different customers (some obnoxious, most quite nice) that come through her tills, random security checks of staff, reverse shopping (ie. putting goods back on the shelf, that customers have dumped at the tills - this can take hours), mystery customers, 'observations' by till captains to ensure the Cog's are engaging enough with the customers, having to work beyond shifts, being required to scan 17 items/minute and getting marked down if you don't. It sounds like a horrendously stressful job, and to be honest I don't think I would be confident enough to be customer-facing.

It's an easy-read, and even though it can be a bit repetitive it is never boring. Loved it.

5/5

The Checkout Girl - Tazeen Ahmad

I absolutely loved this book. The author writes about her 6 month stint as a Cog (Checkout Girl/Guy) at Sainsbury's, during the peak of the recession. It's such a fascinating insight into something that almost everyone can relate to. She tells us all about the different customers (some obnoxious, most quite nice) that come through her tills, random security checks of staff, reverse shopping (ie. putting goods back on the shelf, that customers have dumped at the tills - this can take hours), mystery customers, 'observations' by till captains to ensure the Cog's are engaging enough with the customers, having to work beyond shifts, being required to scan 17 items/minute and getting marked down if you don't. It sounds like a horrendously stressful job, and to be honest I don't think I would be confident enough to be customer-facing.

It's an easy-read, and even though it can be a bit repetitive it is never boring. Loved it.

5/5

Sounds interesting bobblybear and it also explains a lot :)