The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Truth Dare Kill - Gordon Ferris

April

IT - Stephen King

Affluenza - Clive Hamilton

A is for Alibi - Sue Grafton

May

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson

The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver (Unfinished)

The Checkout Girl - Tazeen Ahmad

The General's Daughter - Nelson DeMille

June

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling

The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo

The Business of Dying - Simon Kernick

Mindhunter - John Douglas

July

The Hobbit - JR Tolkien

Watchers - Dean Koontz

The Brotherhood of the Rose - David Morrell

The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins

Holes - Louis Sachar

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafron

Shadow - Michael Morpurgo

August

Before I Go To Sleep - SJ Watson

A Kiss Before Dying - Ira Levin

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Remarkable Creatures - Tracy Chevalier

The Fellowship of the Ring - JRR Tolkien

September

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger - Stephen King

After You'd Gone - Maggie O'Farrell

Swan Song - Robert McCammon

October

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

Red Leaves - Thomas H Cook

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Eleven - Mark Watson

Into The Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling

November

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

11/22/63 - Stephen King

December

The Divide - Nicholas Evans

A Visit From the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan

A Pale View of Hills - Kazuo Ishiguro

Florence and Giles - John Harding

Last Light - Alex Scarrow

Salem's Lot - Stephen King

Edited by bobblybear

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Home - Bill Bryson

First one of the year, though technically I read more of it in 2010, than in 2011. I've been reading this one since July 2010, although I don't know why it has taken me so long to read it as it is one of the more compelling non-fiction books I've read in a while. If you have a curious mind and have an interest in useless bits of information, then this will probably be right up your alley. It covers vast amounts of information about the history of houses in England (more specifcally based on Bryson's old Church of England rectory), room by room, but goes off on so many wonderfully interesting tangents that it is really about anything to do with the way of life over the past couple of centuries. I was so overloaded with information - nearly every page holds some bit of fascinating trivia - that I wish I could remember a lot more than I actually do. :thud:

I love Bill Bryson's books; there is always a bit of humour in there that give me a good chuckle every now and then. It makes me want to re-read A Short History of Nearly Everything, another one that I loved.

5/5

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - JK Rowling

I recall trying to read this book several years ago, when Harry Potter hype was in full swing, and I just couldn't get into it. This time around though, I really enjoyed it. I'm definitely going to read the others in the series, but I will try to space them out so I don't get sick of them. :lurker:

4/5

Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn

A real surprise treat of a book is this one. I've never quite read anything as original and as linguistically clever.

Briefly, the story tells of a little island (I think just off the coast of America), whose only claim to fame is that the creator (a chap called Nollop) of the sentence: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, lived there. They had built a statue with that sentence, in honour of him. Then one day, one of the letters falls from the statue. The Council members have a meeting, and decide it is Nollop contacting them from the grave urging them to stop using this letter immediately. So they pass a law banning use of this letter, but over time the other letters begin to drop, and their use is subsequently banned from the island. :giggle: The book is told in a series of letters, so over the course of the novel, the letters become more and more..."interesting"...as these people attempt to communicate with fewer and fewer letters. :giggle:

It's only a short novel - probably 200 pages, but it packs a lot into those pages.

5/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Stand - Stephen King

This is one of my favourite books of all time, and probably the one I have read and re-read most. You'd think after about 10 re-reads, there would be little left to keep me hooked, but I still loved it. It was good revisiting the old characters - Stu Redman, Larry Underwood, and the others - and the story which just never gets old. It's one of those books that I think my life would be a bit emptier if I'd never discovered it. M-O-O-N, that spells 'Great!', Laws yes!!

5/5

Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-City Ambulance - Tom Reynolds

I got this book free on my Kindle, otherwise I probably would not have bought it, being of the squeamish (yet still oddly curious :giggle: ) type. As the title says, it is written by a London paramedic and is actually edited blog entries. Not bad, and certainly a bit of an eye-opener, but I would have preferred a bit more detail.

3/5

At Home - Bill Bryson

First one of the year, though technically I read more of it in 2010, than in 2011. I've been reading this one since July 2010, although I don't know why it has taken me so long to read it as it is one of the more compelling non-fiction books I've read in a while. If you have a curious mind and have an interest in useless bits of information, then this will probably be right up your alley. It covers vast amounts of information about the history of houses in England (more specifcally based on Bryson's old Church of England rectory), room by room, but goes off on so many wonderfully interesting tangents that it is really about anything to do with the way of life over the past couple of centuries. I was so overloaded with information - nearly every page holds some bit of fascinating trivia - that I wish I could remember a lot more than I actually do. :thud:

I love Bill Bryson's books; there is always a bit of humour in there that give me a good chuckle every now and then. It makes me want to re-read A Short History of Nearly Everything, another one that I loved.

5/5

Great review bobbly :) .. I loved 'At Home' too but I must admit that 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' was just too clever for me. I picked up bits and pieces but most of it went right over my head (you've only got to say the words particle physics to me and I'm lost.) I love Bill's writing though and his sense of humour.

I'm glad you enjoyed Ella Minnow Pea as much as I did, Bobblybear. It is indeed a very clever book!

I'm waiting for At Home to come out in paperback. Sounds like another great read from the great Bill Bryson. :)

I loved Ella Minnow Pea - so original, I've never read anything like it. Mark Dunn has written another book called IBID, which is told via footnotes. Unfortunately it hasn't received very good reviews, so I think I'll hold off on that one.

At Home is brilliant, like pretty much anything Bill Bryson writes. If it had been written by anyone else, I probably wouldn't have picked it up, but because I love his writing style, I knew I'd enjoy it.

Mark Dunn has written another book called IBID, which is told via footnotes. Unfortunately it hasn't received very good reviews, so I think I'll hold off on that one.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I looked it up and read the bad reviews, but I don't think I'll let that put me off. It seems that everyone complains about the footnotes but I don't understand why because they all seem to know that's what it was composed of! Anyway, I can see how the idea could fail, but I'm going to find out for myself. Thanks again! :)

The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps - Michel Faber

This is more like a short story, rather than a full length novel you can really sink your teeth into. It is set in York, and follows a studying archaeologist on a dig, for a few weeks. I thought it was a bit of an odd book, and don't really know how to describe it. It's part budding-romance, part psychological "something", and part drama. It was just odd, but then again, I've never been a huge fan of short stories. I prefer something quite drawn out and quite deep. This seemed to have a lot to it, but at the same time it was quite shallow. I loved The Crimson Petal and the White, so was kind of hoping for something similar, but I guess that was unfair on my part, given the difference in book lengths.

3/5

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling

I'm quite getting into these Harry Potter books, though I do need a break in between them to go and read something else. I love how imaginitive these books are, and I know I would have absolutely devoured them if they'd been around when I was a child. I've only seen bits of the movies, and have not really heard about where the stories go or end up, so I'm really looking forward to see what happens at their conclusion.

4/5

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling

I'm quite getting into these Harry Potter books, though I do need a break in between them to go and read something else. I love how imaginitive these books are, and I know I would have absolutely devoured them if they'd been around when I was a child. I've only seen bits of the movies, and have not really heard about where the stories go or end up, so I'm really looking forward to see what happens at their conclusion.

4/5

I must say I am a bit jealous that you have all the wonderful Harry Potter books left. They were such an important part of my teenage years and I don't regret reading them for anything. But a tiny part of me wishes that I had something so wonderful left to read. I do hope you enjoy them and wish you happy reading!

I must say I am a bit jealous that you have all the wonderful Harry Potter books left. They were such an important part of my teenage years and I don't regret reading them for anything. But a tiny part of me wishes that I had something so wonderful left to read. I do hope you enjoy them and wish you happy reading!

Thanks, I'mRose. :) I feel that way about some of my favourites, and wish I could capture that feeling of reading them for the first time again. Such a good feeling when you finish a really great book.

Wow at all the books you have read allready.

I'm bound to slow down at some point. :lol: As boring as it sounds, I'm trying to make sure I stick to a routine during the week, where I'm in bed by 9 - 9.30pm, so I have at least half an hour to an hour to do nothing but read.

Winnie-The-Pooh - A.A.Milne

I'd never actually read any of the Pooh stories, or heard all that much about Pooh before I downloaded the book from Amazon. For whatever reasons, it didn't quite grab me the way I thought it would, though I did enjoy the later chapters/stories than the earlier ones. I think it's because I couldn't quite figure them out, and they almost read like a fable, so rather than just enjoying the stories, I was over-thinking it (over-thinking Pooh! :giggle: )

3/5

I'm sorry it didn't grab you.

Winnie The Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner were two of my absolute favourite books when I was a child, but perhaps if I'd first read them as an adult they wouldn't appeal so much. I don't know - I just find them utterly charming. :)

Yes, perhaps you need to be a child to not over-think them. Though I listened to them recently being read by Alan Bennett and enjoyed them a lot ... he really brings them to life.

I am extremely jealous that you still have Harry Potter's left to read Bobbly .. and next is arguably the best of all 'Prisoner of Azkaban' .. perfect story and hadn't quite reached the housebrick size of those that were yet to come so more comfortable to hold too :)

Winnie-The-Pooh - A.A.Milne

I'd never actually read any of the Pooh stories, or heard all that much about Pooh before I downloaded the book from Amazon. For whatever reasons, it didn't quite grab me the way I thought it would, though I did enjoy the later chapters/stories than the earlier ones. I think it's because I couldn't quite figure them out, and they almost read like a fable, so rather than just enjoying the stories, I was over-thinking it (over-thinking Pooh! :giggle: )

3/5

I think you need to have a dad who does a great eyeore impression which he still does on occasion and I am 38 :giggle2: