Bobblybear's Books Read - 2011

bobblybear

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The General's Daughter - Nelson DeMille

This is the first one of DeMille's books I have read, though I have heard of him for quite a while now. I also recall the movie (with John Travolta) being made years ago, and as I couldn't recall much of the plot I figured I may as well read the book.

At the start of the book, we find out that the body of the general's daughter has been found, naked and bound, on one of the army base's rifle ranges. What follows from there is the investigation into who murdered her and why.

I thought it would be a run-of-the-mill criminal investigation type story set in an army environment, but it was actually quite different from what I expected. Most of these mystery/detective novels I have read have been quite fast-paced and short. This was actually a fairly long book, and it managed to keep me entertained all the way through. The lead character, Paul Brenner, is a very sarcastic, quick-witted protagonist, and his narrative made for captivating reading. Even though there weren't any plot twists and red herrings - as there usually are in this type of book - the story was interesting enough to keep me hooked to the end. I'll definitely be reading more of his novels, and hopefully they will be as good as this one.

5/5

I don't know what to read next. :rolleyes: I'm still going strong with Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show On Earth, but I kind of need some easy fiction to balance out the hard core non-fiction.

I'm thinking either The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo (which I bought yesterday) or the next Harry Potter (I think it's the Prisoner of Azkaban). Decisions, decisions. :shrug:

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling

This is the fourth book in the Harry Potter series, and they just seem to be getting better as the series goes on. :boogie:

Don't really want to give anything away, even though most people have probably read the series. Sirius Black, one of Voldemort's supporter has escaped from Azkaban and is intent on finding and killing Harry. Mayhem and adventure follow. :giggle:

I think Harry is about 13 in this story, and I'm quite intrigued by if and how the story changes as he gets older. I'm assuming he's about 18 when the series ends, or maybe I'm getting confused because Daniel Radcliffe was around 18 when he made the final movie. Either way, I do look forward to reading the next books in the series.

Sorry, bit of a rubbish review, but I never know what to write, beyond whether or not I enjoyed a book. :blush:

5/5

It's not a rubbish review at all Bobbly, you've got your enthusiasm for the book over perfectly :) it's my favourite Harry Potter but that doesn't mean to say that you haven't got lots of good stuff to come because you have, lucky you :D

Thanks Poppyshake. :friends0:

I am so glad that I have avoided knowing anything about the series, so it really will be all a surprise to me. When the books first came out, and there was so much talk about it, I never paid any attention as it didn't interest me. So I guess, in a way it has paid off as I can't wait to find out what happens next. :boogie:

• 2 weeks later...

The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo

This is the third in the Harry Hole series, but I believe it's the first of the series to be translated into English. They can be read as standalone books, and it wasn't until I finished it that I found out it wasn't the first of the series.

Harry Hole is the central character in this series (duh!). The book opens with the US Presidential visit to Norway. Harry Hole is one of the detectives assigned to security detail, and an error is made which ends with him shooting a Secret Service Agent. He is subsequently promoted to an investigator within POT (can't remember what it stands for :blush: ). In his new role, he becomes aware of a rare Marklin rifle being purchased within Norway, and begins his search to find who ordered it and for what purpose.

I struggled a bit with this book. Maybe the tagline on the cover 'The new Steig Larsson' should have warned me, as I wasn't overly impressed with him either. :rolleyes: The book jumps around a lot, between the present (1999/2000) and 1944, for the first third of the book and this really put me off as it was a while before I could see the connection. I ended up reading the 'present' parts quite quickly and really struggled through the '1944' sections, as it didn't particularly interest me. :blush: I was probably looking for an easier fast-paced read, where I could switch my brain off for a while, but you can't do that with this book. Also, I struggled with remembering the names of the characters, but I think that is probably down to the fact that half the time I was reading, my mind was elsewhere. :doh:

I got the feeling that this is a good book, but unfortunately it wasn't my type of book.

3/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Business of Dying - Simon Kernick

Dennis Milne is a police detective, who also carries out hits on bad guys for some extra cash. However, on his latest sideline assignment, the bad guys turn out to possibly not be so bad, and to add to his troubles, he is also witnessed carrying out the murders.

I quite like this - it's the kind of fast-paced thriller that you can really immerse yourself in without too much difficulty or strain. I know Kernick has written quite a few books recently, and is becoming a bit popular, but I think this is the only one I've read. I'll probably read more of his books; they are a good way to pass the time.

3/5

The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo

This is the third in the Harry Hole series, but I believe it's the first of the series to be translated into English. They can be read as standalone books, and it wasn't until I finished it that I found out it wasn't the first of the series.

Harry Hole is the central character in this series (duh!). The book opens with the US Presidential visit to Norway. Harry Hole is one of the detectives assigned to security detail, and an error is made which ends with him shooting a Secret Service Agent. He is subsequently promoted to an investigator within POT (can't remember what it stands for :blush: ). In his new role, he becomes aware of a rare Marklin rifle being purchased within Norway, and begins his search to find who ordered it and for what purpose.

I struggled a bit with this book. Maybe the tagline on the cover 'The new Steig Larsson' should have warned me, as I wasn't overly impressed with him either. :rolleyes: The book jumps around a lot, between the present (1999/2000) and 1944, for the first third of the book and this really put me off as it was a while before I could see the connection. I ended up reading the 'present' parts quite quickly and really struggled through the '1944' sections, as it didn't particularly interest me. :blush: I was probably looking for an easier fast-paced read, where I could switch my brain off for a while, but you can't do that with this book. Also, I struggled with remembering the names of the characters, but I think that is probably down to the fact that half the time I was reading, my mind was elsewhere. :doh:

I got the feeling that this is a good book, but unfortunately it wasn't my type of book.

3/5

Hi Bobblybear, I love anything about Norway and as this has a bit of wartime mystery thrown in I will have to read this one thanks! I just read "The Greatest Show on Earth" so I will be interested to read your review of that.

Edited by vodkafan

Mindhunter - John Douglas

John Douglas was one of first members of the FBI to come up with the concept of criminal profiling. This is a re-read for me. Years ago, I was very fascinated with true crime books, and this was one of the first of the genre I read. Then it got a bit too gory, and I didn't read anything like it for years. I don't know why I picked it up again, but it was just as interesting this time around as when I first read it.

It's an utterly fascinating subject, and reading how they profile the suspects, down to the colour of car they are likely to drive is just amazing. Sometimes I can't quite believe that there are people as 'evil' as serial killers, and Mindhunter is a fascinating insight into what possibly makes them tick.

5/5

Hi Bobblybear. Mindhunter sounds really interesting. I'm assuming it is non fiction?? I normally don't enjoy fictional crime stories as they seem to drag on a bit when I could just watch an episode of CSI in a hour! but the real life stuff is fascinating.

The Hobbit - J R R Tolkien

This book doesn't really need any introducing; I'm pretty sure everyone knows the storyline. :smile2: It's a re-read for me, but because I have such a rubbish memory, it is like reading it for the first time. I'm planning on finally reading Lord of the Rings this year, so I read this as a gentle introduction of sorts.

I enjoyed it, but I'm not mad about fantasy books like some, which is why I'm a bit worried about Lord of the Rings. It's just that everyone raves about it as one of the books you must read. Loved the films though.

4/5

The Hobbit - J R R Tolkien

This book doesn't really need any introducing; I'm pretty sure everyone knows the storyline. :smile2: It's a re-read for me, but because I have such a rubbish memory, it is like reading it for the first time. I'm planning on finally reading Lord of the Rings this year, so I read this as a gentle introduction of sorts.

I enjoyed it, but I'm not mad about fantasy books like some, which is why I'm a bit worried about Lord of the Rings. It's just that everyone raves about it as one of the books you must read. Loved the films though.

4/5

I loved The Hobbit! Don't be worried about reading The lord of the Rings, I was a bit worried before reading as some people had said it was hard to read and quite heavy going, but I didnt think so!

Watchers - Dean Koontz

This is another re-read for me (why on earth do I keep re-reading books this year, when I have more than ever to read? :doh: ), but I loved it all the same.

Briefly, in a government run laboratory, scientists are using genetic engineering to create animals/creatures that will benefit the country during war. Two of their creations escape - a lovable and intelligent golden retriever, and a 'creature' set on hunting down the retriever. Shortly after their escape, a man - Travis Cornell - comes across the retriever while out hiking, and adopts him. Slowly he begins to realise the dog's intelligence, and that the other creature - The Outsider - will not stop until it finds him.

This is such a heart-warming sweet story, full of lovable characters (especially the dog, of course), and enough action/suspense to keep the story moving along. It's got a few corny bits, but that can be forgiven because of the strength of the characters.

5/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Brotherhood of the Rose - David Morrell

Saul and Chris are two orphans, raised as brothers and trained to be world-class assassins. When their adoptive father tries to have them killed, they begin their search to find why and to seek revenge.

This was a fast-paced thriller, which started off brilliantly and had me hooked. However towards the end of the book, it just seemed to drag on a bit too long, and I lost interest. I think I prefer when thriller/spy/assassin books are fast-paced and not too long, but that is just my personal preference. It wouldn't stop me picking up any of his other books, as they are a good way to pass time. If you are a fan of Ludlum, then you'll probably like this one.

3/5

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution - Richard Dawkins

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who haven't heard of Richard Dawkins. He's one of the most outspoken proponents of evolution, and has written quite a few books on the subject. He's probably best known for The God Delusion (which I gave up on, but do intend to pick up again at some point!). I'm a firm believer in evolution and anything science based, so I can't really judge whether this book would convince me, if I wasn't a believer. Actually, if I wasn't a believer, it would probably get under my skin a bit, as he doesn't pull punches and can be a tad harsh!

I really enjoyed this book, although a few areas went a bit over my head (particularly the chapter on developmental biology). For the most part, it was written and taught in a way that most people would understand the majority of it. It had lots of fascinating tidbits, such as the identical structure of the skeleton of every single mammal, the movement of various sea-creatures and how this evidences whether they remained in the sea since the beginning, or returned to the sea after a brief period of being land-based. I also learned that broccoli was part of the cabbage family; something I never knew!. :blush: I learned hippos are more closely related to whales, than they are to pigs or other ruminants that look more like them. I only wish I took notes when I was reading this, as there was just information overload.

Anyone who enjoys science books (my favorite genre of non-fiction), or is curious as to how we got here, would benefit from picking this one up.

5/5

Holes - Louis Sachar

I hesitated before buying this, because it sounded very dull, but for £0.99 and lots of rave reviews I didn't really have any reason not to.

Simply put, the main character - Stanley - is sent to Camp Green Lake, after being accused of stealing some shoes. At Camp Green Lake, Stanley and the other young boys, are made to dig holes day in day out, as the belief is that "if you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole every day in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy."

It doesn't sound like the most interesting of books, but I have to say that it was great! I had no idea where it was going, as I hadn't read much of the synopsis beforehand - aside from the hole-digging bit.

It's quite a short book - I read it over 2 or 3 days - but it has so much story to it. Actually it has about 3 stories in it, all from different years, but which are all relevant and linked to each other. It's a fun adventure, and if you want something light but with quite a bit of depth, then this is a good read.

5/5

Holes - Louis Sachar

I hesitated before buying this, because it sounded very dull, but for £0.99 and lots of rave reviews I didn't really have any reason not to.

Simply put, the main character - Stanley - is sent to Camp Green Lake, after being accused of stealing some shoes. At Camp Green Lake, Stanley and the other young boys, are made to dig holes day in day out, as the belief is that "if you take a bad boy and make him dig a hole every day in the hot sun, it will turn him into a good boy."

It doesn't sound like the most interesting of books, but I have to say that it was great! I had no idea where it was going, as I hadn't read much of the synopsis beforehand - aside from the hole-digging bit.

It's quite a short book - I read it over 2 or 3 days - but it has so much story to it. Actually it has about 3 stories in it, all from different years, but which are all relevant and linked to each other. It's a fun adventure, and if you want something light but with quite a bit of depth, then this is a good read.

5/5

I haven't read the book, but the movie was great.....which is rare with a book/movie tie-in!!