Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

Night

by Elie Wiesel

From Amazon: In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

Thoughts: I picked up this book because it was on the Rory list. I enjoy reading Jewish literature but for some reason I had somewhere gotten the impression that Wiesel was hard and maybe even a bit boring to read, so I wasn't exactly looking forward to it. As I started the novel I quickly learned otherwise. I don't really know what to say about Wiesel's personal style, because I was too engrossed in the actual story, which I found utterly harrowing. No matter how many novels I read about Jews and the holocaust, it never becomes any easier or less surprising to hear of all the different kinds of ways the Jews were treated. There are so many countless ways the humans can be cruels towards each other and it's really disturbing, to say the least. I'll not say more about the novel, except that it was a great one and it deserves and needs to be read again and again, with every passing generation.

Sidenote: I wikied Elie Wiesel and found out that he was attacked in 2007 by one Eric Hunt, a Holocaust denier, who planned on kidnapping Wiesel and forcing the 'truth' (that Holocaust is a big fat lie) out of him. Luckily Wiesel got out of it uninjured and Hunt was arrested and convicted (for not too long, in my opinion). I then found Eric Hunt's blog and I can't even begin to describe what kind of stuff he's written there. I was outraged when I was reading it and I had to stop for my own sake. It's unimaginable how these kinds of people come to live.

As for the novel, I give it a well-deserved 5/5.

Great review Frankie, I found 'Night' so sad and maybe it was just me, there just seem to be such a strong sense of desperation throughout the book, that if he did not tell his story, it would consume him all the more, he went through so much.

Edited by Weave

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks poppyshake and Weave :friends3:

Great reviews Frankie :) I'm definitely interested to read Elie Wiesel's 'Night' .. I don't think you can ever read too much about the Holocaust .. we should learn from it but never ever forget it. I've read quite a lot of stuff about it too but it never ceases to shock and sadden me that human beings can behave like that to one another. As for Holocaust deniers .. words fail me. I suppose all those pictures of the death camps, and the first hand accounts of the people that survived them, and the written testimony's from those that helped liberate them was all just fabricated ... yes, of course :angry: .. and it's just typical that in order to refute it, the deniers would resort to intimidation and violence. I wouldn't be able to go on his website .. I'd get too angry and disillusioned.

You should definitely read Night, I fully recommend it. It's the first novel in the trilogy, and it's based on Wiesel's own experiences at the concentration camps. I don't know much about the two other novels in the trilogy but I know they're called Dawn and Day.

I'm sickened by the Holocaust deniers as well. How on earth do they get into that kind of a mindset on their own? I mean, if one was anti-semitic during the war and then had children and fed their own ideology to them and then their children brainwashed their own children with the crap and so on and so on, I can see how that would logically lead to neo-Nazis, but I cannot fathom how one could become a Holocaust denier on their own. There is a lot of recorded facts, statistics, pictures, everything, on the subject. People have number series tattood in their arms!

When I was reading Hunt's account of the attack, he said that Elie Wiesel is usually a very soft spoken person and sometimes he's appearances on TV have subtitles because he's hard to hear. Hunt then proceeded to tell that when Wiesel was crying for help, he was actually shedding his 'mask' that he keeps on his face for appearances and his loud voice was the proof for his real self, a loudmouth lunatic. Like, what the hell??? These Nazi idiots will explain everything to their own advantage and agenda. I don't condole violence but I would love to whack some sense into Hunt's head.

Poppyshake, if it makes you feel any better, when I was going to his website, there was a notice saying that a lot of people had complained about the website because of it's contents (not that they could do anything about it though), and when I was reading some of the comments to Hunt's writings, there were loads of people who wrote him that he's sick and they do not understand him at all. I was dreading the comments would be by those people who are with Hunt, but it was quite the contrary. I was happy about that.

Great review Frankie, I found 'Night' so sad and maybe it was just me, there just seem to be such a strong sense of desperation throughout the book, that if he did not tell his story, it would consume him all the more, he went through so much.

In addition to that, he's written so many fictional and non-fictional books about the Holocaust and about being a Jew, that one cannot help but realise that it's an intricate part of him and it's almost as if he's driven to write about it, to make his stories and his fellow sufferers' stories heard.

Great reviews Frankie, I've not read Heart of Darkness but love the movie Apocalypse Now & I have an Ishiguro book on my TBR pile (When We Were Orphans,I think that's the title ???) To be honest I don''t think I could read Night or The Kiss, that kind of stuff gets under my skin & messes with my head, mans inhumanity to man & all that, so I tend to avoid it.

Poppyshake, if it makes you feel any better, when I was going to his website, there was a notice saying that a lot of people had complained about the website because of it's contents (not that they could do anything about it though), and when I was reading some of the comments to Hunt's writings, there were loads of people who wrote him that he's sick and they do not understand him at all. I was dreading the comments would be by those people who are with Hunt, but it was quite the contrary. I was happy about that.

well at least that's good to know, well done them. I do believe in free speech but I wish the powers that be would do something about websites that promote hatred and violence, I guess it's just not possible to police it. But I have to believe that most people are essentially good ... it's too dispiriting otherwise (I mean I'm not Pollyanna or anything .. there's probably not a day that goes by without me wanting to throttle someone .. someone on TV usually.) I'm definitely going to read Elie's book because though, like I said, I have read a lot of Holocaust books already I don't think I've read any firsthand accounts. Thanks for highlighting it Frankie :) I know it'll be an uncomfortable read but it'll be food for thought too.

In addition to that, he's written so many fictional and non-fictional books about the Holocaust and about being a Jew, that one cannot help but realise that it's an intricate part of him and it's almost as if he's driven to write about it, to make his stories and his fellow sufferers' stories heard.

Definitely Frankie, well said :)

Great reviews, Frankie! I can't wait to read Night now (if that's the correct phrase to use for a book that will be difficult to read because of the content).

You could say, you are can't wait to appreciate the writing of the book ;)

That's much better. Thanks Weave. :friends3:

You are very welcome Kylie, 'Night' is an amazing piece of writing. :friends3:

Edited by Weave

Heart of Darkness

by Joseph Conrad

Blurb: "'The horror! The horror!' Set in an atmosphere of mystery and menace, 'Heart of Darkness' tells the story of Marlow's journey up the Congo River to meet the remarkable Mr Kurtz. It reveals Conrad at the height of his powers as a writer of great vividness, intensity, and sophistication....' 'The four tales [one being Heart of Darkness] variously appraise the glamour, folly, and rapacity of imperial adventure. All are concerned with illusions and all, in their diverse ways, display the brilliance of Joseph Conrad, creator of exotic vistas, adventurous narratives, and acutely ironic insights into human nature and the bases of civilization."

Thoughts: This was a mandatory read for English Literature during my first years at the uni, and I admit, I never read it back then. I tried once or twice, with no luck. I found the first few pages incredibly tedious! Years have now passed, and all this while I've thought of reading the book one day, having bought it once and knowing fully well that it's on the Rory List and the 1001 Books list. I've started reading it numerous times but have exhausted after only a few pages. When I finally stumbled upon a Finnish copy of the novel, I decided the time had come, borrowed it and forced myself to read it. It's quite a short read, so the task didn't seem too daunting, although knowing that I've been trying to read the book for so many years, having never succeeded, definitely added some pressure.

I'm not into novels about sea or ships for some reason. And I'm definitely not into imperialism. Aren't I in for a treat with this one... :rolleyes: Let's just say I did manage to finish it. All the talk about seamanship, the travel, the scenery bored me. I kept wishing Marlow would get on with his story and find Kurtz, the character people go on and on about. The man is legendary, a myth-like figure. I thought to myself, 'C'mon, find him, meet him, and get over it'. And that's pretty much all I have to say about the book. It got a little more interesting towards the end, where I got to either meet Kurtz or not (no spoilers here!), so it wasn't a total waste. Just not my type of book, at all. Why it made it's way to the English Lit class, I have no idea. Laa di daa.

According to goodreads.com I seem to have given it 3/5 which seems incredibly weird for me because I gave Everything Is Illuminated the same rating and I much preferred reading EII. I guess I liked HoD more than I can now remember. What a weird book and what weird stuff going on. The Horror! The Horror!!

No redeeming qualities at all? :(

Thanks Janet :) May I ask which are the books you wouldn't be reading? Or are you thinking more in the lines of a particular genre that doesn't appeal to you? I know it's not very appealing to just start reading a book that's on a list, especially when one has so many books they've chosen themselves to read and cannot wait to get into. However, now that I've been doing the Rory List for so long, it's gotten easier for me and now I find myself reading books I wouldn't think to pick myself but which I've found were definitely worth the read.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's the whole sci-fi genre that doesn't appeal to me. I've read three from that section, and enjoyed them all, actually, but it's just not a subject that appeals to me.

Before I joined BCF, I only really read 'women's fiction' but my tastes have changed enormously and I've gone right off that now - so I know there are probably some there that I'd enjoy, but I just tend to shy away from the sci-fi shelves. :)

Great reviews Frankie, I've not read Heart of Darkness but love the movie Apocalypse Now & I have an Ishiguro book on my TBR pile (When We Were Orphans,I think that's the title ???) To be honest I don''t think I could read Night or The Kiss, that kind of stuff gets under my skin & messes with my head, mans inhumanity to man & all that, so I tend to avoid it.

Heart of Darkness was a title we studied at an English lit course and the movie Apocalypse Now was mentioned quite a few times, I think I should watch it sometime if I get the chance, especially since I've heard so many great things about it. Ishiguro is definitely an author I want to read more by, so I'm very much looking forward to your review on WWWO whenever you get to reading it :)

I can definitely see why one would like to steer clear from titles like Night and The Kiss, they're really aggrevating to read and they can only end up making one sad. Sometimes I wonder myself why I read those kinds of books. At least they are a good test to see if one still has their ability for empathy left. And I confess, I am interested in all things psychological, I read true crime as well :blush:

well at least that's good to know, well done them. I do believe in free speech but I wish the powers that be would do something about websites that promote hatred and violence, I guess it's just not possible to police it. But I have to believe that most people are essentially good ... it's too dispiriting otherwise (I mean I'm not Pollyanna or anything .. there's probably not a day that goes by without me wanting to throttle someone .. someone on TV usually.) I'm definitely going to read Elie's book because though, like I said, I have read a lot of Holocaust books already I don't think I've read any firsthand accounts. Thanks for highlighting it Frankie I know it'll be an uncomfortable read but it'll be food for thought too.

I also believe in the freedom of speech, but the line between free speach and pure incitement to for example ethnic hatred is hard to draw. I would think that at least putting up the addresses and phone numbers of people you've personally attacked against and whom you publically hate on a website should be prohibited. I feel that sometimes the society is more concerned about the rights of the perpetrators than their victims, which to me is total BS.

You're definitely right about us needing to keep believing that most people are good and would not tolerate discrimination. The least we can do is pass on those values to our offspring when the time comes.

Definitely Frankie, well said

Thanks Weave :friends0:

Great reviews, Frankie! I can't wait to read Night now (if that's the correct phrase to use for a book that will be difficult to read because of the content).

Yeah I noticed in the Book Activity thread that Paula sent you the books, that's so nice of her! I can't wait to see what you think of them. Day sounds particularly good but unfortunately our library doesn't have any copies of it. When I go to see BF next time I'll take a look in his library.

No redeeming qualities at all?

There must've been something because I gave it a 3/5. I did start enjoying the novel towards the end, and I enjoyed reading and thinking about what living in the 'jungle', with only one goal in your mind can do to you and how it can mess with your head.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's the whole sci-fi genre that doesn't appeal to me. I've read three from that section, and enjoyed them all, actually, but it's just not a subject that appeals to me.

Before I joined BCF, I only really read 'women's fiction' but my tastes have changed enormously and I've gone right off that now - so I know there are probably some there that I'd enjoy, but I just tend to shy away from the sci-fi shelves. :)

I know exactly where you're coming from, I feel the same way about science fiction. It's not something that I would pick to read myself, but the few novels I have read I've actually enjoyed. Knowing that, I still don't voluntarily go for other sci-fi books. However, nowadays I'm trying to 'broaden my horizons' as much as I can, and give pretty much everything a go. Having a list like that is really useful, because I wouldn't know what to pick myself. And because I'd be reading the books to cross them off from a list, it would feel more like I needed to read them and therefore had 'no choice'. Of course that's not for everyone, I certainly know that there are far too many great novels out there to be read, and time is wasting as we speak... :rolleyes:

Hehe, having been here for a few years now, and having taken a look at what all the different people here read, and having had the chance to glance at your own reads, I wouldn't have figured that you used to only read 'women's fiction' because your choices of books vary so much. That only goes to show what this forum can do to a person :smile2:

Well what do you know Hubby sorted out my bookshelves this morning & it seems I have Heart of Darkness, I don't even remember buying it :o

Maybe you didn't buy it, maybe it was your evil hubby, trying to force you to read it! :giggle2: Nah, don't listen to me, give the book a go and see how you like it.

Cool! I've been meaning to reply to you about that among other things but you beat me to it here :blush: I'd like to finish Mr Rosenblum's List first, I'm on page 96. Would you like to join me in reading that, before moving on to Madame Bovary? Or shall you get a headstart and let me join you when I'm done?

Cool! I've been meaning to reply to you about that among other things but you beat me to it here :blush: I'd like to finish Mr Rosenblum's List first, I'm on page 96. Would you like to join me in reading that, before moving on to Madame Bovary? Or shall you get a headstart and let me join you when I'm done?

Ooh, I completely forgot you were reading that! OK, I'll start on Mr Rosenblum's List and try to catch up to you. :)

Excellent! For me, it's a slow read for some reason, so you should be able to catch up with me soon enough, and I've only read like 1/3 of it :) Yay, I'm happy to have you join me in reading it :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I know exactly where you're coming from, I feel the same way about science fiction. It's not something that I would pick to read myself, but the few novels I have read I've actually enjoyed. Knowing that, I still don't voluntarily go for other sci-fi books. However, nowadays I'm trying to 'broaden my horizons' as much as I can, and give pretty much everything a go. Having a list like that is really useful, because I wouldn't know what to pick myself. And because I'd be reading the books to cross them off from a list, it would feel more like I needed to read them and therefore had 'no choice'. Of course that's not for everyone, I certainly know that there are far too many great novels out there to be read, and time is wasting as we speak... :rolleyes:

Hehe, having been here for a few years now, and having taken a look at what all the different people here read, and having had the chance to glance at your own reads, I wouldn't have figured that you used to only read 'women's fiction' because your choices of books vary so much. That only goes to show what this forum can do to a person :smile2:

Like you, I do like the lists, and I like the recommendation side of things, but part of me knows I'll never complete them because there are books on there I know I'll never read. On the BBC's "100 Books..." list, for example, is The Lord of the Rings trilogy - they hold no interest for me at all, so I'm defintely not going to get to 100% on that list! :lol:

That said, there are things on the list that I never expected to read that I have and it's turned out I loved them.

Yes, the 'women's fiction' thing seems a lifetime ago. At the time, I enjoyed them, and they fitted in with my life (the children were young, I didn't have the time for more in-depth books), but having tried more recently to read a 'chick-lit' book, I found it lacked substance and was no longer for me. I do think they have their place though - each to their own - I'd never criticise anyone for reading and enjoying them. :)

I hope you guys enjoy Mr Rosenblum's List. It's a 'gentle' read, but I enjoyed it very much, but the reviews I read afterwards were mixed.

I was so sick of reading Rosenblum at one point that I decided to just keep reading til I finished it.

Oh dear! It did get mixed reactions on Amazon. I really enjoyed it (even if it was a bit twee) so I'm sorry you didn't - but like would be boring if we all liked the same stuff! :giggle2:

ETA: I'm not sure how I managed to quote you in here when this was posted in the 'Book Activity...' thread! :huh: Too many windows open I guess! Ah well, here's as good as anywhere! :giggle:

Edited by Janet

Hey frankie!

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello You seem to be having a good reading year so far, hope it keeps up for you!

It seems to be going very well for the both of us, indeed! :friends3: I should pop in at your reading blog now, knowing that you've now finished Therapy. I wanna see what you thought of it! :smile2:

Like you, I do like the lists, and I like the recommendation side of things, but part of me knows I'll never complete them because there are books on there I know I'll never read. On the BBC's "100 Books..." list, for example, is The Lord of the Rings trilogy - they hold no interest for me at all, so I'm defintely not going to get to 100% on that list!

That said, there are things on the list that I never expected to read that I have and it's turned out I loved them.

Yes, the 'women's fiction' thing seems a lifetime ago. At the time, I enjoyed them, and they fitted in with my life (the children were young, I didn't have the time for more in-depth books), but having tried more recently to read a 'chick-lit' book, I found it lacked substance and was no longer for me. I do think they have their place though - each to their own - I'd never criticise anyone for reading and enjoying them. :)

I hope you guys enjoy Mr Rosenblum's List. It's a 'gentle' read, but I enjoyed it very much, but the reviews I read afterwards were mixed.

As you might already know, I have a few lists and challenges myself, and eventhough I'm committed to completing them, I know that I'll never be able to finish the 1001 Books -challenge, but I won't let it bother me. There are too many books on the list, and there are bound to be ones that I won't like and can't finish. The fact that I know this and give myself the permission to skip a book or two keeps me motivated and going, there'd be no joy in it otherwise. But each to their own :)

Like you, I wouldn't criticise anyone for reading chick lit either, but I do wonder about people who read chick lit only. Like I would wonder about people who would only read classics. I think all the different genres are there because people enjoy them, but I cannot imagine sticking to only one genre and being happy.

Wow! I'm envious of how many books you've gotten to already this year, I feel like I need to pick up the pace--gah! There simply aren't enough hours in the day! D:

Ah, the idea of a 48-hour long day... :rolleyes: Don't feel bad, I've stopped watching TV this year (due to an ill-behaving digibox :irked:) which has definitely left me with more hours to 'kill', thus giving me the chance to read more.

Oh dear! It did get mixed reactions on Amazon. I really enjoyed it (even if it was a bit twee) so I'm sorry you didn't - but like would be boring if we all liked the same stuff!

ETA: I'm not sure how I managed to quote you in here when this was posted in the 'Book Activity...' thread! Too many windows open I guess! Ah well, here's as good as anywhere!

Hehe, Kylie did that too, and only some weeks ago :lol: I'm a bit surprised to hear it got such mixed reviews, because all the people here who I know have read the book have enjoyed it. Then again, when I think about it, I can only think of you and poppyshake writing a review on it... So that's only two :blush: However, like I told Kylie in the Book Activity -thread, don't be fooled by that post of mine about being really bored with the novel at one point ;) The review is to appear shortly.

Edit: Janet, what does 'twee' mean? :)

Edited by frankie

Like you, I wouldn't criticise anyone for reading chick lit either, but I do wonder about people who read chick lit only. Like I would wonder about people who would only read classics. I think all the different genres are there because people enjoy them, but I cannot imagine sticking to only one genre and being happy.

Forgive me for jumping into your conversation, but I would say the same about someone that only reads one genre of book. The same can be said for those who only listen to one type of music or see one type of film. Chick lit has it's place, and for me every once in a great while I just want something light where I don't have to think so hard. Variety is the spice of life, right?! :D

By only sticking to one genre of anything is too limiting and makes you miss SO much.

Ooh, looking forward to your thoughts on 'Rosenblum' now! :)

Edit: Janet, what does 'twee' mean? :)

Sorry, Frankie - I forget that English isn't your first language, since you're so good at it (better than a lot of Brits, in fact! :lol: ). Twee means excessively sentimental. :)

As you might already know, I have a few lists and challenges myself, and eventhough I'm committed to completing them, I know that I'll never be able to finish the 1001 Books -challenge, but I won't let it bother me. There are too many books on the list, and there are bound to be ones that I won't like and can't finish. The fact that I know this and give myself the permission to skip a book or two keeps me motivated and going, there'd be no joy in it otherwise. But each to their own :)

I am marking off the 1001 Books... on a spreadsheet (and lots of other challenges besides) despite knowing I won't finish - but it's a shame, as I'd love to see them 100% complete - the fact that won't happen doesn't stop me though!

Too right!

Marcia's music analogy sums it up for me! I can't imagine listening exclusively to heavy metal (even though that's probably my favourite genre) - there are so many excellent songs out there - that's why I listen to everything from Mozart to Motorhead! :giggle2: