Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

I love seeing those photos of dogs and cats snuggled up together. So cute!

Congratulations on losing another kilo! I'm so proud of you. :friends0:

Thanks Kylie, I'm already down 5,5 kilos since the beginning of the year, and this time I really believe I'm going to make it all the way through to my target weight. You won't recognise me the next time we meet ;)

And Kylie, if you ever get a dog,

a commercial from Bratislava, just a reminder of all the work you need to do with the dog ;)

I was in the library tonight, I love the fact it stays open til 7pm 3-4 nights a week meaning those of us who work can go after work, and it was so peaceful. Generally I go to the self service book thingy (really not sure what to call it but in my library the books are deposited into machines rather than to a counter, although there are counters if you have problems) Then I go to the returned shelves, wander to the staff recommend section and the new books, peruse the crime section, wander round the retuned shelves in the middle of the library and the general A-Z shelvesbefore the audio books and finally the SciFi and Horror section before reluctantly leaving back into the chaos of the real world :D

I recommend Guinea Pigs as the perfect reading comanion, no fuss no bother the occasional nibble on the book reminding you to pick it up of the floor and genreally helpful squeaking when they here you move in the mistaken belief you are heading for the fridge and getting them some lettuce. :giggle2:

Oooh, a self service book thingy, I've never come across with one of those, sounds really fancy. You know the alarms at the doors, to alert the librarians if anyone's trying to smuggle out a book? Well the library in my hometown where I grew up, they don't even have one of those :D

I'd also like a staff recommend section, just like in the bookshops I saw in Australia. Once we had a customer recommend section for maybe a month, that was really interesting too, it's a lot of fun to see what kinds of books other people like to read.

I think I'd be to scared/nervous to have a guineapig as my reading companion, they're so small I'd probably be too afraid to move a muscle, fearing I would accidentally crush them :blush:

Frankie I'm in awe of you! You are sooo organised, and know where you want to go in the future, it's incredible. Hats off to you. WOW

Aww thanks Maureen, what a lovely comment, it brightened up my morning :smile2:

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kylie, was my doggie link too much for you? :giggle2:

I've had one of the most random bar outings ever. I started the evening with one of my oldest friends coming over and we had a few drinks. Then we went to a bar and my friend started to feel a bit funny (no surprise there) and I ended up spending some time with some other friends who happened to be at the bar. They left pretty early as well so as I was checking out the bar for some familiar faces I noticed these two guys who were friends of a friend of mine, and I'd met them before, and I knew the other one was an English major. So I joined them and started questioning them about BOOKS! I was disappointed to hear that the English major dude hadn't read any of the books that were obligatory course reading for all the UK/US literature courses!! I've read all of them except for Heart of Darkness, and I thought I was a bad student!!!! Anyways, the other guy wanted to hear which books were my top 5 novels and he promised that if I told him my list and gave some descriptions/recommendations on them, he'd read at least one of them. I decided I was way past the point of giving him my reasonings (I was a bit drunk), but when I left the bar and he happened to leave at the same time, and us living pretty near each other and him asking if we could walk homewards together, we discussed books again and I started giving him my list. I told him about A Home at the End of the World, then A Tale of Two Cities and Running with Scissors and before I managed to continue with my other recommendations he told me he would read A Home at the End of the World. How random is that :lol: Oh boy I've influenced someone, bookwise!!!

Edited by frankie

If you'd like recommendations, my favorite Finnish metal band is definitely Sentenced, you can listen to some of their songs on youtube if you like. No pressure! :)

I'm so sorry - I completely forgot to reply to this. I had a listen on You Tube - they're good, aren't they. :) I've subsequently spent all afternoon watching videos on You Tube, to the detriment of my reading! :giggle2:

Kylie, was my doggie link too much for you? :giggle2:

I've had one of the most random bar outings ever. I started the evening with one of my oldest friends coming over and we had a few drinks. Then we went to a bar and my friend started to feel a bit funny (no surprise there) and I ended up spending some time with some other friends who happened to be at the bar. They left pretty early as well so as I was checking out the bar for some familiar faces I noticed these two guys who were friends of a friend of mine, and I'd met them before, and I knew the other one was an English major. So I joined them and started questioning them about BOOKS! I was disappointed to hear that the English major dude hadn't read any of the books that were obligatory course reading for all the UK/US literature courses!! I've read all of them except for Heart of Darkness, and I thought I was a bad student!!!! Anyways, the other guy wanted to hear which books were my top 5 novels and he promised that if I told him my list and gave some descriptions/recommendations on them, he'd read at least one of them. I decided I was way past the point of giving him my reasonings (I was a bit drunk), but when I left the bar and he happened to leave at the same time, and us living pretty near each other and him asking if we could walk homewards together, we discussed books again and I started giving him my list. I told him about A Home at the End of the World, then A Tale of Two Cities and Running with Scissors and before I managed to continue with my other recommendations he told me he would read A Home at the End of the World. How random is that :lol: Oh boy I've influenced someone, bookwise!!!

Way to go Frankie :)

Anyways. I went to the library today, to sort of assist a friend of mine, she wanted to borrow this Swedish thriller and didn't know her way around the library, she hasn't been there in a couple of years. It showed, she had no idea where the thriller section was. I don't blame her nor do I want to mock her, but it just seems so incredible not to know something like that, because I practically live in the library at times. She's more into movies, the odds are that if I've read a book, she's seen the movie. For example, when I told her she could try reading the Dexter novels, she said "isn't that a TV series?".

When we went to see the "new books" bookcase I immediately saw that there was a Finnish copy of The Help, which I managed to borrow in English last week. I didn't have the time to mention it when my friend was already pointing at the book and the cover, going "haha, that must be a really 'good' book!", in a sarcastic way. Granted, the cover doesn't give the impression that the book will be the most read classic ever, but it wasn't like it had the stupidest cover ever, I actually rather liked it. I couldn't keep my mouth shut, I told her that "actually I know quite a few people who've read it and have really enjoyed it, and I have it as an English copy myself at the moment". Oh boy :rolleyes: I know, to each their own, but it kind of made my visit to the library less joyful. She wasn't interested in any of the books I showed her and which she might like, but she did decide to tag along while I was looking for something to borrow. That's my pet peeve right there: having someone who isn't interested in books tagging along when I'm looking at books. They keep talking about all things non-literary while I'm trying to keep my focus on the books.

Oh, and when I noticed a new section titled 'contemporary American literature' and went over, my friend pointed out a book in the section saying, 'that's really old, it can't be contemporary'. I checked the book (poor book, it was Rabbit Run by John Updike, a book I've been wanting to borrow for ages but I'd like an English copy) and it was published in 1992 and my friend said "yeah, that's old". I then had to tell her what the term 'contemporary' means in literary terms.

I did manage to find another book that was nominated for the Finlandia prize in 2010 so that pretty much saved the whole trip for me. I'm happy :smile2: Those books are very hard to find because they're always borrowed and 100-300 people have reserved them, but the library now has this new small section for very new and popular books that cannot be reserved and which you can borrow for one week only.

(I hope I don't sound like a snob or anything, but I just had to rant a little bit. Books are sacred to me and I don't like cynical or dismissive attitudes towards them)

Shopping in general is a pain if you go with anyone who doesn't particularly share your tastes but shopping/looking for books with someone like that is a nightmare. I admire your restraint (but like the way you didn't let your friends opinions overide yours) .. really you should have just asked her to wait a minute while you searched for the heaviest tome (don't waste time looking for the English translation :D) to whack her with. I hate people chattering away to me in the library, I can't concentrate. Alan will come with me and go off somewhere looking at computer/art/music books and then dump himself down in the seating area if I'm still busy. I couldn't cope with someone looking over my shoulder (unless it was a like minded friend or relation) I'd give it up and go back another day. Well done you for coming away with a good book despite all the distractions.

Lots of people have hobbies and interests that don't appeal to me, but I still consider their devotion to them as something to value and celebrate. My husband will occasionally gently mock my love of books and reading, but respects that I have such a 'pursuit'.

I cannot bear being ridiculed for my enjoyment of reading, and for it to be implied that I should 'get a life' makes me seethe, especially when I see what my mockers consider to be having a life!

:blush:

Same here, and I hate it when people say 'I don't have time to read' implying that only those with nothing better to do and lots of idle time would waste it on reading books :badmood:

Oh boy I've influenced someone, bookwise!!!

Yes him and all the rest of us on here :hug:

Oh dear. I just saw that you rated Madame Bovary 2/5. :( They reviewed it on the FTBC last night and all the panellists loved it.

For April, they're doing Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. I've forgotten the second book already, but I'll let you know when I remember. :blush: It's not a well-known classic, though.

There are also going to be a lot of extra episodes this year, but of the 'Jennifer Byrne presents' type.

On an unrelated note, I know how you like true crime and thought you'd like to know that there is a movie being made of the Snowtown murders. There was also an interview of Martin Bryant's (Port Arthur massacre) mother on 60 Minutes the other night. A lot of Australians were outraged that they did an interview with her. I only managed to record about half the interview (damn!) but I'll send it to you soon, along with a few other things I've been stockpiling to send you. ;)

I'm so sorry - I completely forgot to reply to this. I had a listen on You Tube - they're good, aren't they. I've subsequently spent all afternoon watching videos on You Tube, to the detriment of my reading!

I'm really glad you liked them, I don't think they're well-known outside of Finland, but they're really great. Too bad they're not together anymore, and I'm sorry to say their guitar player died in 2009, RIP :( I manged to see them play live two or three times, excellent. And the singer is good candy for the eyes :giggle:

Way to go Frankie

Yes him and all the rest of us on here

Thanks Weave and poppyshake :friends3: It's such a rare occasion to be able to talk to people who read themselves (in real life I mean) and to be able to recommend something, I really marvelled at the chance :D

Shopping in general is a pain if you go with anyone who doesn't particularly share your tastes but shopping/looking for books with someone like that is a nightmare. I admire your restraint (but like the way you didn't let your friends opinions overide yours) .. really you should have just asked her to wait a minute while you searched for the heaviest tome (don't waste time looking for the English translation ) to whack her with. I hate people chattering away to me in the library, I can't concentrate. Alan will come with me and go off somewhere looking at computer/art/music books and then dump himself down in the seating area if I'm still busy. I couldn't cope with someone looking over my shoulder (unless it was a like minded friend or relation) I'd give it up and go back another day. Well done you for coming away with a good book despite all the distractions.

Ugh, just thinking about it makes me cringe all over again. If I would've asked her to wait for me to get a heavy book to whack her with, she would've just tagged along, blabbering the whole time and she would've missed the point. I don't know how she does it, sometimes she has a good sense of humour and sometimes she's so serious and so oblivious to the most obvious jokes. Your Alan has the best approach to it, he should give people lessons on the subject!

The way she kept going "oh I didn't know this was also a book! I've seen the movie/the TV-series" really annoyed me. I mean, I don't know about the origins of all the movies and the TV series out there in the world, but the way she kept saying that about almost everything made me think she has no clue. I said to her that most often movies/TV-series are based on books, at least that's what I've come to notice myself, and she was like "well, most often they're not". I don't know who's right or wrong, but how can she claim to know that for a fact if she didn't know about all those books she saw in the library, turned into a movie? :rolleyes:

I read that book I borrowed last Tuesday, that competed for the Finlandia 2010 awards, it was a quick loan and I only had one week to read it. I was talking in IRC about going to the library yesterday and she went "again??". I should just always remember that people are different, and there's nothing wrong with that...

BTW, I had a great trip to the library yesterday, I found another book competing for the Finlandia award on the quick loan shelf, such luck! I also found a brand new looking copy of a Fannie Flagg novel and also borrowed Watchmen. I was utterly amazed when I was browsing through the graphic novel section. I guess I've never given the concept of what that really means any thought. I was baffled to see titles like Heart of Darkness, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, etc etc. They were actually novels with amazing illustrations! I guess I'd thought that they're just comics. It was a day of revelation to me. I'm intrigued!

Oh dear. I just saw that you rated Madame Bovary 2/5. They reviewed it on the FTBC last night and all the panellists loved it.

My rating system stems from the goodreads rating, so a 2/5 means it was okay. I didn't hate it at all and it was 1 000 times better than I had expected! How far are you with the novel? There was a certain repetitiveness that I didn't enjoy and I was really frustrated with a lot of the characters, otherwise I might've given it a 3/5.

Who were the panellists? And even my dear Jason liked the novel? Well I'll forgive him. I know he likes the fish book better any day :smile2:

For April, they're doing Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

I was just trawling through my 1001 list and the title of the other FTBC book for April jumped out at me. It's The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead.

There are also going to be a lot of extra episodes this year, but of the 'Jennifer Byrne presents' type.

I've never heard of Super Sad True Love Story but I'll see if I can find it at the library, thanks so much for the update!! Coincidentally, The Man Who Loved Children is on my wishlist, and I had no idea it's on the 1001 list, so excellent and convenient, thank you very much FTBC :D The reason why I've added TMWLC on my wishlist is that ethan from BCF wrote about the book on his reading blog and it sounded good to me. To be honest, I've now forgotten completely what the book is about, but I'm sure it'll be interesting. Why else would it be on my wishlist?! There's an English copy of it at the uni library, so that's great news.

Oooh extra episodes, have they revealed the upcoming themes? Very exciting!

On an unrelated note, I know how you like true crime and thought you'd like to know that there is a movie being made of the Snowtown murders. There was also an interview of Martin Bryant's (Port Arthur massacre) mother on 60 Minutes the other night. A lot of Australians were outraged that they did an interview with her. I only managed to record about half the interview (damn!) but I'll send it to you soon, along with a few other things I've been stockpiling to send you.

Thanks very much for the info, I'll definitely have to add the Snowtown murders movie to my To Be Watched -list. Will it be released this year? Oh Kylie, I'm so happy and pleased you'll be sending me a copy of the interview, I bet it'll be creepy and yet fascinating. I can understand why the Aussies would be outraged :( But then again (and I'm not making excuses for Martin Bryant or belittling the pain of the victims' families!), it must've been really hard for his parents as well. These things are never easy :friends0:

I can't believe you've been stockpiling things to send to me!! I'm now really excited!! :exc: I also have some things for you and I was going to send them to you as a Birthday pressie but for some reasons which you need not know there's been a delay so unfortunately you need to wait a little longer.

Kylie, did Jennifer, Marieke and Jason talk about what they had been reading during the summer holidays?

Edit: Kylie, I just remembered something I've been meaning to mention to you. Some weeks ago BF and I started watching this true crime documentary on TV, I can't for the life of me remember the girl's name who was murdered. Anyways, it caught our attention because it all took place in Australia, and in NSW in particular. There were 3 guys and a girl who were loitering at a railway station and they saw this woman who'd come from work and was getting to her car to drive home. They took over her car and kidnapped her and did all sorts of nasty things before dumping her in a river =( The suburb you live in was also mentioned, I think they drove past it or something. I remember you told me about some local tragedy but I can't remember if this was the case you were talking about or something else? Anyways, awful stuff. =(

Edit: I googled it and it was Janine Balding.

Edit: I stumbled upon the MAKO files and it's one hell of a disturbing read, and I read about Alfred Jessop (and poor Vicky Barton) and apparently he's roaming free at the moment, bicycling around Sydney with the same kind of bicycle trailer he used to carry Vicky's body. I can't believe they let people like that out of jail! =(

Kylie, again: I just visited the FTBC website and I was totally stunned to learn that I can watch the Bovary+Le Carre episode!! Yay, this is rather surprising because I can't watch Letters and Numbers. Wohoo! I'm now going to watch the episode.

Who's this Anna they're referring to while talking about Emma? A character on the Le Carre book, or perhaps Anna Karenina?

OMG! I can even watch episodes from past years and there's the episode of which we went to see the recording! Heheee.

And now I've discovered the FTBC forum! Here's a fishy comment =D

Edited by frankie

My rating system stems from the goodreads rating, so a 2/5 means it was okay. I didn't hate it at all and it was 1 000 times better than I had expected! How far are you with the novel? There was a certain repetitiveness that I didn't enjoy and I was really frustrated with a lot of the characters, otherwise I might've given it a 3/5.

Yay for finding Watchmen! I hope you enjoy it. Be sure to post your thoughts in the reading circle discussion.

I've read around 230 pages of Madame Bovary so far. To me, 2/5 means 'I didn't like this at all'. :) And yes, Jason really enjoyed it. But you probably know that by now.

Oooh extra episodes, have they revealed the upcoming themes? Very exciting!

The first one is on cult books. I think there may be one on sci-fi/fantasy, but it's possible that was just a dream I had last night. :blush:

Thanks very much for the info, I'll definitely have to add the Snowtown murders movie to my To Be Watched -list. Will it be released this year? Oh Kylie, I'm so happy and pleased you'll be sending me a copy of the interview, I bet it'll be creepy and yet fascinating. I can understand why the Aussies would be outraged :( But then again (and I'm not making excuses for Martin Bryant or belittling the pain of the victims' families!), it must've been really hard for his parents as well. These things are never easy

I'm not sure when it's being released. I don't even know if it's been filmed yet or if it's just 'in the works'.

Bryant's Dad committed suicide when Bryant was a kid. His Mum used that as a reason for the massacre, although she also claims that Bryant is innocent. :rolleyes: I don't think she is necessarily the full quid, although I'm not sure if she was always like that. I did a bit of research later...I hadn't realised that Bryant was committed without trial. There are people who believe that he was just a patsy and that the real shootist was a former SAS soldier. They claim that Bryant could never have shot with such accuracy and from such a distance when he had little experience with guns.

Kylie, did Jennifer, Marieke and Jason talk about what they had been reading during the summer holidays?

Yep, they did. Have you watched the episode yet? I love Marieke's rant on Le Carre at the beginning. So funny! :giggle2:

Edit: I googled it and it was Janine Balding.

Hmm, that name sounds familiar to me. My home town was also mentioned in the news yesterday. A young woman was found murdered and buried in an old woman's backyard (she has been charged with the murder). Apparently she used to live in my town and was a very quiet person...so quiet that no-one noticed her missing for over 2 years. :rolleyes: Poor thing.

Kylie, again: I just visited the FTBC website and I was totally stunned to learn that I can watch the Bovary+Le Carre episode!! Yay, this is rather surprising because I can't watch Letters and Numbers. Wohoo! I'm now going to watch the episode.

I'm not sure why I never thought to tell you that the eps were online. Sorry! :blush:

Who's this Anna they're referring to while talking about Emma? A character on the Le Carre book, or perhaps Anna Karenina?

Yes, they're talking about Anna Karenina. I was a bit disappointed in them for spoiling the plot when they did that little synopsis at the beginning! Now I know where the story is going and what is going to happen. :irked:

And now I've discovered the FTBC forum! Here's a fishy comment =D

That's a pretty harsh comment! I agree to an extent, but there was no need to get quite so angry about it!

ETA: Ooh, you're going to love the Cult Reads episode! Markus Zusak is a guest panellist! And I was right: there is a sci-fi/fantasy episode coming up.

Edited by Kylie

Dear Frankie, I just finished Madam Bovari by Flober. The idea of the book for me is good, author has showed bad character of Bovari. But as all books of that time - too many flowery words ) So may be I would accept your 2/5 :)

Yay for finding Watchmen! I hope you enjoy it. Be sure to post your thoughts in the reading circle discussion.

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to reading it. Like I said, I never even knew what graphic novels really are, and the cover put me off totally. They looked like He-Man was having a party with his weirdo friends. After having seen the beaufitul graphics on Wuthering Heights, Edgar Allan Poe stories etc in the library, it seems pure agony to have to go through such harsh and ridiculous images :blush:

I've read around 230 pages of Madame Bovary so far. To me, 2/5 means 'I didn't like this at all'. And yes, Jason really enjoyed it. But you probably know that by now.

Yep, they did. Have you watched the episode yet? I love Marieke's rant on Le Carre at the beginning. So funny!

I'm not sure why I never thought to tell you that the eps were online. Sorry!

I'm now really glad you asked me about my rating and brought it to my attention, I think I should add an explanation on my rating system on my read books -post. Thanks! We have such different systems it seems. I don't really like the rating system on goodreads but I don't want to have a different one on here because it would clash with the GR system, I want all my ratings to be the same.

Don't worry about not telling me about the episodes being online, if you'd told me I would've told you that they won't probably work here in Finland just like Letters and Numbers doesn't, and I don't know if I would've bothered to try in fear of being disappointed. I'm glad I can now watch what ever I want! However, I was a bit disappointed in the videos because they are not in the format of an entire episode, they only have 8 minute (or so) clips on each book they discuss, meaning there's a lot of editing and I'll be missing their discussions on which books they've read and all the other extra stuff :(

I watched the Bovary clip but it was really short and I did get the idea that everyone loved the book, however it seemed like Jason didn't have much of a chance to comment. I was reading the FTBC forum and I agree with some of the posts saying he (and some of the guests) is cut off a lot by Jennifer and Marieke, but I think they don't do it out of spite, they're just so excited about the books and want to have their say. I think the show should be a lot longer, especially since they do it once a month only.

I didn't watch the Le Carre clip because I still have my own prejudices against his novels and I thought it would not interest me. I also would like to read the book before listening to their thoughts on it.

The first one is on cult books. I think there may be one on sci-fi/fantasy, but it's possible that was just a dream I had last night.

Oooh cult books, that should be interesting! I think Confederacy of Dunces would go nicely in that theme but they've already done that. I read your post yesterday and am only replying to it now, but did you say somewhere that you've checked the list and there really is a scifi/fantasy novel, or did I in turn dream about it last night? :lol: Ah no, I just scanned through your entire post and you've edited it and you did write about it in the end. Ooooh Markus Zusak!!! Holy heck :smile2: I do not want to miss that!!!

Coincidentally I borrowed a book on the topic from the library the other day: Cult Fiction - A Reader's Guide by Andrew Calcutt & Richard Shephard. I think I'll be looking into it today to see what titles they have there.

I'm not sure when it's being released. I don't even know if it's been filmed yet or if it's just 'in the works'.

Bryant's Dad committed suicide when Bryant was a kid. His Mum used that as a reason for the massacre, although she also claims that Bryant is innocent. :rolleyes: I don't think she is necessarily the full quid, although I'm not sure if she was always like that. I did a bit of research later...I hadn't realised that Bryant was committed without trial. There are people who believe that he was just a patsy and that the real shootist was a former SAS soldier. They claim that Bryant could never have shot with such accuracy and from such a distance when he had little experience with guns.

Let me know about the movie when you know when it's being released, please, if you don't mind? :cool:

Ach, so the tree was a faulty one even before the apple fell off, so to speak. In that case I definitely understand the OZ reaction to it. What's your view on the conspiracy theory? Aren't there multiple eye witnesses to the event??

Hmm, that name sounds familiar to me. My home town was also mentioned in the news yesterday. A young woman was found murdered and buried in an old woman's backyard (she has been charged with the murder). Apparently she used to live in my town and was a very quiet person...so quiet that no-one noticed her missing for over 2 years. Poor thing.

That's so sad. The society's changed so much in the past decades, people don't care about their neighbors, acquaintances that much anymore, everybody's just looking out for themselves, at least in the bigger towns and cities, or at least that's how it seems to me. And I don't think we even to that on purpose, it's just how people have become. :(

Yes, they're talking about Anna Karenina. I was a bit disappointed in them for spoiling the plot when they did that little synopsis at the beginning! Now I know where the story is going and what is going to happen.

You mean they spoiled the plot of Madame Bovary? Dear oh dear! :rolleyes: You'd think they would be the ones to know how crucial it is for people's reading experiences not to have the whole thing spoiled for them. Tut tut!!!!

Dear Frankie, I just finished Madam Bovari by Flober. The idea of the book for me is good, author has showed bad character of Bovari. But as all books of that time - too many flowery words ) So may be I would accept your 2/5

I agree, too much description, and hopes of things happening, and nothing that much going on in the end. I know it must've been a very fascinating book in the days but I think I've just read too many books that have the same basic plot and there wasn't anything unique to this particular one for me. I noticed you've posted something new on your reading blog, I'm now going to go over there and see what's new :)

I know this is mainly a reading blog, but you may have noticed that I also keep a list of movies To Be Watched on the first page of this thread. I was browsing through my calender and I noticed that I've listed a lot of great movies that are going to be shown on TV next week on the weekend and I wanted to mention some of them because they have something to do with my reading.

On Friday there's The Man Who Wasn't There, which I think peacefield will be particularly happy about, it being a Coen Brothers movie. It's mentioned to be a quirky film noir kind of movie so I'm not sure if it's something I'll like but I'm very keen on giving it a go.

On Saturday we have Transamerica which I think should be good, given the subject matter. There's also Hardbodies which is mentioned on the Gilmore Girls, Lorelai making Luke watch it and him falling asleep during the movie, which upset Rory when she heard about it afterwards. Apparently it's quite the classic! :D

On Sunday we have Blå maend, a Danish movie, I never miss the opportunity to watch a Nordic movie. There's also To Kill a Mockingbird which I'm really thrilled about, having now actually read and LOVED the book.

And now I've realised that there will be a lot of movies I want to watch/record this weekend as well. There's

- Kohtaamisia , a Finnish movie that I wanted to go and see at the movies but never did,

- Elsker dig for evigt, another Danish movie

- Something's Gotta Give, I'm not a big fan of Jack Nicholson (except for his performance on The Shining) or Diane Keaton but I once saw little snippets of this movie and it seemed like something I want to watch in full

- The Cable Guy, I don't remember if I've seen it already but nowadays I'll watch anything with Jim Carrey, he's so much more versatile nowadays and I like him

- Spring Break, just for the heck of it

- The Defiant Ones, there's Tony Curtis, and Sidney Poitier whom I've never seen before and I'm looking forward to finally having the chance, and the idea of the movie is very interesting, and apparently it's won Oscars,

- Twilight, need I say why??

- Fryktelig lykkelig, another Danish movie.

The problem is I don't have a lot of space on my digibox so I need to watch some movies before being able to record any new ones :lol:

Not to ignore your book reviews, Frankie, but I always have something to say about movie watchings! :D

Believe it or not (don't fall over), but I never saw The Man Who Wasn't There! I know, I'm very disappointed in myself. I think it's the one with James Straitharn (sp) right? You'll have to let me know what you think of it, but I do need to see it one day! Speaking of other films to be seen, I saw an ad for Tetro on DVD the other day so this is near the top of my list. Anything with Vincent Gallo!

I've never seen any of the Danish or Finnish movies you mentioned, unfortunately. I'll have to try and find something good that has subtitles. Can you recommend anything, Frankie?

Have you seen To Kill a Mockingbird before? Get ready to be amazed :D. It, like the book, is a classic IMO.

I wish Jim Carey would work with Michel Gondry and Charlie Kaufman again. Their work on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has been my favorite for years and tbh (sorry Frankie) it's the only movie I've enjoyed Carey in :lurker:.

Don't worry, I haven't been reviewing books for what seems like ages and I was actually kind of expecting and hoping for your input on the movies :wink:

Believe it or not (don't fall over), but I never saw The Man Who Wasn't There! I know, I'm very disappointed in myself. I think it's the one with James Straitharn (sp) right? You'll have to let me know what you think of it, but I do need to see it one day! Speaking of other films to be seen, I saw an ad for Tetro on DVD the other day so this is near the top of my list. Anything with Vincent Gallo!

You might be disappointed in yourself, but I'm only hella surprised! :lol: I imdbed the movie and the name James Straitharn (there was nothing on that particular spelling) but I didn't find any link between them, are you sure you've got the right movie? I don't know what it's about but Billy Bob Thornton is in it. Does that help?

Hm, have we talked about Tetro? I fail to remember :blush: But yes, I think I also need to stack up on Vincent Gallo movies :giggle2:

I've never seen any of the Danish or Finnish movies you mentioned, unfortunately. I'll have to try and find something good that has subtitles. Can you recommend anything, Frankie?

That's a really tough question. I have no idea which Finnish movies have English subtitles, I just have no clue. My favorite is Kuutamolla, excellent plot with lots of eye candy, at least for my eyes. Elling is an excellent and funny Norwegian movie which I just recommended to vodkafan. And I'd definitely watch the original versions of movies like Let the Right One In and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I dislike it when everything is hollywoodised, and besides Swedes make awesome movies. I'll have to give this more thought and get back to you on this one.

Have you seen To Kill a Mockingbird before? Get ready to be amazed :D. It, like the book, is a classic IMO.

I wish Jim Carey would work with Michel Gondry and Charlie Kaufman again. Their work on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has been my favorite for years and tbh (sorry Frankie) it's the only movie I've enjoyed Carey in :lurker:.

Nope, I've never seen To Kill a Mockingbird before, which is why I'm so thrilled to watch it now. I'm expecting great things from it!

And don't worry, I wasn't a big fan of Jim Carrey either, when he was doing Dumb & Dumber and those Ace Ventura movies. I thought he was really annoying. So I totally get why some people are not into him or can't stand him at all. He's grown on me, probably because of Truman Show and Bruce Almighty. I think he was sensational also in Yes Man, the movie with Zooey Deschanel :cool: I've also seen ESotSM but it's not the easiest movie on the mind and I'd just had a quarrel with BF and was sulking :D I need to watch it again sometime.

- 1. Something's Gotta Give, I'm not a big fan of Jack Nicholson (except for his performance on The Shining) or Diane Keaton but I once saw little snippets of this movie and it seemed like something I want to watch in full
- 2. The Cable Guy, I don't remember if I've seen it already but nowadays I'll watch anything with Jim Carrey, he's so much more versatile nowadays and I like him
- 3. Twilight, need I say why??

1. I watched the first hour of Something's Gotta Give a few weeks ago, and really got into it, but I had to get up for work early so I went to bed. I'm hoping it'll be on again as I'd like to watch it to its (predictable?) conclusion.

2. I've only seen two JC films, to my knowledge. The Mask (but years ago and I can't really remember it, and Liar Liar, which I thought was quite amusing, but generally I he's far too manic for my tastes. A bit like Steve Martin and that Farrell bloke! I hope you enjoy it though. ETA: Three - I've seen A Series of Unfortunate Events but didn't like it much.

3. Yes. :tongue:

I watched about 1/2 hour of it before finally admitting defeat! :lurker:

(Sorry - I don't mean to offend here :smile::hug: ).

:lol: Your non-offence is nontaken, each to their own :) But I'm not going to try and explain it because I think it would be a lost cause :D

Liar, Liar was okay and at times pretty funny but it's pretty much the old Jimbo, the one with a lot of energy and no control of his facial expressions. I'd recommend watching Yes Man or Truman Show, if you want to try something un-Carrey-like. I don't think I've seen The Mask but it's the kind of movie that I'd never watch voluntarily.

I just watched an excellent Danish movie, but I have to say that it was very disturbing and one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. If one's into that sort of thing then I'd recommend you watch Brothers. It's about a man who's sent off to war, and he and his family cope with it. There were a couple of shockers, I'd advise you not to read the synopsis, just watch it. Three of my most favorite actors were in it, which was no surprise because two of them are pretty much in all of the Danish movies I see :lol:

Don't worry, I haven't been reviewing books for what seems like ages and I was actually kind of expecting and hoping for your input on the movies.

You might be disappointed in yourself, but I'm only hella surprised! I imdbed the movie and the name James Straitharn (there was nothing on that particular spelling) but I didn't find any link between them, are you sure you've got the right movie? I don't know what it's about but Billy Bob Thornton is in it. Does that help?

Hm, have we talked about Tetro? I fail to remember. But yes, I think I also need to stack up on Vincent Gallo movies.

That's a really tough question. I have no idea which Finnish movies have English subtitles, I just have no clue. My favorite is Kuutamolla, excellent plot with lots of eye candy, at least for my eyes. Elling is an excellent and funny Norwegian movie which I just recommended to vodkafan. And I'd definitely watch the original versions of movies like Let the Right One In and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I dislike it when everything is hollywoodised, and besides Swedes make awesome movies. I'll have to give this more thought and get back to you on this one.

Nope, I've never seen To Kill a Mockingbird before, which is why I'm so thrilled to watch it now. I'm expecting great things from it!

And don't worry, I wasn't a big fan of Jim Carrey either, when he was doing Dumb & Dumber and those Ace Ventura movies. I thought he was really annoying. So I totally get why some people are not into him or can't stand him at all. He's grown on me, probably because of Truman Show and Bruce Almighty. I think he was sensational also in Yes Man, the movie with Zooey Deschanel :cool: I've also seen ESotSM but it's not the easiest movie on the mind and I'd just had a quarrel with BF and was sulking :D I need to watch it again sometime.

I am ALWAYS up for movie discussion, Frankie! :D

I'm very mixed up today, so I apologise. The guy I was thinking of is David Strathairn and he was in the movie Good Night and Good Luck. I had that and the Coen bros movie confused because I was seeing both black and white posters in my head :lol:. I have added The Man Who Wasn't There to my Netflix queue though, so I'm excited to see it. I see Frances McDormand is in it (kind of a given) and Tony Shaloub, whom I love!

We might've briefly discussed Tetro, but not much since neither of us have seen it :lol: Hopefully soon we'll be able to talk about both that film and Buffalo '66.

I'll try to track down Kuutamolla and Elling. Hopefully they'll have English subtitles available! Lame me and my non-biligual-ness. Oh and eye candy? I'm there! I have seen all 3 of the Steig Larsson films though and I have LTROI in my queue. I am however dying for the American version of Tattoo because David Fincher is directing and he is one of my fave directors of all time :D.

I forgot about Carey being in Truman Show, so that is another one of his that I enjoyed. I think he's similar to how I feel about Will Farrell - I only ever liked him in his non-comedic role of Stranger Than Fiction, which, btw, have you seen? In my top faves as well :D. Oh, and I never saw Yes Man, but I'm a fan of Zooey Deschanel's sister Emily! :D

Hi Frankie 3.gif, I am in between about Jim Carrey but I think that's a lot to do with the fact that my youngest brother watched 'Ace Ventura ~ Pet Detective' constantly :rolleyes:

Edited by Weave

I watched The Truman Show a couple of months back and loved it. Also seen Bruce Almighty and enjoyed that too. Guess I'm a Jim Carey fan.

Edited by Ben

You must watch To Kill a Mockingbird as soon as you can! Don't let it languish on your digibox (hope that's right). It really is as good an adaptation as you're ever going to find. :)

Wow, all of a sudden loads of comments on my blog, nice :D

I am ALWAYS up for movie discussion, Frankie!

My dependable movie mate :friends0:

I'm very mixed up today, so I apologise. The guy I was thinking of is David Strathairn and he was in the movie Good Night and Good Luck. I had that and the Coen bros movie confused because I was seeing both black and white posters in my head :lol:. I have added The Man Who Wasn't There to my Netflix queue though, so I'm excited to see it. I see Frances McDormand is in it (kind of a given) and Tony Shaloub, whom I love!

Aa David Strathairn, the name doesn't ring a bell but his face is very familiar, but I just can't remember where I've seen him. OMG now it hit me: he played the awful father in Dolores Claiborne. His picture gave me the shivers :D But then I also got the feeling that I've seen him as a sympathetic character in some other movie, and after some research I realised it was in The River Wild.

I also had to google the name Frances McDormand but the minute I saw her face I knew who you were talking about and I know you love her. She's great and has this likable feeling to her. Tony Shalhoub's excellent, allthough I've only seen him in Monk and Stark Raving Mad, which is one of the funniest comedies ever. Talk about the opposite ends of the spectrum, the characters he plays in those are very, very different :lol:

I'll try to track down Kuutamolla and Elling. Hopefully they'll have English subtitles available! Lame me and my non-biligual-ness. Oh and eye candy? I'm there! I have seen all 3 of the Steig Larsson films though and I have LTROI in my queue. I am however dying for the American version of Tattoo because David Fincher is directing and he is one of my fave directors of all time :D.

I found out that the international title of Kuutamolla is Lovers & Leavers, does that mean that there's a copy of it with subtitles? Ah, if it's David Fincher and you like him then I understand. Didn't he have something to do with Se7en? Now that's one heck of a good movie, but incredibly disturbing, and graphic.

I forgot about Carey being in Truman Show, so that is another one of his that I enjoyed. I think he's similar to how I feel about Will Farrell - I only ever liked him in his non-comedic role of Stranger Than Fiction, which, btw, have you seen? In my top faves as well :D. Oh, and I never saw Yes Man, but I'm a fan of Zooey Deschanel's sister Emily! :D

The thing about Carrey is that most people remember his goofiest movies only. And then when they do deeper and start to really remember all the things he's done there seems to be an endless list of movies, which IMO have been pretty great, at least most of them. Do you remember when there was this bearded, long-haired man in the Oscars (or in some other gala) and nobody really knew who he was and it turned out it was Jim Carrey, in some costume, and I think he was playing a character he was just filming, or something? Or does my memory play it's nasty tricks on me again? Would you happen to remember which movie it was that the character came from?

I think Will Ferrell is nothing like Jim Carrey, I think they are on completely different levels, I consider Ferrell to be more camp and not so serious about his career (this is just my gut feeling that isn't really based on anything). I feel like I've seen Ferrell in everything but now that I'm looking at his imdb profile, I've only seen him on SNL (the epic skit with Carrey, Ferrell and Jimmy Fallon (?) in the clubs, dancing to Haddaway's What Is Love is from SNL, right?), Old School, The Legend of Ron Burgundy and Blades of Glory. I think he has a lot of potential but I don't like the movies he's in, except for Blades of Glory which was really good, with Jon Heder, who's a legend, from Napoleon Dynamite. You've seen it right?

I haven't seen Stranger than Fiction but I think I should, I'll make a note of it. And yep I remember you're a fan of Zooey's sister, how could one not know/forget? :lol:

I'm reading the book Yes Man on which the film was based. I'm struggling to imagine Jim Carey as Danny Wallace though!

Yeah I noticed yesterday or the day before yesterday on the Book Activity -thread that you're currently reading a book called Yes Man but I had no idea the movie is based on it or any other book. I now feel slightly embarrassed, having just recently ranted about a pal of mine who didn't know, for example, that Dexter the TV series is based on books. :blush::giggle: What goes around, comes around! I'm going to add the book to my wishlist, I'm definitely interested. How are you liking it so far?

Hi Frankie , I am in between about Jim Carrey but I think that's a lot to do with the fact that my youngest brother watched 'Ace Ventura ~ Pet Detective' constantly

Oh I can imagine your mixed feelings :giggle2: He's pretty uncontrolled in Ace Ventura's, but I have to confess I still like those movies anyhow.

I watched The Truman Show a couple of months back and loved it. Also seen Bruce Almighty and enjoyed that too. Guess I'm a Jim Carey fan.

Hi Ben, glad to hear there are other fans too :friends0:The Truman Show is amazing, I never tire of watching it, as well as Bruce Almighty. One of my other favorite Carrey movies is Me, Myself & Irene, now that's pretty typical Carrey but it's sooo funny :D

Frankie I know you like Hobnobs but how do you feel about custard creams or bourbon biscuits? Do you have those in Finland?

I've never heard of custard creams or bourbon biscuits so I had to image google them. I immediately recognised the idea of custard creams, we have a couple of biscuit brands here that are very similar to those and yes I like them a lot :wink: Based on image google I still had no idea what bourbon biscuits are so I had to wiki them and I think we probably have something similar to those as well. However, if there's a chocolate biscuit, I prefer that the filling is vanilla. In Finland we have Domino cookies, which I believe is very similar if not the same to the American Oreos, do you have those in the UK?

All this cookie talk is making me miss Tim Tams and Iced Vo Vos :(

You must watch To Kill a Mockingbird as soon as you can! Don't let it languish on your digibox (hope that's right). It really is as good an adaptation as you're ever going to find.

I will :yes: It's a movie I've been wanting to watch for ages so there's no way I'm going to let it sit around without me watching it asap. :friends3:

RE: Oreos in the UK: According to wiki: In May 2008, following stocking of Oreo cookies in the supermarket chain Sainsbury's, Kraft decided to fully launch the Oreo across the UK. In 2004, the convenience store chain Deli de Luca started selling Oreo in all of their stores. It was welcomed by consumers, and is the top-selling cookie to young people.

Edited by frankie

RE: Oreos in the UK: According to wiki: In May 2008, following stocking of Oreo cookies in the supermarket chain Sainsbury's, Kraft decided to fully launch the Oreo across the UK. In 2004, the convenience store chain Deli de Luca started selling Oreo in all of their stores. It was welcomed by consumers, and is the top-selling cookie to young people.

Yes I can believe that. All my kids like Oreos although I do not. Official confirmation I am not young I guess