Kylie

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is fantastic news Kylie I am really pleased for you. :friends3:

Congratulations, what a long process to have gone through, what a brilliant and well deserved result! :clapping:

They could have saved all that time and just asked us whether Kylie should have the job.. :giggle2:

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and congratulations. :)

I'm going to be super busy from now on. No more lazing about in front of the telly for me (a shame, really :blush:). I bought a multi-function printer and a very cheap laptop on the weekend. I have my lovely Macbook but I need some software that is (of course) only available for Windows. I'm not a huge Apple geek or anything, but I have to say, Apple's design run circles around the dodgy PC laptops! They all had such ugly and uncomfortable-looking hand rests and keyboards etc. Awful!

I have nowhere to put my new toys so I'll be needing to buy a new desk (it's going to take me years to earn the money to cover these expenses :giggle2:). The plan is to convert the spare bedroom into a study. Geez, I live alone in a 3-bedroom place - you would think I would be rattling around inside but actually there is no room for anyone but me! I have so many gadgets now that I also need to look into getting wifi.

Primo Levi: The Periodic Table My other half keeps telling me what an amazing book this is, and it's sat just over my left shoulder as I write this so I'm often thinking about reading it, but I do find it a bit daunting.

Ransom Riggs: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children I keep seeing the one pop up on my recommendations on amazon, and it does intrigue me, so I might well be joining you in getting a copy of this one as some point.

The premise behind The Periodic Table sounds interesting. I hope it won't be a difficult read. I find that I often have preconceived ideas about what an author's books will be like, and Primo Levi is one of them.

It does indeed sound intriguing. I had a very quick flick through the book and there are some lovely old photos scattered throughout, which gets a big thumbs-up from me. I can't wait to read this one.

:lol: Great title!

</Off to Amazon for a look-see!>

I can't remember if it was the title or the cover that grabbed my attention, but they're both great, so there was really no question whether or not to buy it. :D

They could have saved all that time and just asked us whether Kylie should have the job..

:doh: Why didn't I think of that? I could have listed you all as my referees. :wink:

Frankie, I didn't notice your comments on my book purchases until days later. Sorry! I can't believe I missed it when I had been waiting rather impatiently to hear from you. I'll comment on your comments later.

I received two more books in the mail today:

Emma Donoghue: Room

Rachel Ferguson: The Brontes Went to Woolworths

Hm, did you at some point get Mencken's Chrestomathy?

HL Mencken: A Mencken Chrestomathy (Rory)

:D You didn't but you'd ordered it and now you have it! Jealouuuussss.

Italo Calvino: The Complete Cosmicomics

More Calvino!

Michel Faber: The Apple

I'm curious about this, what is it about?

Ted Hughes: The Iron Man (1001 Children)

Ted Hughes: The Iron Woman

I hate to admit it but I'd love to try some Hughes. But not before I've read Plath's poetry!

Maurice Leblanc: Arsene Lupin, Gentleman-Thief

Ooh, sounds great!

Primo Levi: The Periodic Table

You really need to read some Levi and tell me if he's any good!

Sylvia Plath: Collected Children's Stories

Jealous!

Ransom Riggs: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

A very curious title, I want to know how you like it when you've finished it.

Richard J Evans: The Third Reich in Power

Interesting!

HL Mencken: A Mencken Chrestomathy (Rory)

Need I repeat myself?

Julie Rugg & Lynda Murphy: A Book Addict's Treasury

Please, tell me more about this :)

I bought a multi-function printer and a very cheap laptop on the weekend. I have my lovely Macbook but I need some software that is (of course) only available for Windows. I'm not a huge Apple geek or anything, but I have to say, Apple's design run circles around the dodgy PC laptops! They all had such ugly and uncomfortable-looking hand rests and keyboards etc. Awful!

:lol: Ahaha, sorry but had to laugh at PC comments!

I have nowhere to put my new toys so I'll be needing to buy a new desk (it's going to take me years to earn the money to cover these expenses :giggle2:). The plan is to convert the spare bedroom into a study. Geez, I live alone in a 3-bedroom place - you would think I would be rattling around inside but actually there is no room for anyone but me! I have so many gadgets now that I also need to look into getting wifi.

I'm being selfish, but I shall miss my bedroom very much :( RIP, bedroom! I guess you'll need to buy a tent for me, I'll sleep outside in the courtyard with the lizards :) Or I'll go and live with your parents. We'll see how you like me being best buds with your Mum, and us two going bookshopping without you! :P I was only KIDDING!! I'll rent the apartment across the driveway and we'll be neighbors! Or I'll find me a bogan who'll accommodate me. Need to study my Bogan Handbook more closely :haha:

Frankie, I didn't notice your comments on my book purchases until days later. Sorry! I can't believe I missed it when I had been waiting rather impatiently to hear from you. I'll comment on your comments later.

I know!! :irked:

:giggle:

Yay, I really hope you enjoy the book!

This sounds great, is it fiction or non-fiction?

Have a good day, Miss Kylie!

How did you like the book? I remember it being something quite unexpected and I don't think I really knew what to make of it. How did Jason like it?

I recall that Jason liked Cold Comfort Farm quite a lot. I liked it reasonably well, but I don't think it was as funny as I was led to believe. The FTBCers seemed to think it was very funny, and when they read from the book out loud or spoke about certain sections, it did seem more humorous.

I'm so behind on things on here on the forum, I have no idea if you've now started and already finished this book. Too bad I wasn't there to join you! Did you enjoy it?

I'm about 50 pages into The Master and Margarita but have more or less stopped completely until I finish Reading Lolita in Tehran. The first section that I'm reading is rather boring and I've been struggling a bit with it (I didn't know there was going to be stuff about Pontius Pilate and Jesus in there, which is a bit off-putting for me). I have high hopes that it will pick up later on. There is still plenty of time for you to join me if you like. ;)

Wow, I really didn't see this coming at all. What's he been reading? Is he now joining your Mum on her book raids? :D

I don't think Dad will ever be into reading that much. He was reading a book about the Birdsville Track, which is a road in outback Australia. Specifically, I think it was about the postie who delivers along that road (I think it takes him a week to deliver the mail or something and he has to cover thousands of kms).

It's a pretty hefty book, yes. But like you said, it's an important and interesting subject and I think you've mentioned somewhere that you've enjoyed some parts of it and are finding it insightful? I was also thinking about starting this when I noticed you're reading it, but it's in this pile that's got two cardboard boxes of books on top of it and it would've been too much of a hassle to try and get it out so I passed...

Have you recovered The Noonday Demon from under the pile now? ;) I only got about 100 pages into this one before I stopped, again because of RLiT. I just can't seem to concentrate on anything at the moment, although I was really enjoying what I had read of TND.

I think we had this conversation before, I don't have the book but it's on my wishlist, mostly because of the Rory book list status but it also sounds like a really great read. And yes this reminds me that I should add that 'wishlist' shelf next to the currently-reading, to-be-read, and read shelves. I was supposed to do that ages ago...

We've had a conversation about Nervous System before? Huh, I had no idea. I wonder if I had subconsciously remembered the title when I saw it in the shop...

I'll give you a month's probationary post with my bookshelves when you get here. We'll see how it goes!

I won't need that long! I'll prove my capabilities within one minute.

Now comments on books acquired by kirja-Kylie!

My Finnish name is so pretty. :D

- Jasper Fforde: The Fourth Bear (a paperback to replace my hardback)

I approve.

When I found my matching edition of The Fourth Bear, I excitedly showed my friend but she just thought I was weird for buying a second edition. I think she's a bit weird! :P Clearly she's not as much of a book-lover as I am.

- Primo Levi: If Not Now, When? (1001)

I'm really curious about this, I've seen it at the library a couple of times and I heard somewhere that it's a really good read.

I think we will both probably like it. :)

- Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell: The Curse of the Gloamglozer

What's this about?

It's part of a young adult fantasy series called The Edge Chronicles. Kell and Michelle have raved about them and I've been slowly collecting them all despite not having read any of them yet. :rolleyes: The series is broken down into several trilogies.

- Spike Milligan and Anthony Clare: Depression and How to Survive It

This sounds interesting.

I had no idea Spike Milligan suffered from depression until I saw this. It's a relatively short read.

- Ayn Rand: Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

Bloody hell Kylie, jealous!

:giggle2:

- Jon Ronson: The Men Who Stare at Goats

Hm, is this the book the movie is based on? I don't remember what the idea behind it is but I remember it was a pretty original idea.

Yes it is. Something about war.

- Pat Califia: Doc and Fluff

I'm so happy about this, I remember you were always looking for this and had been looking for it for ages

I'm so happy about this too!

- Dave Eggers: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Rory)

Yay for finding a copy of this, I remember when I bought it and you commented you'd like a copy as well.

Yep, I was quite jealous. :P

- Shel Silverstein: Where the Sidewalk Ends (1001 children)

Creepy!

Is not! You'll be happy to know that it didn't come with a dustjacket so there is no scary pic of the author.

- Anne Fadiman: Rereadings

Is this similar to Howards End is on the Landing?

Not really. It is a collection of essays by various people about rereading. I think Anne may have one or two in there, but it is mostly a collection of other peoples' writings.

- Virginia Holman: Rescuing Patty Hearst (Rory)

So jealous!

After you asked me if I knew what it was about, I went and looked it up and now I'm even more happy that I got it! I was right about who Patty Hearst was, but I hadn't realised that this book was more about her mother's mental illness. Oooh, here's a bit of trivia I know you'll be interested in: did you know that Patty Hearst appeared in an episode of Veronica Mars? She played a woman who faked her own kidnapping.

- Susanna Kaysen: GIrl, Interrupted (Rory)

Didn't like the movie, I know you did, but should make a good read anyhows.

I looooove the movie and it makes me sad that you don't like it. :( I haven't heard great things about the book though.

Edited by Kylie

You didn't but you'd ordered it and now you have it! Jealouuuussss.

Sweeeeet, isn't it? :D

You should be curious! :P It's a collection of short stories set in the world of The Crimson Petal and the White.

Ted Hughes: The Iron Man

I hate to admit it but I'd love to try some Hughes. But not before I've read Plath's poetry!

These are tiny books and I could probably knock them (and the Plath book) off in one day.

Or maybe you should read Levi and tell me if he's any good! :P

Ransom Riggs: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

A very curious title, I want to know how you like it when you've finished it.

Okey dokey. It looks great. Maybe I'll bump it up the pile. It could be just the type of book I need to get my mojo back up and running.

Please, tell me more about this :)

This is a similar book to one I read recently (also by Rugg) called Buried in Books. It's a collection of book-related quotes sourced from people, books etc.

I'm being selfish, but I shall miss my bedroom very much RIP, bedroom! I guess you'll need to buy a tent for me, I'll sleep outside in the courtyard with the lizards Or I'll go and live with your parents. We'll see how you like me being best buds with your Mum, and us two going bookshopping without you! I was only KIDDING!! I'll rent the apartment across the driveway and we'll be neighbors!

Don't go and stay anywhere else! :wibbly: Your bedroom will always be there for you. I can move my stuff in and out. Go bookshopping without me? :wibbly: Replace me with my Mum? :wibbly:

As it turns out, that place across the driveway from me is for sale right now.

I better, after all the rave reviews it has received here!

Non-fiction. Poppyshake reviewed it on her reading blog relatively recently.

Have a good day, Miss Kylie!

Thank you Miss Frankie. :friends0: I hope you have a good day too!

I received my last book in the mail yesterday: Franz Kafka's Diaries.

It's fiction .. and very bizarre fiction at that .. I only understood about half of it but the half I understood was very entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd completely forgotten that you'd replied to my post and I had stuff to post about, sorry Kylie :friends0:

I recall that Jason liked Cold Comfort Farm quite a lot. I liked it reasonably well, but I don't think it was as funny as I was led to believe. The FTBCers seemed to think it was very funny, and when they read from the book out loud or spoke about certain sections, it did seem more humorous.

I didn't think it was as funny as people made it out to be, either. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I think I would get more out of the book on a second reading. Might give it another go, since Jason liked it so well.

I don't think Dad will ever be into reading that much. He was reading a book about the Birdsville Track, which is a road in outback Australia. Specifically, I think it was about the postie who delivers along that road (I think it takes him a week to deliver the mail or something and he has to cover thousands of kms).

Hm, that's a rather unusual read.

Have you recovered The Noonday Demon from under the pile now? I only got about 100 pages into this one before I stopped, again because of RLiT. I just can't seem to concentrate on anything at the moment, although I was really enjoying what I had read of TND.

As a matter of fact I have, now that I got the new bookcase and don't have to use those cardboard boxes anymore. They were a bit of a safety hazard, although I didn't admit that to myself until I got the new bookcases. Haven't had time to start it yet though, too many other books to go through, and other stuff to dwell on. :(

Now comments on books acquired by kirja-Kylie!

My Finnish name is so pretty.

It is :) Alliteration and all!

- Jasper Fforde: The Fourth Bear (a paperback to replace my hardback)

When I found my matching edition of The Fourth Bear, I excitedly showed my friend but she just thought I was weird for buying a second edition. I think she's a bit weird! Clearly she's not as much of a book-lover as I am.

She is, if you don't mind me saying. I'm glad she's no competition!

- Primo Levi: If Not Now, When? (1001)

I'm really curious about this, I've seen it at the library a couple of times and I heard somewhere that it's a really good read.

I think we will both probably like it. :)

I hope so.

- Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell: The Curse of the Gloamglozer

What's this about?

It's part of a young adult fantasy series called The Edge Chronicles. Kell and Michelle have raved about them and I've been slowly collecting them all despite not having read any of them yet. The series is broken down into several trilogies.

Ah, okay :)

- Spike Milligan and Anthony Clare: Depression and How to Survive It

This sounds interesting.

I had no idea Spike Milligan suffered from depression until I saw this. It's a relatively short read.

Me either, although in all honesty don't know much about him otherwise. A prolific sort of fella, that's all.

- Ayn Rand: Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

Bloody hell Kylie, jealous!

Jesse was bitching about Ayn Rand again, when I was watching season 3...

- Dave Eggers: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Rory)

Yay for finding a copy of this, I remember when I bought it and you commented you'd like a copy as well.

Yep, I was quite jealous.

Too bad you don't have time to join the Rory reading group for this :(

- Shel Silverstein: Where the Sidewalk Ends (1001 children)

Creepy!

Is not! You'll be happy to know that it didn't come with a dustjacket so there is no scary pic of the author.

I am! Creepy Shelly.

- Anne Fadiman: Rereadings

Is this similar to Howards End is on the Landing?

Not really. It is a collection of essays by various people about rereading. I think Anne may have one or two in there, but it is mostly a collection of other peoples' writings.

Interesting, anyways!

- Virginia Holman: Rescuing Patty Hearst (Rory)

So jealous!

After you asked me if I knew what it was about, I went and looked it up and now I'm even more happy that I got it! I was right about who Patty Hearst was, but I hadn't realised that this book was more about her mother's mental illness. Oooh, here's a bit of trivia I know you'll be interested in: did you know that Patty Hearst appeared in an episode of Veronica Mars? She played a woman who faked her own kidnapping.

Sounds even more interesting than I thought. I'm not sure if I knew about that Veronica Mars detail though. I loved that show, well at least the first season! So cool for them to do a Gilmory kinda thing, have 'real life' people play parts in suitable eps/scenes.

- Susanna Kaysen: GIrl, Interrupted (Rory)

Didn't like the movie, I know you did, but should make a good read anyhows.

I looooove the movie and it makes me sad that you don't like it. I haven't heard great things about the book though.

I just caught the Girl, Interrupted quote on GG. If I remember correctly, it had to do with Sookie planning her wedding and she chose this really depressive song for the wedding and was all happy about it, while Rory and Lorelai were practically dying of depression. Rory suggested she and Lane would find Sookie some more suitable tunes. I think.

You didn't but you'd ordered it and now you have it! Jealouuuussss.

Sweeeeet, isn't it?

VERY! I looked for the book in the uni library when I was getting me some material for thesis, but they didn't have the Chrestomathy. But I got another book by him, it's about English language in America. There's even a short paragraph of Finnish English in America, more accurately coined 'Finglish'.

You should be curious! It's a collection of short stories set in the world of The Crimson Petal and the White.

Oh Yuck! Never mind!! Should've remembered, some people read the book after reading TCPatW for the Rory challenge.

Ted Hughes: The Iron Man

These are tiny books and I could probably knock them (and the Plath book) off in one day.

Don't knock them til you try them! :giggle:

Or maybe you should read Levi and tell me if he's any good!

Maybe. Not likely! :P

Please, tell me more about this

This is a similar book to one I read recently (also by Rugg) called Buried in Books. It's a collection of book-related quotes sourced from people, books etc.

Want!

Don't go and stay anywhere else! Your bedroom will always be there for you. I can move my stuff in and out. Go bookshopping without me? Replace me with my Mum?

I think my next coming over to your place has been already compromised by Jasper, the cat! I might not be able to physically stand him, no matter how much I would like to. Don't worry, your Mum and I like you very much, you can come along :empathy:

As it turns out, that place across the driveway from me is for sale right now.

Would they take a 50e note from me as a downpayment?

I better, after all the rave reviews it has received here!

You'd better indeed, I will think less of you if you don't enjoy it :giggle:

Good stuff!

I'll reply to the rest of your comments later, Frankie, but I just noticed that I told you that the Rachel Ferguson book was non-fiction. LOL. I couldn't be more wrong - it's most definitely a fiction novel!

It's fiction .. and very bizarre fiction at that .. I only understood about half of it but the half I understood was very entertaining.

I'll reply to the rest of your comments later, Frankie, but I just noticed that I told you that the Rachel Ferguson book was non-fiction. LOL. I couldn't be more wrong - it's most definitely a fiction novel!

Oh, yes ... :giggle2:

I didn't think it was as funny as people made it out to be, either. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I think I would get more out of the book on a second reading. Might give it another go, since Jason liked it so well.

Hehe...anything for Jason!

Hm, that's a rather unusual read.

The Birdsville Track is a bit of a legendary thing. Here's some info on it and the postie who travelled it (read the section on The Birdsville Track and The Back of Beyond). Next time you come to Australia we totally have to go driving in the outback. Then you'll start to get a sense of how big the country really is.

Jesse was bitching about Ayn Rand again, when I was watching season 3...

Hehe...Did I tell you there was a documentary about Ayn Rand on TV recently? I recorded it for you.

Too bad you don't have time to join the Rory reading group for this

Think again, my little chickadee! :D

Sounds even more interesting than I thought. I'm not sure if I knew about that Veronica Mars detail though. I loved that show, well at least the first season! So cool for them to do a Gilmory kinda thing, have 'real life' people play parts in suitable eps/scenes.

Definitely very GG of them.

I just caught the Girl, Interrupted quote on GG. If I remember correctly, it had to do with Sookie planning her wedding and she chose this really depressive song for the wedding and was all happy about it, while Rory and Lorelai were practically dying of depression. Rory suggested she and Lane would find Sookie some more suitable tunes. I think.

I love that song Sookie was playing, but yeah, it's not a great choice for a wedding. :giggle: Speaking of catching culture references in GG...I picked up on a reference to Flowers for Algernon that I'm sure I've never noticed before! I love that the show still surprises me after all this time.

I looked for the book in the uni library when I was getting me some material for thesis, but they didn't have the Chrestomathy. But I got another book by him, it's about English language in America. There's even a short paragraph of Finnish English in America, more accurately coined 'Finglish'.

Now I'm really jealous! Mencken and the English language. What an awesome combination!

Oh Yuck! Never mind!! Should've remembered, some people read the book after reading TCPatW for the Rory challenge.

But you loved TCPatW! Is it because The Apple received some lacklustre reviews that you don't want to read it?

I think my next coming over to your place has been already compromised by Jasper, the cat! I might not be able to physically stand him, no matter how much I would like to. Don't worry, your Mum and I like you very much, you can come along

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Would they take a 50e note from me as a downpayment?

Probably not. I had a go at the guy who owns that place once (stupid rich investor who think he can do whatever the heck he likes because he's rich :irked:), so I don't think he'll be doing favours for my friends any time soon!

You'd better indeed, I will think less of you if you don't enjoy it :giggle:

Uh oh. Maybe I won't read Room for a while...

Another huge book fair is rapidly approaching...:smile2: Now, 6 months ago I went and bought over 100 books, and I've since bought another ton of books (figuratively speaking). This means that I really should not be going to the book fair. For the past 6 months, I've been absolutely adamant that I wouldn't go. Until now.

I swear, these book fairs are like an addiction. I can't imagine not going and getting my fix. If I don't go, I'm quite sure I'll end up sitting on my bed all weekend, hugging my knees, rocking back and forth, and shaking and whimpering.

To make matters worse, my Mum (who only started reading this year) is going...without me! I can't let that happen! Now that I have a new job, I have an awesome excuse to go and buy reference books, and I would only go for a few (or several) hours. But that is plenty of time for me to buy dozens of books, which I don't have time to read any more.

I Should Not Be Buying Books.

*wrings hands anxiously* What to do? What to do???

Am I crazy coming to fellow bookaholics for advice?

Edited by Kylie

Have just woken up, can't yet write a long reply, but ... if you go, do NOT waste all your hard earnt money because you need to be saving some to come to Finland!!!

I probably couldn't not go. But I think you could benefit from some kind of ground rules. Like, work-related reference books are okay. Then you can get 10 biographies. 10 non-fiction. And 10 fiction books. Or maybe 5 each.

Another huge book fair is rapidly approaching...:smile2: Now, 6 months ago I went and bought over 100 books, and I've since bought another ton of books (figuratively speaking). This means that I really should not be going to the book fair. For the past 6 months, I've been absolutely adamant that I wouldn't go. Until now.

I swear, these book fairs are like an addiction. I can't imagine not going and getting my fix. If I don't go, I'm quite sure I'll end up sitting on my bed all weekend, hugging my knees, rocking back and forth, and shaking and whimpering.

To make matters worse, my Mum (who only started reading this year) is going...without me! I can't let that happen! Now that I have a new job, I have an awesome excuse to go and buy reference books, and I would only go for a few (or several) hours. But that is plenty of time for me to buy dozens of books, which I don't have time to read any more.

I Should Not Be Buying Books.

*wrings hands anxiously* What to do? What to do???

Am I crazy coming to fellow bookaholics for advice?

I would say visit the library that day! You can borrow some books and it won't cost you money and you'll get to browse through the sections just like you would at a fair, kind of. :-)

I know exactly how you feel and I'm also trying to not buy books, and it's not really working out for me. But stay strong, we can do it!

I bought six books today:

Ian McEwan: Solar

I could have sworn I already had this book, but I couldn't find it on any of my lists.

Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Gulp! But it's the lovely Vintage edition I've been wanting for years, and it was super cheap, so I couldn't resist.

Sandra Newman: Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read

This looks quite quirky and interesting; it's not just a straight-up list with little descriptions for each book. I think Frankie and Poppyshake would love it because there is a quote on the blurb that says it 'explores all the important issues like...whether anyone really likes Emma Bovary'. :giggle2:

Beth Revis: Across the Universe

Thanks to Weave's recommendation!

Ransom Riggs: The Sherlock Holmes Handbook: The Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective

Wow, I didn't even see the author's name when I bought it so I had no idea it was by the same person who wrote Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. This makes me more excited. I think I'm going to love Ransom Riggs.

Salman Rushdie: Midnight's Children (Vintage edition)

Edited by Kylie

Have just woken up, can't yet write a long reply, but ... if you go, do NOT waste all your hard earnt money because you need to be saving some to come to Finland!!!

I probably couldn't not go. But I think you could benefit from some kind of ground rules. Like, work-related reference books are okay. Then you can get 10 biographies. 10 non-fiction. And 10 fiction books. Or maybe 5 each.

Of course I'll be putting some aside for Finland! I should be getting a nice hefty payment from the taxman any day now, which will easily cover my expenses for the book fair. :D

OK Frankie, I want you to do something for me. Imagine yourself back at the bookfair, with all those miles of luscious, cheap books in front of you. Can you honestly tell me you could restrict yourself to just 30 (or 15!)? I think you bought a lot more than that, and that was when you knew you couldn't take them home with you! :P Try again, missy!

I would say visit the library that day! You can borrow some books and it won't cost you money and you'll get to browse through the sections just like you would at a fair, kind of. :-)

I know exactly how you feel and I'm also trying to not buy books, and it's not really working out for me. But stay strong, we can do it!

But I don't think I wanna stay strong. :( Libraries don't do it for me, I'm afraid. I know it would be so much cheaper, but I really love to have my own books to caress read whenever I want.

Of course I'll be putting some aside for Finland! I should be getting a nice hefty payment from the taxman any day now, which will easily cover my expenses for the book fair. :D

OK Frankie, I want you to do something for me. Imagine yourself back at the bookfair, with all those miles of luscious, cheap books in front of you. Can you honestly tell me you could restrict yourself to just 30 (or 15!)? I think you bought a lot more than that, and that was when you knew you couldn't take them home with you! :P Try again, missy!

But I read like 30 books while I was there!!! And I could take some books with me!

I love your taxman. Give him a kissy for me :giggle:

Of course, any Murakamis, Italo Calvino, Hunter S. Thompson and the likes do not have to be included in the 15/30.