Boy's LIfe by Robert McCammon

Pixie

Synopsis from Amazon:

In me are the memories of a boy's life, spent in that realm of enchantments. These are the things I want to tell you....

Robert McCammon delivers "a tour de force of storytelling" (BookPage) in his award-winning masterpiece, a novel of Southern boyhood, growing up in the 1960s, that reaches far beyond that evocative landscape to touch readers universally.

Boy's Life is a richly imagined, spellbinding portrait of the magical worldview of the young -- and of innocence lost.

Zephyr, Alabama, is an idyllic hometown for eleven-year-old Cory Mackenson -- a place where monsters swim the river deep and friends are forever. Then, one cold spring morning, Cory and his father witness a car plunge into a lake -- and a desperate rescue attempt brings his father face-to-face with a terrible, haunting vision of death. As Cory struggles to understand his father's pain, his eyes are slowly opened to the forces of good and evil that surround him. From an ancient mystic who can hear the dead and bewitch the living, to a violent clan of moonshiners, Cory must confront the secrets that hide in the shadows of his hometown -- for his father's sanity and his own life hang in the balance....

This book definitely deserves it's own thread. It was that good. Here is my review. I hope others will give this book a go. It was my first by this author.

If you love your reality mixed in with a bit of fantasy; eccentric, small-town characters who are believable; a coming-of-age theme; and a page-turning mystery, you will enjoy this book. In some ways, it reminded me of a combination of Stephen King's and Ray Bradbury's style.

Although there is a main plot line, there are also side stories that take place, each of them fascinating in their own right. You will learn about the Lady, and why she shouldn't and should be feared. You will learn about the odd neighbor that wanders through the town without a stitch of clothing, and weep when you learn his story. You will get an answer to the mystery of the murder that takes place in the first chapter. But first and foremost, you will learn about Cory, as he matures into adulthood and discards his childhood fears for very real adult ones in his struggle to help his father work through his own demons.

I absolutely adored this book, and I had never heard of the author until recently. I can't recommend it enough. :)

I think you would love it, Weave. :) It was such a page-turner. Even though it was a thick book, I could rarely put it down.

Good stuff, thanks Pixie :)

• 5 months later...

It is too bad it's not available on Kindle. Very few of his books are.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the publisher and request that it be made available in e-book format. :)

• 3 months later...

You're welcome, Hyzenthlay.

Always glad to let others know when I think a book is awesome.

I am also pleased to hear that others are agreeing with me on how good this book is. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thought those interested in Boy's Life and other Robert McCammon works might like to know that 9 of his novels have just recently been released in e-book format. I know I saw them on amazon.com in the US. :)

Edited by Pixie

Pixie

I'll definitely second you on this book .It was SO good ! I read it a long time back and didnt even remember it til you mentioned it here . I don't keep the books I read,and also have never kept a reading list of any kind,so some books just float off someplace in the dusty corners of my brain til someone mentions them,and then I remember, oh yea, I read that !!!

It really was a wonderful book. Only one of his I've ever read , though !!

Julie,

I haven't read any of his others yet, but I do have them in my TBR pile. My TBR pile right now is entirely too large, so I have been really good lately about staying away from purchasing anything new.

Edited by Pixie