Books For My Parents

Rambling background: My parents have never been into books, but suddenly something has changed and they are showing a bit of interest in reading.

I recently bought my Mum a book based on her favourite radio serial and she loved it. Now she's reading an autobiography of a footballer. My Dad has read and enjoyed a biography of a famous Australian bushranger.

Now I'm after other suggestions for them. I have to tread very, very carefully, because I'm afraid that if I give them just one book that they don't like then I'll put them off for good. :(

My Mum tried to read Harry Potter once but was getting muddled with all the characters. Although she was trying to read this on a flight and she hates flying, so her level of concentration may not have been at it's best. So something that's not overwhelmed with characters and is not too difficult a read. I'm thinking of lending her my Janet Evanvich and Alexander McCall Smith books. Other suggestions along those lines would be appreciated. I was also thinking of John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. I'm not sure that she would go for fantasy, sci-fi or horror.

For my Dad, I have no idea. He likes fishing and appears to be interested in Australian history. I think he would like to read non-fiction more; perhaps some books on war or history. But are there any recommendations for fiction? Maybe he would lean more toward horror or crime.

Hmm, I seem to be coming up with a few solutions myself. It helps to 'think aloud' I guess!

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated. :)

Ooh, good ideas, thank Poppy. I haven't actually read any Nevil Shute yet. blush.gif I did have A Town Like Alice but got rid of it because it was an awful copy. I think I'll track down a copy for my Dad though. I'm pretty sure he has enjoyed the movie version of On the Beach so he might like to read that too.

Maeve Binchy sounds good for my Mum. And that has also reminded me of Colleen McCullough. The Thorn Birds is very long and I was planning on shorter books for now, but I might add it to the list for later on.

Thanks heaps Poppy! I'm so excited at the thought that my Mum and Dad might shortly be entering the wonderful world of books. :)

HI Kylie,

might I suggest Pauline McLynn for your mum - http://paulinemclynn.com/site/. She's an Irish writer like Maeve Binchy. and maybe your father would like Andy McNabb, who writes about war (not sure if his books are autobiographical...). An author my father enjoys is Wibur Smith, and my husband has also read a few Greg Iles...

hope this helps :D

The book I've given most often as a gift is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It's such a universal book that readers of all ages and tastes can enjoy it - and they usually do. :)

Ooh, good ideas, thank Poppy. I haven't actually read any Nevil Shute yet. blush.gif I did have A Town Like Alice but got rid of it because it was an awful copy. I think I'll track down a copy for my Dad though. I'm pretty sure he has enjoyed the movie version of On the Beach so he might like to read that too.

Maeve Binchy sounds good for my Mum. And that has also reminded me of Colleen McCullough. The Thorn Birds is very long and I was planning on shorter books for now, but I might add it to the list for later on.

Thanks heaps Poppy! I'm so excited at the thought that my Mum and Dad might shortly be entering the wonderful world of books. :)

Lol Kylie, my memory is dodgy :rolleyes:

Colleen McCullough is an excellent choice too. She's written quite a few other books, not all of them such epic lengths. One I really loved was Angel Puss set in King's Cross, Sydney during the 60's.

Edited by poppy

The book I've given most often as a gift is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It's such a universal book that readers of all ages and tastes can enjoy it - and they usually do. :)

As one of my favourite books, I can't believe I didn't think of that one myself! rolleyes.gif Thanks Kell.

Lol Kylie, my memory is dodgy :rolleyes:

Colleen McCullough is an excellent choice too. She's written quite a few other books, not all of them such epic lengths. One I really loved was Angel Puss set in King's Cross, Sydney during the 60's.

Angel Puss sounds great. The thing Mum likes about her current read is that it's talking about the inner suburbs of Sydney, which is where she grew up. I hasten to add that she didn't hang out in King's Cross though (Sydney's red-light district huh.gif).

I might also think of recommending Harp in the South by Ruth Park. Did you hear that Ruth died a few days ago Poppy? :( We studied a couple of her books in school.

Angel Puss sounds great. The thing Mum likes about her current read is that it's talking about the inner suburbs of Sydney, which is where she grew up. I hasten to add that she didn't hang out in King's Cross though (Sydney's red-light district huh.gif).

We went through King's Cross when we were in Sydney, but it was during the day and it looked very tame :cool:

I might also think of recommending Harp in the South by Ruth Park. Did you hear that Ruth died a few days ago Poppy? :( We studied a couple of her books in school.

No I hadn't heard that Kylie. Just looked it up .....she was a good age, 93 years old. I don't recall reading any of her novels but I have read her autobiography Fishing In the Styx which was very interesting.

Sorry I don't really have any suggestions Kylie. Although if your Dad is into Australian history I would try a bit of Bryce Courtenay. But I'm so interested that your parents aren't big readers but you are Kylie. I thought the virus was spread by vertical transmission !

What do you think made you such a keen reader?

Maybe your dad would enjoy some Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men and The Road are both great).

A lot of women I know who say they aren't really big 'readers' seem to enjoy Nora Roberts or Danielle Steele. The main thing with those authors is that they tend write by a certain formula, but the people who enjoy their work seek that because they tend to find that one little 'niche' that gets them reading- so they devour all their stuff. Maybe a writer like that would be good for your mum because if she does enjoy it then she'll have a huge library of that one particular author to pick through, if that makes sense.

Edited by CaliLily

Sorry I don't really have any suggestions Kylie. Although if your Dad is into Australian history I would try a bit of Bryce Courtenay. But I'm so interested that your parents aren't big readers but you are Kylie. I thought the virus was spread by vertical transmission !

What do you think made you such a keen reader?

I think it's interesting too! Even though my parents were never interested in reading themselves, they certainly encouraged it in my brother and I by buying us loads of books and reading to us as well. I guess we just took it from there. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I can't wait to try some of these authors out on my parents.