Anguished Kindle buyer!

runner

I know there are discussions already on Kindle but I wanted to start a new one as I am hoping to get one for xmas (form the wife [:D] ) From everything I have read the Kindle seems the best ereader around on price, style, ease of use, purchase of ebooks and most important of all easy to read for hours with no eyestrain....is that right? I also like the look of the Sony PRS650 but it is much more expensive £170+ (when you claim back vat) Is the screen larger on the Sony? I visited Waterstones in Bristol today hoping to view the new Sony, they had the previous model on display but could not let me see the new model....as the display brackets had not arrived!! ...ridiculous or what...4 weeks to xmas...not very good for sales. It also seems to me that the procedure of downloading a book via the Sony is much more tedious than the fast wi-fi Kindle, also to charge the Sony you use a usb on the rear of your computer whereas Kindle supply you with a charger, and the Kindle appears much lighter and thinner. Waterstone were able to let me view the iriver ebo5 touch screen....I thought this was poor and heavy.

So in essence is the Kindle the best? is the screen size the same as the Sony? and is it easy to read for hours on end? is it light?

I started this new thread as I did not want my post to get lost amongst the other ereader discussions, and if I decide on a Kindle I really want to order this week as there may be a Kindle Rush!! and they all sell out [:(]

Look forward to replies and recommendations [:)]

Edited by runner

I can't comment about the Sony or other e-readers, other than I didn't like the old style Sony touchscreen ebook when I tried it out in Waterstones last year - screen too shiny, page turning too slow, etc etc. However, I can give you some thoughts on the Kindle, having been using one regularly since the end of September.

Is it easy to read for hours on end? Yes it is: I've read it for 2-3 hours at a time, and not once found it any harder than a book. Screen is superb - there is no feel of a layer of anything between you and the words, lettering is sharp and crisp, and page turning is fast enough for me.

Is it light? That's a matter of personal judgement, but I certainly don't find it any harder to hold than a standard paperback. As a left hander, I really like the fact that page turning is on both sides of the reader, so it can be held one-handed, but unfortunately that isn't so easy when you've got one of the standard Amazon covers. They're nice, protect the Kindle well, give a real feel of reading a book, but the pager turner on the left side is a little bit too far up the side out of reach in the gutter of the cover. However, without the cover on, it's very easy indeed.

I have been using my Kindle fairly regularly since purchase, including taking it on holiday to Venice for a couple of days. I have grown to like it more and more; I no longer notice that I'm reading an ereader rather than a book. I haven't experienced downloading on the Sony, but on the Kindle it's a piece of cake, and I've managed it in all sorts of places, including in the backstreets of Venice when needing an Italian dictionary urgently! (I have the 3G/wireless version, and have definitely appreciated being able to download outside range of a wifi network). I'm fairly certain I will always prefer reading paper books, but the Kindle is proving an excellent compliment to them (e.g. I use it a lot to carry round cheap versions of books where I've only got a hardback), although it's definitely better, as are all ereaders I suspect, for straightforward reading as opposed to looking things up.

Hope that helps. Any more specific questions?

thanks Willoyd that was a great recommendation I think I will be looking to order a Kindle, I love it's integration with Amazon and I do not think this in anyway inhibits my choice of books (ie the fact that I can only order books via Amazon...that's where I get most of my books now anyway)I love the idea of being able to download directly a book so quick and from virtually anywhere and the way the Kindle experience is integrated with your personal Amazon settings.

Edited by runner

It's a bit of a myth that you're limited to Amazon - I've downloaded books from Project Gutenberg for instance. It's true that nobody else does the same DRM books - and there are a lot available on Amazon - but the MOBI format is compatible, and you can get hold of a piece of software that can convert other DRM formats to that.

My husband has the Kindle and he loves it. I am amazed by the screen.

He has the 3G version I like the fact that if theres a world he don't understand there is a dictionary that he can check the one then oh whats that building lets go to the web browser and look it up on wikipedia

its very good I would recommend it to any one.

uncle has a sony and he is trading his in for a kindle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...