Do you read books or authors?

Pixie

American's can read? I thought they just looked at the pictures? :D

*runs and hides from all the yanks on the forum*

I would have to say mid-ocean, there are several authors whose books I have collected and read (Wyndham, Pratchett, Banks, Gayle, Coupland, Murakami etc) but there are also a lot of one-off books I have read that I've enjoyed that haven't prompted me to read more by the same author.

American's can read? I thought they just looked at the pictures? :D

*runs and hides from all the yanks on the forum*

Honey Chile, this here is a lil ole Southern Gal.....don't you be referrin' ta me as a Yank[ee]! :P

Seriously though...

Why does it have to be divided only between Americans and Europeans? There are other continents, other spheres of influence. What about them?

I think people that are at least fairly serious readers are more or less the same the world over, whatever their cultural influence happens to be. A forum friend of mine is from the Far East...he reads both ways. /shrugs/ It's what my mother used to call "the same difference".

Honey Chile, this here is a lil ole Southern Gal.....don't you be referrin' ta me as a Yank[ee]! :P

Is Yankee still used as a derogatory term in the US? I can understand why it would be, but most Aussies would refer to any American as a Yank, but in a purely friendly sort of way. So has the meaning changed over there at all?

There are other continents, other spheres of influence. What about them?

*indignantly* Yeah!

*sings* What about meee? It isn't fair... :(

Is Yankee still used as a derogatory term in the US? I can understand why it would be, but most Aussies would refer to any American as a Yank, but in a purely friendly sort of way. So has the meaning changed over there at all?

:giggle2: Ah was purely tongue-in-cheek. Just couldn't resist the opportunity! :D

Truth is, there are, in some circles, some that still refer to Northerners of a certain mind-set in that fashion. I've been sorely tempted on occasion at the old New York Times American History forum...now defunct. They had a rather narrow minded view of any and all Southerners. There was no convincing them that every Southerner was not a racist. Hah, I felt like telling them to look to themselves, but it would, I'm afraid, have fallen on deaf ears.

And besides, my OH is of the Northern persuasion, and is definitely not a "Yankee"!

Apologies to all for the thread digression. :lurker:

I'll be recommended something by a friend or lent a book and if I like it I actively seek out other books from that title... guess that makes me European.

The other is very much like Nollaig and Donna in the fact that she will pickup books completely at random and then find books by the same author before picking up completely random ones midway through a series.

Australians hold their books upside-down. [/predictable]

We only hold Australian books upside down thank you very much. Clearly we have to read northern hemisphere books right way up (which is upside down to us) because that's the way they were written. We're not silly you know! :P

We only hold Australian books upside down thank you very much. Clearly we have to read northern hemisphere books right way up (which is upside down to us) because that's the way they were written. We're not silly you know! :P

:lol::giggle2:

This really tickled my funny bone for some reason.

Thank you, Kylie. One of the best laughs I have had in awhile. :D

I can't ! Save meeeeeee *glub*

*throws you a life jacket* There you go :giggle2:

I did look at my shelves last night and I have a lot of books by the same authors. So I tend to buy books by authors I know and borrow books based on synopsis and title.

Hahaha you genius.

And thanks Donna!