Book Groups & Reading Circles

Kell

Although we have our regular Reading Circle here on the forum, I know several members here are members of "physical" reading groups & other online reading circles (for instance, Purple Poppy & I are both members of The Posh Club here in Aberdeen, & Inver is part of a an Aberdeen Book Crossing ring that has regular meetings).

I just wondered how many others were involved in groups & circles. How did you find them? Did you start your own or hunt down an existing one? How are things run in your circle? How often do you meet & what kinds of books do you read together? Is there anything unusual about your book group that others might be interested in trying? Also, what is it that you look for from a good reading circle? Anything you'd like to avoid? What experiences, good & bad, have you had with your groups?

All points to ponder - I look forward to hearing your answers...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kell! I have real life "book friends"! I met them when I took 3 months out from my proper job to work on a project at the beginning of this year. My colleagues had started the group a few months earlier so were just getting established. Since then there have been a number of other people join who are external to the organisation.

The group meets on officially a monthly basis, although there is often a 6 week gap between meetings die to "pressures of life"!

We meet in a pub - for the last few months we have moved around different places as our usual haunt changed hands and changed atmosphere.

I love having to read stuff that is often outside of my comfort zone - and meeting people face-to-face gives added motivation to read the books! When I was working with them, it gave us something extra to talk about over a cup of tea ("how are you getting on with it?" etc), and now I'm not working with them it means that I can meet up and get the office gossip too!

We've read a range of things - from Anita Desai's The Red Tent and Lionel Shriver's We Need to talk about Kevin to Stuart: A Life Backwards by A. Masters and this months read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt.

Books are chosen by personal recommendation or from lists of recommended reads (the Library Reading Group sets list, and the Radio 4 Book Club Archive).

Thanks for replying, Sugar. Our Posh Club meets monthly (usually on the last Tuesday of the month) in a pub too (we've tried several places but the one we use now has plenty of comfy chairs & several areas sectioned off that mnakes it fel like we've got our own little space).

We take it in turns for members to nominate two or three books to choose from & take a vote on it - we've had some very interesting choices too. We read We need to Talk About Kevin (like you), My Sister's Keeper, Q&A, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, & Notes on a Scandal to name just a few.

We also occasionally meet up to do something non-book related. There have been several trips including a jazz gig & the Word festival, as well as this festive season, some went to the panto whilst the rest of us all had a lovely meal together.

I agree that meeting up with people in person definitely pushes you to read the books, even if you're not enjoying them as much as you'd hope, but it's certainly broadened my reading horizons & I've discovered several authors I'd like to explore more in the future (even if it takes me a while to get to them again!).

Is there anyone else wsho takes part in a reading circle, whether online or ni person? WHat do you like about it, or is there any aspect you dislike at all?

I there anything in particular that might attract you to a reading circle, KW? Perhaps if it were a genre-based group covering books from a genre you particularly liked?

I've been a member of two live reading groups in the past. The best was the first one I joined as it was small, homely and intimate. The second started off that way but expanded beyond my coping mechanisms. I found both of them through local libraries. Both have been all female members and we read an interesting selection eg:

Snow Falling On Cedars.

Larkrise to Candleford.

Ethan Frome.

Brokeback Mountain.

We Need to Talk about Kevin.

Never Let Me Go.

We rotated around member's homes each month which worked well.

I've also followed newspaper magazine reading group reads and this is the third on-line group I've joined. Without trying to gain favour this is by far the best on-line group. It's all very laid back and friendly with no

heated debate or flaming plus you can pretty much post or read what you like.

I probably favour on-line groups as I'm inherently lazy and more cerebral than verbal so it's pretty effortless to lie on the couch and tap a few computer keys to discuss a storyline.

I must say though, I do like those novels where you get a reading guide

on the back pages.

Hope this is of some interest top you, Kell!

Thanks, Kernow, yes, this is all interesting to me! I also love it when a book has a reading guide, but more & more of them have guides online these days which can help a discussion along. I think I shall have a look & see if there are any for January's reading Circle choice of The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell.

It's interesting to see that quite a few groups end up choosing the same books - for example, We Need to Talk About Kevin cropped up both at the Posh Club & the readnig circle here, as well as your group, Kernow, & yours, Sugar. I wonder how much we're influenced by the media in general when choosing books we think might be appropriate for group discusions? Does anyone have any comment on that? Or has anyone followed a national reading club such as Richard & Judy?

I must admit that I've never joined a reading group mainly due to time constraints. I have thought about joining one but that is as far as it has ever gone. One of my reasons I think, is that I would feel restricted to read that particular book that the group is reading, and this immediately makes me want to rebel!!!

This is the only on-line group I've tried and it suits me perfectly, as I can dip in and out as I feel when discussing any particular book. I prefer to digest, cogitate and analyse within my timeframes.

I do look at what is happening nationally, within groups that others mention and look at the Richard and Judy lists. However, I still read genres according to my mood and to what my heart tells me will be a good read.

I suppose I have a streak in me that doesn't like to conform;)

There now seems to be a whole swathe of books about reading groups, such as The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble or The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler too. In the latter case, the group in question focuses on the works of a single author within the group. Would this kind of thing appeal to anyone else who takes part in a reading circle? Or perhaps a group that read a certain genre, such as the classics, or something like "Great American Writers" or "Foreign authors"? Would that kind of thing appeal to anyone? Or would that be something that,personally, put you off joining a group in the first place?

Perhaps a genre specific group would be interesting. But, I have to tell you, most groups do NOT read romance. They tend to be more literary. Which is fine. I like SOME literary.

Still, a romance group could be light, escapist and fun for a change. (LOL- a change? Hello, I WRITE romance, so it's not much of a departure for me. But it might be for some)

KW

It's funny, really, until there was a discussion on this forum (it's around here somewhere) on the romance genre in general being dissed, I hadn't realised I was so anti-romance myself. Then I got to thinking that it's probably because I've tarred them all with the Mills & Boon stereotype. Many of the books that are firmly entrenched in other genres have strong elements of romance in them, for example, Philiappa Gregory's historical fiction & countless "chick lit" novels. (speaking of which, Chick-lit often seems to get a bit of a bashing too).

Which genres do you think might be best suited to reading circles? Any in particular?

I've also noticed that reading groups seem to tend to be mostly female. Would any of the guys here like to perhaps suggest ideas that might attract them to a reading group? After all, it would be nice to get a balanced point of view from as many angles as possible when discussing books...

If it's romance, it has to be story driven rather than sex driven. That's my beef with romance in general and that's why I don't count myself among romance writers excpet that there is a romance between the hero and heroine. I don't include the bedroom.

How would it be to be "discussing" sexual activity?????!!!!:018:

But there are many deep, wonderful, sweeping romances with minimal/no sex at all, layered enough for a good discussion.

I'd like to see a romance reading circle, sure.

Other genres? Well, you're talking to a YA author here as well, so YA would be one I could participate in.

And some lit that doesn't take itself too seriously.

KW

• 10 months later...

I know there's a Kent Book Crossing group on Yahoo , but you might be best off checking out your local library and community centre to see if there's any information there on local book groups. If not, you might consider setting up your own local reading circle by advertising in your local library and community centre for like-minded folks.

ETA: I tell a lie! I just found a bit on Kent Council's website about book groups HERE. I hope there's something there for you! :censored:

• 3 months later...

I have been participating in a reading group for the last 3 years.

We meet once a month in a member's home, and one of us presents a book he has read and that the others don't necessarily know. The main point we always focus on is "Why is this book considered literature?". What I love about this kind of organization is that people who have never read the book allow you find out a lot of things you have never thought about while reading the book. You consider it from some brand new perspectives and might find out that it has man more layers of meaning than what you thought before presenting it to the club - well, this happens if it's good literature of course :lol:.

We have recently found a new one, with female participants only, where we have made the rules a bit more flexible. Sometimes we choose one book we all read, other times one reads the book while others watch a related movie, or we even choose one author and each one of us chooses one of his/her book to read. I haven't experimented this last solution yet, I'll tell you at the end of this month :lol:

• 4 months later...

I am thinking about joining my local reading group at the library. I have never been to one before, and was wondering whether anyone here is/has been a member of a group and if they enjoyed it.

I am a bit worried I won't have anything to contribute!

Hi Nellie,

I have been a member of two different reading groups due to moving around the country with work. I loved one & really looked forward to it. The other I felt uncomfortable in so only stayed for 6 months.

I think it is important you find out about the groups first as they can be very different. Make sure they read the kind of stuff you enjoy reading etc. The one I enjoyed did mostly modern fiction but also some good classics. However some groups also will nominate biographies/non-fiction as the book of choice. I think most groups will run some form of nomination and voting system for the book choices. Both groups I was a member of met monthly.

I will join one again as soon as I know where my next (and hopefully last) move will be to!!

Good luck,

Heather :friends0: