An Open Vein - JM Warwick

Michelle

Imagine being locked in a room alone. You have no food, and the only water to drink comes from a nearby tap. You’ve been told this will help you to bond and you believe it, because your father has told you this. He’s a doctor.

You find out everything you once thought was real and true, is a lie.

I will say from the outset that I think this book is rather outstanding. It's dark and powerful, keeps you reading, and stays with you long after you put it down.

The story starts with John, a rather intelligent, yet protected sixteen year old, going to stay with his 'uncle' in New York for the summer. Kane is a close family friend, who John has looked up to all his life.

First Kane informs John that he is in fact his father, then he tells him that there have been threats against him, and he must stay in the apartment. From here, things spiral out of control, and take a very dark turn.

The author takes us through the confusion and fear that the teenage John is feeling, and slowly unwraps the true Kane - she makes you feel that you're there with John, experiencing all that he does.

I was also impressed with the ending.. instead of the 'Hollywood ending' that would have been so easy, the darkness and confusion continues.

An impressive book, leaving me wanting more.

http://www.anopenvein.com/

WOW!!!!!! Thank you so much Michelle -- you caught the essence and layers of this book, I can tell. Nothing is more pleasing to a writer than this.

I loved writing that book because it was such a departure and in so many ways a creative challenge. I'm glad you understood and "got" it.

Now, if I can get up the nerve to give it to my agent...lol.

KW

• 2 weeks later...

Well of course I'm grateful Kell wants to purchase a copy of the book. I am trying to support my endeavors as much as possible w/o dipping into dh's pocket over and over, lol.

I'm always fascinated with how different people see this book and the end in particular. I love the end -- the ambiguity of it. And I wanted the reader to purposefully wonder what was going to happen once John went inside again?

KW

I've just finished sorting out my order & am now dying to get my hands on this! Not only have I heard good reports from folks on here, but I liked the sound of the synopsis anyway AND there's the added bonus of being able to say "I know the author - she's on the same forum as me" when people ask! ;):roll:

Have you ordered direct, Kell?
Yes, I ordered direct through KW's site - dead quick & easy, so i'll be looking forward to getting hold of it - it's going to be pretty near the top of Mount To-Be-Read by the looks of things!

Hello,

I have just finished reading a part of 'An open vein', I read it more than once to be honest.

'An open vein' is a extremely well written and thought out story, I was hooked instantly, I could practically feel the isolation of John. I am looking forward to reading the full version of the novel.

:roll: