Physics anyone?!

Michelle

Beth has been doing some transitional work for Grammar, and we're stuck on one little tiny bit. It's basically an introduction to forces, and we've identified various ones.

However, it then asks her to write a poem or short story of what out life would be like with no forces. (Not one particular one, such as gravity, but all of them.) Surely we'd be able to do absolutely nothing in that situation?? I appreciate things such as no deceleration with air friction, but how do you get going in the first place without any push or pull?

Can anyone give us any ideas?! biggrin.gif

How about something where the mind, regardless of time and space, is what is most important. Use things/animals such as dolphins and other aquatic life who are essentially free from gravity, or rocks in their solitude, unable to move themselves... but who says they don't 'think' and love?

Well, gravity creates a lot of the other forces. Without it there's no friction, no weight, no way of surviving. Our bodies are systems of atoms dependant on gravitational systems, without them we'd come apart. Most things would come apart. I'm pretty sure without forces everything would just be a pile of subatomic particles.

My favourite idea though is lack of friction, if you could suddenly made the world completely smooth, and you jumped and skidded onto it, you'd keep going forever.

Wahey!

To be honest, I don't know. The assigment is kind of moot. If I was a kid with guts I'd just write, 'all life would be impossible and organisation cease to exist above a sub-atomic level.'

I really don't know.

It's very weird to be honest. It wouldn't make sense at ANY level, life would still cease to exist. And personally, I'd be inclined to keep radical imagination to art class, not science class.

What I might do if I were her is this - she's supposed to write about the absence of all forces, right? Well, she could do them one by one, gradually erasing their effects until there's nothing left. 'What if there were no friction. Everything would move for infinity. Continents would slide infinitely all over the place, nobody could stay still, nothing could control it's movements. The only thing holding everything to the ground would be gravity. Without gravity, we would all float, but in what? Because without gravity, there's no atmosphere' etc etc.

Now I'm rubbish with kids. I might be talking about stuff way beyond an 11 year old's science learning. But maybe that kind of idea, employing what she's learned? Strip it all back until there's nothing. Personally I'd still stick with the absence of life at the end of it, because that's scientific fact.