My boa as a baby (Neonate)...

225419_2043739258363_4770179_n.jpg

Getting bigger..

IMG_3288.jpg

She's probably a bit over 5ft now but I don't have any recent pictures

Some Viperines (Natrix Maura)

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

It won't let me post all of my photos, that's a shame.. I'll have to keep adding them to this thread gradually :/

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She's beautiful Nick, I love snakes but my Mum is terrified and would refuse to visit if I had one, I'm not sure what the dogs would think either! :). Does she have a name?

I have a dog and have dogs to stay. They don't tend to pay any attention to them, cats on the other hand will sit and watch them which can be a bit of a pain. She doesn't have a name, I have and have had lots of snakes and I just gave up giving them names. Here are some more...

Infact I do lie, this is my only named snake. Casper.

531065_4838390082887_401509384_n.jpg

and this is one of my favourite snakes. A Desert Kingsnake I own.

155578_4838394242991_7509770_n.jpg

Oh, I'd have to name them all! We have a cat too but it's my Mum that's the sticking point! :D

Maybe your Mum needs a bit of house-training... :giggle: Only joking! I'm terrified of snakes too, I can imagine your getting one would stop her coming over. And I don't even want to think about your dogs having to socialize with a snakey-pakey... :blush:

Oh, I'd have to name them all! We have a cat too but it's my Mum that's the sticking point! :D

Hehehe, a lot of people have this problem!I post on a reptile forum too and you quite often get people posting with the mum dilemma hahaha

Maybe your Mum needs a bit of house-training... :giggle: Only joking! I'm terrified of snakes too, I can imagine your getting one would stop her coming over. And I don't even want to think about your dogs having to socialize with a snakey-pakey... :blush:

The dogs are more of a risk to the snakes than the other way around, the only time this might reverse is with the venomous snakes (you have to be licensed to own in this country) or the giant snakes. Burmese Pythons, Reticulated Pythons, Green or Yellow Anacondas, Indian or African rock pythons and perhaps large boa constrictors if it was a smaller breed dog. Lots of snake owners have dogs though, and it's quite hard to lose a 13 - 19ft snake if you do keep the giants!So you don't have many escapes. I personally prefer the smaller species though, with my boa being the largest I keep. My snakes range from under 2ft - 5.5ft.

Here are a pair of Leopard Ratsnakes I used to own. In my opinion they are one of the most beautiful snakes on the planet. A bit of a pain to keep though.

IMG_3345.jpg

My more conventional pet and best friend, Chester.

311441_2431046980814_1847713833_n.jpg

and to show you a giant snake. This snake isn't mine, photo was taken at Paignton Zoo. The snake is roughly 14-15ft, an African Rock Python and a bit of a chubby one too!

IMG_1900.jpg

Edited by NickB

Here are a pair of Leopard Ratsnakes I used to own. In my opinion they are one of the most beautiful snakes on the planet. A bit of a pain to keep though.

Just out of curiosity, why is keeping a Leopard Ratsnake a pain? What's the difference?

311441_2431046980814_1847713833_n.jpg

Awwwww, Chester is a real darling! :smile2:

Wordsgood - All I can say is wow! Had me chuckling into my coffee this morning. Have you ever tried your hand at writing? :)

Nick - My son loves snakes. I can admire how beautiful some of them are - but cannot really feel I want to cuddle them :) They are really beautiful though.

Just out of curiosity, why is keeping a Leopard Ratsnake a pain? What's the difference?

Awwwww, Chester is a real darling! :smile2:

Well, some species of snake are prone to going off food in captivity. In this country we always try to feed snakes on pre-killed defrosted rodents. Leopard Ratsnakes are a species that are prone to going off food for some time, for the most part it doesn't do them any harm. Some snakes can go over a year without losing much condition. However it is of course a little worrying. When I was keeping mine, my female was a great feeder but the male did have one spell of refusing to feed. Although I found a trick to get him to feed (which is often the way, you have to find what makes the individual's feeding response trigger) which for this individual was sticking him in a dark box with a mouse (dead) and taking him for a drive. People think this activates the gut flora when a snake hasn't eaten in a while due to the vibrations, I don't know but it works!

They're also quite a shy species, which isn't a pain lots of shy species are very popular. It's just a little boring, I like active snakes which you see exploring etc. regularly.

Perhaps the thread tite can encompass the contents - Pets (including piccies of snakes). :smile:

They are gorgeous Nick, athough the last photo from Paignton Zoo made me think of Harry Potter! :giggle2:

Hehehe Nagini in the films was a reticulated python, I haven't read the books though.

Wordsgood - All I can say is wow! Had me chuckling into my coffee this morning. Have you ever tried your hand at writing? :)

Nick - My son loves snakes. I can admire how beautiful some of them are - but cannot really feel I want to cuddle them :) They are really beautiful though.

Hahaha no, they're not cuddly animals!

Edited by NickB

Jasper has recently taken to meowing non-stop for ages after dinnertime. I'm sure it's not food-related, but it's driving me absolutely nuts. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Could it be boredom? He's an indoor cat and sleeps nearly all day - he pretty much wakes up at dinnertime and then whines after he has eaten.

Jasper has recently taken to meowing non-stop for ages after dinnertime. I'm sure it's not food-related, but it's driving me absolutely nuts. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Could it be boredom? He's an indoor cat and sleeps nearly all day - he pretty much wakes up at dinnertime and then whines after he has eaten.

Despite being a cat owner I'm certainly no expert and I'm very lucky that Candy is very good at amusing herself, which can sometimes be painful for us! :D. But have you tried the food toys/balls? You fill them with dry food and the cat has to figure out how to get it out, it can take a while.. :)

He he. Thanks Maureen! Never seriously because I'm really not that good, but when talking about my furries I do tend to wax poetic. :giggle2:

Kylie, boredom could be the issue. Then again he could just like the sound of his own voice. Both of mine do. :D A caution though, try keeping a record for a couple weeks to see if only happens after eating, if that's possible.

If it is positively the only time it happens, it could be that Jasper does have tummy issues and may need to see his doctor. A friend of mine had a cat who basically had the feline equivalent of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) so even though he was hungry, it hurt after eating, so he eventually stared refusing food. I can't recall what was done, but he was successfully treated and was fine. Wasn't anything drastic like surgery, but may have involved medications and/or special food. Sorry, was a several years ago.

Despite being a cat owner I'm certainly no expert and I'm very lucky that Candy is very good at amusing herself, which can sometimes be painful for us! :D. But have you tried the food toys/balls? You fill them with dry food and the cat has to figure out how to get it out, it can take a while.. :)

I have thought about getting him something like that for a while. :) Thanks. I'll try it.

f it is positively the only time it happens, it could be that Jasper does have tummy issues and may need to see his doctor. A friend of mine had a cat who basically had the feline equivalent of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) so even though he was hungry, it hurt after eating, so he eventually stared refusing food. I can't recall what was done, but he was successfully treated and was fine.

Aw, I hope that's not it. I've been getting cranky at him and have locked him in the bathroom a couple of times until he stopped, so I would feel awful if it was because he was trying to tell me that he's sick. :(

I have thought about getting him something like that for a while. :) Thanks. I'll try it.

Aw, I hope that's not it. I've been getting cranky at him and have locked him in the bathroom a couple of times until he stopped, so I would feel awful if it was because he was trying to tell me that he's sick. :(

Slow down, I'm not trying to panic you, I just want you to consider all the options, that's all. How many times a day do you feed Jasper, or is he on a free feed system - as in is his food out so he can eat any time he wants to? Boredom or just the sound of his voice could very well be the problem, but the only way to know for sure if there really is a problem, is monitor both when he eats, what he eats, and specifically when he starts chattering. And I suggest to also try to tracking for at least a week how long after feeding that the yapping stops.

Also, does his meowing after eating seem different from other times you've heard him talking in the past, aside from going happening for hours on end? I mean in terms of tone, pitch, and meows versus long drawn out yowls.

Refresh my memory, how old is Jasper? I seem to recall you saying he was quite young? Like around the feline equivalent to human teen years - anywhere between about 6 months and 3 years? Actually 2 to 2.5 years is the average age for cats to reach full maturity, but some do take a little bit longer, at least mentally and emotionally speaking. I ask because another possibility - IF he's still a young fellow, he could still be going through kitty adolescence. And if so, it could be something as simple as that having "discovered" this wonderful new ability to wail his lungs out, he's just going through a phase practicing his new found talent.

And well, some cats are just naturally chatty! I've had two now that liked to tell me about every moment of every day. One is still with me and fortunately, both have (and had) really soft, cute meows. Oh, there's a thought, have you trying "talking with him?" Absurd as that sounds, the now deceased chatty one liked to have conversations with us. He'd follow us all over the house chattering away, then waited for a response, we'd give one (didn't really matter what we said, just how we said it), then he's respond and we had a two way "conversation" with him for several minutes a few times a day his entire life. Have no clue what we were actually talking about, but it seemed to make him happy. Sometimes, just for fun, we'd try to meow back at him but occasionally that sometimes backfired as apparently we'd said something insulting in cat because he'd clam up instantly, squish his face up with that "I'm weeed with you now" look and storm away. :rolleyes:

Dogs often do the same thing during their adolescence. After "discovering" they can growl and will spend hours a day "practicing" - same thing happens can often happen after they "discover" they can howl too! I've had both cats and dogs who "practice" such newly realized skills for annoyingly long periods of time. It does stop being cute after the first few times, but like all kids, they just gotta learn and express themselves! :giggle2:

Resist..the urge...to staple...tape...or sew...his mouth...together. I know how tempting that can be, believe me, I truly do! Remember, I'm the one with the verbally demanding elderly cat who just happens to have that full-on Siamese screech that sounds worse than nails on a chalkboard!

Still, all humour aside, Jasper could be trying to tell you something so I always advise erring on the side of caution. Hence my advice for close monitoring, and if you get really worried, it might be worth a trip to the doctor just to put your mind at ease if there's any way you can swing it.

Please let us know how it goes!

Bobblybear: He's handsome, cute, adorable, cuddle-worthy (and the list goes on and on) ... :D I'd come and play with him!

He is gorgeous and I love him more and more each day. He's just so sweet-natured and adores everyone. He's always wagging his tail and is such a happy puppy.

Dogs often do the same thing during their adolescence. After "discovering" they can growl and will spend hours a day "practicing" - same thing happens can often happen after they "discover" they can howl too! I've had both cats and dogs who "practice" such newly realized skills for annoyingly long periods of time. It does stop being cute after the first few times, but like all kids, they just gotta learn and express themselves! :giggle2:

Reuben is quite vocal, which at first worried us. We were wondering if something was wrong with him or if he was in pain or something, but like you say I think it's his way of expressing himself and also getting attention. He used to sit in front of me and do this shaky little whine over and over; he's stopped doing it as much now which is good, as it can get a bit irritating. :giggle2: Our previous dog wasn't very vocal and was quite settled, whereas Reuben is high-energy, demanding and vocal. He's the polar opposite of Max so it's a bit of a shock to the system. :giggle:

The differences between generations are quite funny aren't they? Keiko is my 4th large breed dog and has one habit I didn't realize large dogs pick up as a regular thing.......she whines, alot!

Okay, it's less noisy than barking, but really? You are not a purse dog, you wimp, suck it up and act your size! There are no bogeymen out there in the dark when you're trying to pee, we did not sneak out a secret exit and abandon you when we walked into a different room, and you are bigger, much bigger, than that ancient 7.5 cat you let boss you around. No, you're not allowed to bite her, but you could occasionally show her a couple teeth just to give her a hint. I'm just saying......

• 2 weeks later...

I'm writing this post with the help of my girlfrend :smile:

toby_hsh.jpg

He is Toby. He is a nice, big, lovely, lazy cat.

He loves: eating, sleeping, scratching the sofa, biting our feet while we are asleep, waking up with his hairy paws his servant (my girlfrend) at 5 a.m. to eat and play.

As you can notice from the pic, he likes hiding everywhere :D

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more photos of Reuben. He's now 11 months old; where has the time gone?

He's a bit muddy in the first pic, he's been chasing his ball through muddy fields!

post-7534-0-02214400-1356192718_thumb.jpgpost-7534-0-31250500-1356192729_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobblybear

Well, some species of snake are prone to going off food in captivity. In this country we always try to feed snakes on pre-killed defrosted rodents. Leopard Ratsnakes are a species that are prone to going off food for some time, for the most part it doesn't do them any harm. Some snakes can go over a year without losing much condition. However it is of course a little worrying. When I was keeping mine, my female was a great feeder but the male did have one spell of refusing to feed. Although I found a trick to get him to feed (which is often the way, you have to find what makes the individual's feeding response trigger) which for this individual was sticking him in a dark box with a mouse (dead) and taking him for a drive. People think this activates the gut flora when a snake hasn't eaten in a while due to the vibrations, I don't know but it works!

They're also quite a shy species, which isn't a pain lots of shy species are very popular. It's just a little boring, I like active snakes which you see exploring etc. regularly.

That was really interesting to read through, thanks Nick! :) I don't know much about snakes so now I've been enlightened a bit. That's such a weird thing about the feeding thing on a drive, though. Well, as long as it works, aye? :D

He is gorgeous and I love him more and more each day. He's just so sweet-natured and adores everyone. He's always wagging his tail and is such a happy puppy.

Well he certainly looks the part in the pictures. I'm really envious actually, I'd love to have a dog like Reuben! :blush: He is so cute!

So sad.. Red Dog has died.. :(

Awwww, rip Koko :( :(

• 3 weeks later...

We've got two dogs, two goats and 34 chicken (recently gotten some new ones). I may post some pictures later, I'm currently on my laptop which doesn't have any photos on it.

Our dogs are Pamuk (a she) and Boris (a he). Pamuk is a few years old and came from Turkey, where as a puppy she was thrown out as garbage. She has had a troubled puppyhood but landed on her four feet in our house and has a lot of fun here. She's half Akbash half Labrador. Boris is now 8 months old and is a Komondor. He's very big and is still growing. The two of them like to play together and dig holes etc.

We have two goats, we used to have three but one of them passed away. They are called William and Lise.

We have 5 cockrels and 29 hens (not all in the same area). They are of various breeds, some of them are "zijdehoenders" (I don't know what this breed is called in English), some of them are white chicken who are bred for being in a massive chicken farm, some of them are black and white (I don't recall the name atm).

(I live with my parents, we live in a farm so we have some space for these animals)