Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

Oh look at Reuben .. how sweet, he's so full of character. I like pic 3 the best :)

I have that pic on my desktop at work, and it makes me chuckle everytime I see it. :giggle:

Oh my dear, Reuben is soooo adorable! Such hilarious pictures. It shows that he loves life :smile2:

He does, he's such a sweet natured dog, always happy to see anyone and everyone.

Reuben is growing into such a handsome boy, is he still a good boy? Looks like butter wouldn't melt, but I know Labs, that's often a front for food stealing and shoe chewing.. :D

He's pretty well behaved even though at this age I think he should be going through is teenage rebellion or something? He loves to chew things and has pretty much destroyed all toys we've bought for him. :doh: But we recently bought him a deer antler (Stagbar), and he's going strong on that one. His recall is very good (which is the most important 'command' I think) even with distractions around - he always seems to be more interested in us and chasing his ball, than other dogs or people. He's very submissive around other dogs though, and often when they meet him, he gets 'bullied' a little (not actually bitten, but growled at and dominated :7_mad: ). I do get nervous when other dogs approach - that he will get hurt - and he can maybe pick up on that. Don't know how to get out of that mind-set though, and from talking to people at work (who are all dog-mad), they have the same feelings when they are out with their dogs.

Reuben is adorable! :)

Thanks, emelee. :smile:

OMG, Bobblybear, how did you get in my house to take pics of my dog?!!! Right down to the tongue hanging out the side of the mouth! :giggle2:

Yeah, we were trying to get him to do the head-tilt, and got some very funny poses instead. :giggle:

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:giggle2: That's funny!

I hope your dad isn't too fond of plastic objects then! :)

So far, Neo has only ruined one slipper. A pair I got for free with a magazine once. And my internet cable when he was very small. Other than that, he's not ruined anything major. He prefers chewing on people, his toys and bones instead.

Thought you'd enjoy that! :giggle: And old he might be (pushing 77 next week), but he eats like a horse. Not that you'd know it because he never gains a single pound and never has. Don't think he likes plastic, but with the amount he can cram in his face, I do wonder sometimes... :giggle2:

[/font]

He does, he's such a sweet natured dog, always happy to see anyone and everyone.

He's pretty well behaved even though at this age I think he should be going through is teenage rebellion or something? He loves to chew things and has pretty much destroyed all toys we've bought for him. :doh: But we recently bought him a deer antler (Stagbar), and he's going strong on that one. His recall is very good (which is the most important 'command' I think) even with distractions around - he always seems to be more interested in us and chasing his ball, than other dogs or people. He's very submissive around other dogs though, and often when they meet him, he gets 'bullied' a little (not actually bitten, but growled at and dominated :7_mad: ). I do get nervous when other dogs approach - that he will get hurt - and he can maybe pick up on that. Don't know how to get out of that mind-set though, and from talking to people at work (who are all dog-mad), they have the same feelings when they are out with their dogs.

Yeah, we were trying to get him to do the head-tilt, and got some very funny poses instead. :giggle:

Emelee and Bobblybear: Some people, not most mind you, but some people do get lucky when it comes to teething puppies. In that they don't always leave a trail of destruction behind them I mean. Keeping them very busy and providing tons of yummy chew toys helps a lot, of course, but some, like my current and previous lab, weren't happy until they had chewed through everything that could even remotely fit in their yaps!

Bobblybear, yup yours is at the "teenage rebellion" age, but keep in mind that it can last for a few years, so you may or may not be nearing the end of this phase in his life. Plus I've been told by a number of vets over the years that labs "grow-up" as far as they are going to in terms of mental maturity, at around age two, or age 5. And sure enough, my first lab was about 2, and this one was about 5 - after she started showing some grey around the muzzle! Personality wise though, I don't think any of the retriever breeds ever completely grow up. That's what makes them so lovable!

As for being nervous around other dogs, I do agree that they need to be socialized very young, but have also had instances where irresponsible dog owners have their dogs off-leash where they shouldn't be and have come after my dogs. My best advice is that for dogs you want yours to meet, talk to the owner first - tell them yours is a nervous nellie just as a way to start the conversation - have them introduce you to their dog and go be your gut feeling if you think it wise to proceed with letting the dogs themselves meet. If anything seems at all off and you don't want them to meet, then make an excuse and move on. If you do allow them to meet and the other dog starts to get aggressive, pull yours away, smile, say "sorry, it looks like he's not quite ready yet" and get away.

Thanks for the advice, Wordsgood. Jasper seems to have come good without me really changing anything. He is back to being his naughty but adorable self. Phew! :) Does your cat throw up anywhere and everywhere? I wish Jasper would use the bathroom, but of course there's no telling him that; he just does it on the carpet, which is rather disgusting. The last time he started making sounds like he going to throw up, I jumped up, grabbed a plate and followed him around, shoving it under his chin, which didn't seem to impress him much. :)

Emelee and Bobblybear: Some people, not most mind you, but some people do get lucky when it comes to teething puppies. In that they don't always leave a trail of destruction behind them I mean. Keeping them very busy and providing tons of yummy chew toys helps a lot, of course, but some, like my current and previous lab, weren't happy until they had chewed through everything that could even remotely fit in their yaps!

Ours got through the teething stage without too much destruction (aside from toys). The only thing he wrecked was the corner of our wooden coffee table. Oh, and countless slippers and socks, but that's ok. :D

As for being nervous around other dogs, I do agree that they need to be socialized very young, but have also had instances where irresponsible dog owners have their dogs off-leash where they shouldn't be and have come after my dogs.

This happened again today - completely the other owners fault. A very large German Shepherd cross that was off the lead came after Reuben and had a couple of little nips. :censored: We were shouting and trying to shoo the dog off, while the stupid owner was saying 'Oh, he only wants to play', and just couldn't call her dog off. This is the second time it's happened with that dog. She later tied him up and we could hear him going off at any other dog that walked past. :censored: It makes me so angry! She didn't even apologise, and maybe I overreacted but it shook me up a bit. I've been googling what to do in a dog on dog attack, and it's making me more edgy.

Reuben is quite nervous on the lead around other dogs (he starts jumping and pulling and leaping about, almost trying to get away from them - never good when we are on the pavement alongside a road), but off the lead (in the local park) he's absolutely fine. Today he got to within about 6 feet of another dog (that was on the lead), and as soon as we called him he ignored it and came running back to us. He always ignores other dogs; it seems to be them that approach him (which is fine if they are friendly, but scary when they are not).

Edited by bobblybear

Thanks for the advice, Wordsgood. Jasper seems to have come good without me really changing anything. He is back to being his naughty but adorable self. Phew! :) Does your cat throw up anywhere and everywhere? I wish Jasper would use the bathroom, but of course there's no telling him that; he just does it on the carpet, which is rather disgusting. The last time he started making sounds like he going to throw up, I jumped up, grabbed a plate and followed him around, shoving it under his chin, which didn't seem to impress him much. :)

You're welcome! Glad to hear Jasper is feeling better.

Yup, when mine feels the "urge" it doesn't seem to matter where he is, he just let's it rip. Even tried it on my bed the other day and I only had time to push him off. I know what you mean never hitting non-carpeted areas. I've seen mine actually dash from the bathroom or kitchen floors so he can land on the carpet. I've tried the whole following him with a dish and trying to quickly stuff it under the chin in time...amazing how they can hold it back and give you filthy looks all at the same time. :giggle:

This happened again today - completely the other owners fault. A very large German Shepherd cross that was off the lead came after Reuben and had a couple of little nips. :censored: We were shouting and trying to shoo the dog off, while the stupid owner was saying 'Oh, he only wants to play', and just couldn't call her dog off. This is the second time it's happened with that dog. She later tied him up and we could hear him going off at any other dog that walked past. :censored: It makes me so angry! She didn't even apologise, and maybe I overreacted but it shook me up a bit. I've been googling what to do in a dog on dog attack, and it's making me more edgy.

Reuben is quite nervous on the lead around other dogs (he starts jumping and pulling and leaping about, almost trying to get away from them - never good when we are on the pavement alongside a road), but off the lead (in the local park) he's absolutely fine. Today he got to within about 6 feet of another dog (that was on the lead), and as soon as we called him he ignored it and came running back to us. He always ignores other dogs; it seems to be them that approach him (which is fine if they are friendly, but scary when they are not).

No, I don't think you're over-reacting at all. Sounds like the owner is more poorly trained than her dog.T

he exact same thing happened with both my labs. Twice with the first one and one with the current one. All three times it was German Shepherds. Personally love the breed, but maybe it's something about those who have them? The worst occasion with my previous lab. We were at a park for her first outing after major surgery and we saw both the Shepard and the owner as he slipped the leash off when they arrived. I went so far as to go up the owner, explain that ours has just had major surgery and was nervous around other large dogs having been mostly around little ones all her life. "Oh, not to worry he's quite friendly and well mannered," he tells me. "Yes, but this is not an off-leash park and I can clearly see that he has not been neutered." Before either of us can say another word and before my husband, who was sitting with her and had hold of her leash, his dog bolted over and mounted her! :banghead: All three of us put an end to matters but fast before it went any further. But man, was I ticked off! Poor Katie was scared silly and just wanted to bolt for the car. Grrr. And this after she'd been attacked by two Shepherds a few years earlier in yet another off leash park. Actually attacked in that case, though thankfully had only minor bite wounds.

I actually had a Shepard many, many years ago and know from experience that they are a very sweet and loving breed. But they are also large, muscular and exuberant. Being a responsible owner is essential in all cases, but if you have a large breed and take them anywhere outside your own fenced yard, it's crucial. I mean look, we all know labs are sweet, cuddly wimps that would befriend a stick, but even so they are large with big teeth and lots of muscle power. Ergo, we don't allow them to run free and just bound up to other animals and people!

Irresponsible owners are, pardon the pun, a huge pet peeve of mine! :7_mad:

Update on Keiko:

I've had to put of dog's surgery for another few weeks. I'm the only one available to care for her and she will need constant supervision for at least the first two weeks so I can't just leave her at home without a human. After months of waiting to get some testing and appointments for myself about an issue I had earlier this year, they are calling me now, but not with any definite dates for half of them. I'm just being told to be ready to go as soon as slot opens up. They are hoping it's in the next week or two, and I'm grateful to finally be getting the appointments (and hopefully some answers,) but the timing sucks! :blush2: Can't just tell them to wait either or it'll be several more months - or even up to year since my case was technically *rushed* through system (so if were dumb enough to refuse when offered...) before any more openings came up.

This is kind of worrying me because I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. What I mean is I want the surgery down now, asap, because everytime I've had to prioritize big, expensive things for one of the furry kids but delay for any length of time, it seems like either the car or one of the other pets comes down with a very costly emergency! That's how the dog's surgery got delayed by over a year to start with. Cat went in for simple ear infection, comes out with emergency dental surgery. Then hubby lost job a month later right around the New Year, then a very rough couple of months later, gets another one only to need emergency surgery himself two weeks after starting! Thankfully the employer was very understanding, but losing so much income for so long meant that it took far longer than planned to pay of cat's teeth. Someone or something in my household seems to always try to preempt the others by breaking themselves or getting sick first. Myself included. It's like we're all in some kind of twisted race to see who can become the most broken, down, costly and physically miserable, first. Worse, we often do it in groups, like it's some kind of demented family bonding ritual.

For example the issue I mentioned having earlier this year? That was me going falling down a flight of stairs, throwing my back out in the process, then suddenly going half blind a few days later. I was in that state for six weeks, while hubby was in and out of the emergency room and had two emergency surgeries. See where I'm getting with all this? I'm started to feel cursed 'cause the year before was even worse! :o It's like my life is one big, very bad country song! :blink: And I love country music! :giggle2:

And yes, before one you makes a witty crack :blink:, I realize the car is an inanimate object, but it (and all of it's predecessors) always seems to be in this twisted and stupid race to the bottom! :doh:

So like I said, I want her in NOW, before the other shoe drops! Must think positive. :blush2: Must. Think. Positive. Must...... ;):giggle: .

I have a labrador called Chester, two cats, seven snakes currently. I did have 11 snakes until I recently downsized.

Um...By that I hope by that you don't mean the cats downsized for you?

Aside from that, welcome aboard fellow animal slave...er, lover I mean. Yes, that's what I meant. :giggle2:

Um...By that I hope by that you don't mean the cats downsized for you?

Aside from that, welcome aboard fellow animal slave...er, lover I mean. Yes, that's what I meant. :giggle2:

Lol, no although I'm sure they would love to. As would my boa constrictor love to downsize my number of cats!Hehehe.

Wow, Maureen! Stormy is almost impossibly cute. The photo is great - it looks like one of those pics that would go viral with a cute caption. The pic alone is enough to make me giggle. What type of kitty is she (is it a she)? The name is perfect too - the colouring totally reminds me of stormy skies. :D

I am smitten. :wub: I had to stop typing half a dozen times so I could scroll back up and gaze some more.

Welcome to the BCF Cat Family, Storm! :kiss:

Chrissy, will give him a hug for you :) Kylie, it is a great pic isn't it? I look at him and smile. He is a persian, he is now eight weeks old, and we got him Friday. Whiskey was not too happy initially, but he seems to be grudgingly accepting him now :)

Chrissy, will give him a hug for you :) Kylie, it is a great pic isn't it? I look at him and smile. He is a persian, he is now eight weeks old, and we got him Friday. Whiskey was not too happy initially, but he seems to be grudgingly accepting him now :)

Is Whiskey a persian cat too?

I have just choked with laughter at that photo Mau. That is cute plus-plus-plus! :D Storm's serious look within all the cuteness is wonderful. :giggle2:

Now, are you going to have a change of avatar, maybe to two cats snuggled up together? ;)

No, I don't think you're over-reacting at all. Sounds like the owner is more poorly trained than her dog.The exact same thing happened with both my labs.... <snip> Irresponsible owners are, pardon the pun, a huge pet peeve of mine! :7_mad:

Oops, read this a while ago but forgot to respond. :doh: Yeah, in most cases it's the owners that are the problem, not the dogs! And they always have the same excuses 'Oh, he just wants to play.' or 'Oooh, he's never done that before!!' If you can't control your dog, keep him on the lead. Our previous dog was quite ill-tempered, so we never let him off the lead because we could never trust him, but so many people just don't seem to care. They just wander around the field not even keeping an eye on their dog, and it's us who has to be extra-vigilant to make sure nothing happens. :censored:

We took him up to the field today, and he met three dogs and all were positive experiences, so I hope he gets his confidence up. He's quite a timid and submissive boy, so these experiences are all good for him. He's far more interested in playing with his ball though - once he has a quick sniff, he only has eyes for the ball-flinger.

Here he is up at the local field today. I know I'm biased, but isn't he handsome?! :D

post-7534-0-61764200-1350743983_thumb.jpgpost-7534-0-09430600-1350744000_thumb.jpg

Maureen: Stormy is...DROP...DEAD...GORGEOUS! I can't remember who said it, but full persians and mostly persian cats always have that "grumpy" look on their face. It's gotta be a combination of their facial bone structure, markings and layers of fur. The one we lost at 14, a few years, was a also a gorgeous boy, but I don't think he ever stopped having that "angry cat" look on his face ever, not even when he scared, or excited, or feeling very cuddly. :giggle2:

Bobblybear, I might be a little biased to because I'm a rabid lab fan, so I think your boy one handsome fellow! And I see he's got that perma grin on his face like every happy lab I've ever met. He looks so proud to have found the ball! Was practically strutting back to you in that pic. ;):D

I'm glad he's having better experiences at the park and I hope you never run into more of those terds that shouldn't have any animal in their care! :D

Postponed dog's surgery until after Xmas today. (Didn't even clue just how close it really was until today. I mean I knew, but it really didn't register until I heard the neighbour kids shooting off fireworks today. :o) Just too many things to deal with between then and since I know she will require my full attention for several weeks post-op, I just can't see dealing with it right now. Ah well, I did check with the vet and they agreed it isn't really going to make much of a difference. Dog breath will have to wait a bit longer. Besides, her chronic ear infection is back so it gives me time to deal with that first.

Random thought, she will have to wear a radar dish (plastic cone) and she's really not going to love that. Throws her steering ability right off every time. :giggle2:

• 3 weeks later...

wordsgood - I have still not figured out how many pets you have! :)

Okay, this was just gonna be a short post, but I got carried away. Could delete most of it but thought you might get a chuckle out, of it so here you are folks!

:giggle2: Ooops, thought I had posted that info a long time ago.

When I first joined this forum back in '08, I had three cats and one dog. Sadly we lost our gorgeous (and dumb as a post :giggle:...but utterly gorgeous :smile:) Persian mix, Riker, a couple years ago due to kidney disease not long after turned 14. Unfortunately, we think the visible symptoms may have started in '07 or '08, but that was during a horribly chaotic time with my husband, father and mother all getting sick and/or injured at the same time! So pretty much all of my time for over three years was taken up trying to look after them, two households, two budgets and two sets of pets. By the time I was able to slow down enough to focus on more than the basic needs of my furry kids, and noticed his weight and fur loss, his disease was already in the late stages. Don't think I will ever stop feeling guilty about that. :(

Remaining furballs are:

Sheera, 18.5 year old black and white Siamese mix. She also has kidney disease, but we did catch it in it's very early stages two years ago and so far, she's holding strong with prescription renal formula wet chow from the vet. She's very thin, but not a whole lot more than before getting sick.

That could change suddenly and quickly, but for now I'm just pleased she's still here and showing no signs of distress. Unless you count the fact she's become a very vocal and demanding prima donna who likes her food warmed to the perfect temperature, fluffed and moistened to "her standards" and delivered post haste to our bed where she now demands to be fed. And because she will only eat small amounts at one time, we must go through this little dance 5 to 7 times a day depending on her willingness to accept our meagre offerings. Oh, and the room must immediately fall to silence or she will give a little huff and storm off! If all these conditions are not met. Or if I don't immediately drop everything to cater to every other whim, such as hold the blankets up while she "considers" whether or not to crawl in, or change the water after the dog infects it with slobber, or any other of fairly newish personality *quirks,* she will her tiny little head off. That is a 100% guarantee at least one of her human servants moves their ass almost immediately, if only to shut her up! (What? Spoiled you say? Whatever gave you that idea... :giggle2:)

Aries, also a black and white Siamese mix with some Persian thrown in, he will be 12 on the New Year. Bratty and chatty, he's a handful in every sense of the word. How he got to be so round, er, "mid-section muscular" after a lifetime of low-cal food, I couldn't tell you. Fortunately, his voice is soft and cute, completely unlike the typical Siamese screech that Sheera has. Shhh, don't tell her I said that!

And last but not least, Keiko, our 11.4 yr old black labrador. This is the one going for surgery (hopefully) in early January. Still working on getting rounds of my own appointments to stop for few weeks in a row so I can nurse her through recovery.

On a side note, we've noticed that lately Keiko's age is starting to show up quite a bit more frequently in her behaviour. She's having more "senior moments" of late where she just seems to flat out forget stuff she knows. Then after some encouraging reminders, you almost see the bulb flash over her bean as she remembers what she was doing. If she could speak human I'd be hearing "Eureka!" at least once a day now.

Is a really interesting household I live in now...what with a 77 year man with "girl" problems and short-term (and selective) memory issues, me with my MS brain farts (at least I now have an "official" reason for them :giggle2:), a demanding elderly kitty, and elderly dog that has lots of energy but diminishing brain cells (never had that many to start with... :giggle:), and an overworked, underpaid and exhausted hubby trying really hard not to kill one or more of us! Oh, and let us not forget the fat, technically a senior, but every bit the brat he's always been, fat cat that likes to "help" everyone do everything. He's the official supervisor of all this chaos. It's a self-appointed position, but nevertheless vital function. Just ask him. :giggle2:

And now I shall bid you adieu as I'm off to bed. Have a great day (or night, as the case may be)! :D