Pasta

I made pasta for the first time last night.

It tastes so much better than shop brought pasta. Very, very pleased about it. And the pasta side isn't too much like hard work, really. Just flour and eggs and a bit of salt, mixed and mixed and kneaded and kneaded and then rolled flat.

Filling the pasta, which I did with a chilli, roasted pepper, garlic, olive and mozarella stuffing, though, was a right pain, and took forever.

I think it was worthwhile, though.

I made pasta for the first time last night.

It tastes so much better than shop brought pasta. Very, very pleased about it. And the pasta side isn't too much like hard work, really. Just flour and eggs and a bit of salt, mixed and mixed and kneaded and kneaded and then rolled flat.

Filling the pasta, which I did with a chilli, roasted pepper, garlic, olive and mozarella stuffing, though, was a right pain, and took forever.

I think it was worthwhile, though.

Sounds yummy!

Silly question, but did you fill the pasta 'raw' and then boil it, or did you cook it before you filled it. I'm guessing the former!

I love pasta, especially with mushrooms, pesto and pine nuts, but I've never made my own.

Yeah. I filled it raw. I was using a US recipe, so apoligies for the units - I used 3 cups of fine flour - which is sort of one and a half pints, and five eggs mixed together , gently mixed them together and then kneaded the whole lot for about 10 minutes. The recipe set let the "dough" rest, covered, for half an hour, which I did.

Then I just rolled it until it was thin - repeatedly turning it and keeping the surface well floured, chopped it into rectangles, put filling on one side, dabbed water around the edge to make it stickier, put the other side over and squashed the edges together.

Really that easy.

The filling was just a mozzarella ball, a couple of roasted peppers from a jar, three or four hot chillies from a jar, about 10 olives -all choped into small bits - and a couple of cloves of garlic, crushed, and a bit of salt and pepper.

Boiled them for about 4 or 5 minutes, and was a bit careful when removing them from the water because they were looking pretty fragile.

Delicious, though. I just had some leftover ones and they're still very good.

This is the recipe I've tried (and failed) to make:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/pumpkinravioliwithsa_71558.shtml

The filling smells so lovely but I can't get it to stay in! Twice now I've ended up making a last-minute tomato sauce to stir through the pasta as the filling from the ravs is at the bottom of the pan of water (and even I wouldn't expect people to eat plain pasta with butter as a main course!)

I do stick them together and everything goes well until they hit the water! I think I've narrowed it down. Either:

My pasta is too dry (I'm only following the recipe for the filling - the pasta I make by feel)

I'm overfilling them

I'm not leaving a big enough border to seal

I'm boiling the water too fiercely

I'm probably going to try another couple of times (I don't like to admit defeat ;)) and if I still can't produce a decent ravioli then I'm going to use the filling mix to make some other form of stuffed pasta.:blush:

I could always buy a can...:roll: