What Does It Mean To Be Woman

Hi!

I'm new to this community. I'm going to save you the formalities and introductions to the awesomeness that is Me and get straight to the point.

I am really facinated by the human body, mind, behaviour, relationships, sex, attraction etc- basically Man/Woman type topics. My newest peeve is What does it mean to be a woman on a biological and psychological level. Since I don't preferre the actual encyclopedia or traditional biology which is thaught in schools and universities, I thought that may be reaching out to the bibliophiles out there might be more to my fancy.

I would love to read a book about women which is up to date, of course, entertaining, educational and a little freakshow as well. The best example of what I have in mind is the book Sperm Wars, although that might be a little extreme, which I am very passionate about.

Basically, a book (or books) which gives a very awesome feeling of what does it mean to be of the opposite gender. Women are so crazy that I just can't leave it unnoticed and act like I'm not intreaged by them. Plus, I believe it will be a huge lessen for understanding women which will be a huge impact on the relationships to come for me.

Can't wait for your replies!

I think a good start to understanding women would be to consider that we are not "crazy," or alien, or in fact that different from men. We are human beings with the same basic needs (emotional + intellectual + etc. fulfillment) as men have; just some of us approach this search from another perspective, and I say 'some' because a lot of women actually find men a lot easier to relate to than their own sex.

That basic premise aside, I'm not a big non-fiction reader outside my own field of study (Literature) so I can't really help. There are a lot of non-fiction readers on the forum though, so someone else might be able to recommend something you may find of interest. In the meantime, please do think on what I said.

Plus, I believe it will be a huge lessen for understanding women which will be a huge impact on the relationships to come for me.

If you are going to try to understand your future female partners according to a book or books you have read, you aren't going to get very far in your relationships. Women, nay, human beings, are individuals. The best way to understand someone is to get to know him or her on an individual basis.

I don't think vanderspeed meant to rely solely on the books, just to use them as extra help perhaps :)

Or maybe I've got it wrong.

On topic, I'm affraid I can't think of anything atm.

I don't think vanderspeed meant to rely solely on the books, just to use them as extra help perhaps :)

Or maybe I've got it wrong.

You may be right, Brida, but I was a bit concerned because he used the words "huge impact" and "huge lesson" in regards to his understanding and relationships with women. Maybe I am reading too much into those words, but it set up alarm bells for me.

Edited by Pixie

Women are so crazy that I just can't leave it unnoticed and act like I'm not intreaged by them.

Hi there, no books come to mind atm but I have to say this part of your post did make me laugh, it is nice that you are intrigued by women but like bookjumper said we are not aliens and that sentence does somewhat imply you see women as such, maybe you wanted a reaction. I hope you find what you are looking for and come to realise all women are not crazy.

There's the book 'Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus' by John Gray. I haven't read it so can't recommend it, but it sounds like it might fit the bill.

I've read substantial bits before flinging it away in horror and disgust, I'm afraid - it's certainly the most popular book of its kind, but in my opinion that doesn't save it from being quite frankly filled with nonsense or rather - much worse - clichés, commonplaces and generalisations. These, if anything, hinder the communication between the sexes instead of promoting and facilitating it.