Roman Britain

I'm looking for recommendations on any good books to do with Roman Britain. They can cover any time period. The style of writing is not of too much concern, although if it's anything like Tom Holland's that would be a bonus!

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Aviv!

Part of Simon Scarrow's Roman series is set in Britain in 42AD. Check out the first three books - they are primarily concerned with the ROman invasion of Briatin during that period. The whole series is excellent though.

1. Under the Eagle (2000)

2. The Eagle's Conquest (2001)

3. When the Eagle Hunts (2002)

4. The Eagle and the Wolves (2003)

5. The Eagle's Prey (2004)

6. The Eagle's Prophecy (2005)

7. The Eagle in the Sand (2006)

8. Centurion (2007)

9. The Gladiator (2009)

10. The Legion (2010)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Initially I posted in the non-fiction section as I was looking for an historical non-fiction book.

I never considered reading fiction books about Roman Britain, but since its one of great interest to me, I'd probably enjoy them!

Has any one read a number of these from different authors? As I wouldn't know which one to choose (as I have too many books, the rule is I cannot purchase one until I have completed one, so it has to be well chosen!). I'm sure I have a book titled 'The Gladiator' by Simon Scarrow.

Edited by aviv chadash

Gladiator by Simon Scarrow is one of a series of books, but you'll want to read the others first so you get the most out of it. It's an excellent book, but then the whole series is excellent. :)

1. Under the Eagle (2000)

2. The Eagle's Conquest (2001)

3. When the Eagle Hunts (2002)

4. The Eagle and the Wolves (2003)

5. The Eagle's Prey (2004)

6. The Eagle's Prophecy (2005)

7. The Eagle in the Sand (2006)

8. Centurion (2007)

9. The Gladiator (2009)

10. The Legion (2010)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Initially I posted in the non-fiction section as I was looking for an historical non-fiction book.

I'm sorry Aviv, I moved your thread into this section, and didn't think to specify that you were after non-fiction. :blush:

On my book seeking 'travels', I did see this book, that might be of interest.

Gladiator by Simon Scarrow is one of a series of books, but you'll want to read the others first so you get the most out of it. It's an excellent book, but then the whole series is excellent. :)

I'm terribly sorry Kell! I overlooked 'The Gladiator' in the list! :doh:

Lucky that I didn't start reading it, as it's number 9.

I'm sorry Aviv, I moved your thread into this section, and didn't think to specify that you were after non-fiction. :blush:

No problem Chrissy! It's my fault, I posted in the wrong place.

On my book seeking 'travels', I did see this book, that might be of interest.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried to find recommended reading lists for undergrads of classical studies at a University site but couldn't find any. For the non-fiction book, I think I'll opt for the one you suggested Chrissy. As for the non-fiction, I'll make a note of all of them, I might first go for the Simon Scarrow ones that Kell suggested, as I already have one of the books!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I hope I'll get round to reading all of them!

Edited by aviv chadash

I tried to find recommended reading lists for undergrads of classical studies at a University site but couldn't find any.
Universities won't have reading lists on their websites, however if you find out the convenor for a specific course on the website and email them saying that you're interested in the topic and wish to carry out some independent research, you may well obtain the reading list that way.

I should add that there will be a large number of text books dealing with Roman Britain from history and archaeology and they will deal with different aspects of the subject, both general ones and specific ones. Unfortunately I didn't study Roman Britain on my course it was too modern :lol:

Universities won't have reading lists on their websites, however if you find out the convenor for a specific course on the website and email them saying that you're interested in the topic and wish to carry out some independent research, you may well obtain the reading list that way.

I was concerned that I might annoy them, they might think I'm unnecessarily using their time. :(

I should add that there will be a large number of text books dealing with Roman Britain from history and archaeology and they will deal with different aspects of the subject, both general ones and specific ones. Unfortunately I didn't study Roman Britain on my course it was too modern :lol:

Did you study the Roman Republic? That would be interesting. I would like to learn all about European history so that I can appreciate sites on my travels.

My boyfriend recommends this book, which was one of the best from his Roman history class (he's a history major primarily interested in Classical history):

A History of the Roman People by Allen M. Ward

ISBN: 978-0205695263

It doesn't solely focus on the Roman Republic, it in fact goes from prehistory to the death of Emperor Justinian, but when I asked him about the Roman Republic, he immediately suggested this book.

My boyfriend recommends this book, which was one of the best from his Roman history class (he's a history major primarily interested in Classical history):

A History of the Roman People by Allen M. Ward

ISBN: 978-0205695263

It doesn't solely focus on the Roman Republic, it in fact goes from prehistory to the death of Emperor Justinian, but when I asked him about the Roman Republic, he immediately suggested this book.

Thanks echo. If I can scrape togeather some money I might buy it eventually, but it's a little expensive and I'm Brassic at the moment!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I can recommend a couple of non-fiction books as I did a course on history starting with the Roman period at Birkbeck a few years back.

The Fall of the Roman Empire by Michael Grant

Justinian and Theodora by Robert Browning

I can't recommend any fictional ones as it's not a subject I've taken on.

Edited by SueK

I can recommend a couple of non-fiction books as I did a course on history starting with the Roman period at Birkbeck a few years back.

The Fall of the Roman Empire by Michael Grant

Justinian and Theodora by Robert Browning

I can't recommend any fictional ones as it's not a subject I've taken on.

Thanks Sue.

The second is a little expensive, the first you can't seem to buy new on amazon except through the marketplace (I think). But I'll add them to the list!

I was concerned that I might annoy them, they might think I'm unnecessarily using their time.

90% of university professors would be flattered, and delighted to help. If the other 10% don't like people seeking to widen their knowledge, then that's their problem, not yours. Whichever type you encounter, you have nothing to lose by asking :).