What are your top 5 books? Very difficult Eay!

KAY

I haven't read North and South yet. But I have always loved Cranford (which I re-read a few weeks ago). Some folk say its better than Cranford. What do you think? Presumably you do too as its one of your top picks!:readingtwo:

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read Cranford so I can't answer your question, but the reason I like North and South are the wonderful descriptions of the northern towns, mills and social conditions of the 1850s and I also like Margaret, the heroine - it is such a long time since I read the book but the story always sticks in my memory and so that's why I chose it.

I must give Cranford a try:) Good excuse to go to the library........:)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Mary Barton! I really enjoyed it, did it for a Victorian Novel course. It's totally melodramatic and quite unintentionally hilarious at times, but it's a great read. Especially as it refers to bits of Manchester that I was all too familiar with (in fact, a character - not an important one, this isn't a spolier - dies of exhaustion on Oxford Road and it really creeped me out, knowing that this must have happened. Spooky).

Books that various people have mentioned which I've enjoyed are ....

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons is wonderfully funny in this "I saw something nasty in the woodshed" still stays with me.

The English Patient - one of my favourites

A Month in the Country - this is a beautifully written and crafted little book

Brideshead Revisited - excellent

A Traveller in Time - read this when quite young and it made a lasting impression on me, mean to read it again soon.

The only book that every one raves over which annoyed the living daylights out of me, was The Remains of the Day. It's very well written I know, but soooooo slooooow. I just want to shake the butler, he is so tightly reined in and unemotional. I found it pedantic in style and frustrating. However, very much enjoyed the movie with Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins.

No-one has mentioned any of E.M.Forster's books.

A Room With A view

Howard's End

A Passage to India

Anyone like these?

Funnily enough I have seen all the books, with the exception of A Traveller in Time, as films and enjoyed every one of them. The British do it so well :friends0:

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons is wonderfully funny in this "I saw something nasty in the woodshed" still stays with me.

i'm sure that's a lyrc to a song too... "She said, 'There's something in the woodshed'..." Can't for the life of me remember who it's by though...

ETA: The band is The Devine Comedy and the song is Something for the Weekend

poppy, I'm so glad to see that you too like 'A Month in the Country' it is a wonderful story and I've read it about 4 times now, the film of it was good too. I've not come across many people who have heard of it.

I also like E. M. Forster especially A Room with a View and Howards End, the films of both were excellent, too:)

Poppy said;

Funnily enough I have seen all the books, with the exception of A Traveller in Time, as films and enjoyed every one of them. The British do it so well :friends0:

I'm surprised that its never been turned into a childrens' TV drama. I loved the book, and it stayed with me too, all these years, and then last year I managed to get a copy and re read it. Love it.

I will name my favorite 3 books. It is too tough for me to pick others as there are so many good ones.

The Grapes Of Wrath - John Steinbeck

Old Man And The Sea - Ernest Hemingway

The Moon Is Down - John Steinbeck

I also really enjoyed the Trilogy by Steinbeck:

Tortilla Flat, Cannery Row, and Sweet Thursday.

Obviously, Steinbeck is by far my favorite writer.

Read several Steinbecks many year ago Muggle, especially remember 'The Grapes of Wrath' as being very good. Have this and also 'Of Mice and Men' and 'The Pastures of Heaven'. On my 'to be re-read soon' list.

Rosie, have you read any of R.F.Delderfield? Particularly enjoyed 'A Horeseman Riding By' and 'To Serve Them All My Days'.

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

Speak, Memory - Vladimir Nabokov

Malevil - Robert Merle

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

The Sacketts - Louis L'Amour

I suppose I selected favorites as books I can go back to and reread anytime like an old friend I haven't seen in a while. There are tons more, but that's a start at any rate, and the "top" ones change as time goes by.

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

Speak, Memory - Vladimir Nabokov

Malevil - Robert Merle

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

The Sacketts - Louis L'Amour

I suppose I selected favorites as books I can go back to and reread anytime like an old friend I haven't seen in a while. There are tons more, but that's a start at any rate, and the "top" ones change as time goes by.

I also enjoyed the Sacketts by L'Amour. There are 17 books that involve the Sacketts in one way or another. I believe that i may have mentioned somewhere that I have L'Amour's entire collection of all his books, over 100 and have read them all twice. The last time I read them I wrote, in pencil, in the books the date that I read them.

LOL Muggle! I was counting the series as one book. :D Ya caught me! I have a few others of L'Amour's, but not many. I do like his writing a lot though, and Sacketts is one I love to go back and reread. One of these days I might get to read all of his. I hope. :friends0:

I haven't read North and South yet. But I have always loved Cranford (which I re-read a few weeks ago). Some folk say its better than Cranford. What do you think? Presumably you do too as its one of your top picks!:D

Apparently the BBC are to film a TV serial of Cranford with Judi Dench in the roll of Miss Matty:)

Impossible task! Impossible!

I don't want to leave any of the great books out:irked: and I can't even bring myself to try.

I can only list my single most favorite book of all times "Watership Down" - Richard Adams

Now I could list my favorite authors no problem.....

Ecco, Saramago, Irving

Hi WoKK (I hope you don't mind me shorteningyour name there!) & :D to the forum! I agree with 2 of your choices right off:

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

5. And ... ten hundred others!

I read Cuckoo's Nest when I was about 15 or 16 & loved it (I was already a fan of the film). As for option No. 5, I think there are quite a few of us here who would go for that option! :)