Private Peaceful by Micheal Morpurgo

Inver

I actually read this book a while ago and was so taken by it I had to get my eldest to read it too. It had me in tears at some points.

:D All about WW1 and two brothers and the experience they have of growing up and taking part in the war. Was very well written. A must for any teenager doing WW1 at school:readingtwo:

• 1 month later...
I actually read this book a while ago and was so taken by it I had to get my eldest to read it too. It had me in tears at some points.

:018: All about WW2 and two brothers and the experience they have of growing up and taking part in the war. Was very well written. A must for any teenager doing WW2 at school:readingtwo:

It's fantastic a really accurate account and very moving.

History teacher head though its WW1:mrgreen:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's fantastic a really accurate account and very moving.

History teacher head though its WW1:mrgreen:

That's right - it is about WW1, not 2 - it's set in the trenches.

OnyxAngel - it is very good and I do hope you enjoy it this term. Do post some thoughts about it during reading it and after you've finished.

• 2 weeks later...

It's fantastic so far quite upsetting though of course lol.

The most upsetting bit for me so far: where Grandma wolf kills all big Joe's animals and when the Colonel shoots Bertha

We're up to the part where Tommo finds Big Joe in a very deep sleep in the church tower.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm. I've seen this and I'm interested. I've read one book by him - Adolphus Tips, about a cat during the second world war D-Day take off thingy. I found it quite good, although not one of the best children's books I've read.

I think I'll look out for this book when it comes out in paperback...

Hmm. I've seen this and I'm interested. I've read one book by him - Adolphus Tips, about a cat during the second world war D-Day take off thingy. I found it quite good, although not one of the best children's books I've read.

I think I'll look out for this book when it comes out in paperback...

Adolphus Tips is one of Morpurgo's lighter weight stuff. He's a very versatile writer, but Private Peaceful, The Wreck of the Zanzibar and Why the Whales Came are in a league of their own!