Second-hand books - can you do it?

gax23

I buy most of my books second hand (or even third or fourth hand for all I know!)

In fact I buy almost everything second hand.

I actually prefer used things. I like the feeling of continuity. I love it when books are written in (I mean a dedication on the fly leaf, or if they've been annotated for someone's schoolwork, or someone has marked a passage which has special meaning for them).

I can't understand why people have this obsession with having everything new and shiny.....characterless, I'd say.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on the book for me. If It's something that I'm in love with, I'll usually buy a brand new one but if Its something I only have a minor interest in I will buy a used book, but I still usually look for the best looking copy possible!

• 2 months later...

Do you buy new or second hand? Do you feel bad buying secondhand? I have a friend who is an author and she thinks you shouldn't be able to buy second hand, but I buy most of mine that way. I couldn't afford to buy new and I like to think I'm being somewhat environmentally friendly as the other option for books that people don't want anymore is to throw them away. The idea of that bothers me!

So what do you think? Are you chuffed when you find a book you want for a bargain or do you feel you are somehow cheating?

A bit of both to be honest - as an author myself I would of course much rather people bought my work brand new or at least borrowed it from the library, but I know that not everyone can afford to do that. It is I guess a question of priorities and depends on how many books you buy - some people I know spend a fortune on things that I would consider to be frivolous and baulk at £5 for a book, but each to their own.

Books may seem expensive but very few these days are sold at full price anyway, as discounting seems to get more and more agressive all the time. When you consider the amount of time and effort that goes into writing a book (five year of more or less full time work in my case), they are not really that expensive. I personally only buy used books that are out of print or otherwise not available.

I buy almost all my books either second hand, from bargain bookstores or from supermarkets. The only time I buy from bookshops is when they have sales or I have vouchers.

I usually only visit bookshops for the same reasons as Kell. It's just too expensive otherwise for my budget, but it's a very nice treat from time to time.

The majority of the time I get my books second hand from 1/2 Price Books, charity shops or library book sales.

I guess authors must love me. :lol:

I will only buy second-hand if that is my only option. I am nit-picky about the condition of my books. I don't like spine-creasing unless it's from my multiple readings of a book. And I always do my best to keep a book looking new for as long as possible.

I prefer to buy my books new, but I collect books and over the past year have bought quite a few fine copies second-hand which I have been very pleased with. Most of them are not currently available new in the editions I wanted, but some are. (Kell, the one I have been most pleased with is the two volume Gone with the Wind set, which I found at less than half price still in its shrink-wrap!)

I don't have any feeling of "cheating" at all, just a feeling of real pleasure at finding a book that I wanted for my collection in good condition at a reasonable price.

I don't think it's cheating at all and I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that. Many people can't afford to buy new books or (as in my case) can't afford the sheer quantity of books they want at brand new prices. I buy as many as I can from secondhand bookstores.

New books are really expensive here, and if the prices were lower or if I was richer I wouldn't hesitate to buy them brand new, but when there are so many books I'd like to read, I have no chance of buying them all brand new.

I understand the argument from authors, but wouldn't it be better to have people read your books secondhand rather than not read them at all? My TBR pile and wish list would be much shorter if I had to buy brand new because I would be much more brutal when deciding what I really, really wanted to read.

I buy both. I used to buy new books nearly all the time, but have become a regular in all the local charity shops, and never ceased to be amazed at some of the books you can get in there, including some very recent ones. If there's one I desperately want, I will get it new, but otherwise, I tend to go for second hand now - or borrow them from the library, which is even cheaper!!

I am a bit torn on the second-hand thing. I GIVE things away to second-hand stores to be bought by others, but I am not too fond of buying second-hand myself. I´ve only bought a few things second-hand. But 2 of those were books. One I thought was funny to have and the other because I could not find a new copy of it, as it had been taken out of production.

I prefer buying new books, in pocket versions. That way they are new AND cheap. :D

I've merged this thread with an existing one about second-hand books.

I personally love used books, and will always buy used when I can...unless the book is pretty much destroyed, or smells bad.

• 6 months later...

I buy almost all my books secondhand because of the cost. If there is a specific book that I can't find or haven't seen at Half Price Books or Goodwill, then I will buy it new, but otherwise all secondhand.

It's sort of like a challenge to find the books I want secondhand. The hunt and looking for books is part of the fun for me. I have a list of books that I want to read and if I find them at a decent price used, I will pick it up and add it to my collection. All the books I have found used are in decent shape. I probably wouldn't buy a book used if it was stained and drawn in. Have to draw the limit somewhere. I want my books used, not damaged.

I also try to only buy in paperback because I bring my books to work with me and a hardcover is so heavy.

I used to be very fussy but then I started to think whats the point I only read them once and then they sit of the shelf and get sun bleached anyway so I am less fussy although I do prefer a pristine book.

If a book I am reading has an unblemished spine then I will try my very hardest not to damage it but if reading a second hand book that has some spine damage then I know I can relax whilst reading it.

I don't like "yellow" books when the pages are old and yellowing I did receive one book from a book swap where I opened the end of the packet saw the book was yellow and then left it in the packaging and its still there.

I don't like second hand books that smell of smoke but I don't seem to find them as often these days I think more people smoke outside now which helps.

So basically I don't mind if its second hand just as long as its not in too bad a state but what I do object to is that nowadays charity shop books are nearlly the same prices as new books that are on offer either 2 for £7 or on 3 4 2's so I would much prefer to get 2 or 3 books all shiney and new for the same price as 2 or 3 books that look like a dog has chewed them.

I have just started buying used books. Its not as bad as I thought it was going to be! If it's a random book someone told me to read I look for it used first instead of buying it new. If it's something I KNOW I want to read and will want nice I still tend to buy it new. It's kind of fun if I have time to kill, sitting on the floor going through shelves of un organized used books.

I'm completely skinto at the moment, so even though I have a big pile of books waiting to be read, I've been visiting the library a lot lately. I also dontate all my books that I'm finished with and not keepiing to my old school library (which is also a public library, as they had all their funding for new books cut several years ago. I've already donated about 200 bokos to there and have another dozen or so waiting to be taken there. I love the thought that I'm helpnig out a library that meant so much to me growing up (I spent all my breaks and free periods in there as it was nice and peaceful and I wouldn't get bullied in there - LOL!), even though I don't live there any more (it's a small town just south of the city where I live).

I buy second hand books, when they are in good condition, there is a fantastic very large second hand book shop in Great Yarmouth, when we when at Easter, went there and bought about 15 books, all the books are 90p each.

In Luton we only have WH Smith and paperbacks are normally £7.99 which are quire expensive, if I do buy new books normally buy from Amazon as they are a bit cheaper than the shops

I don't mind to buy second hand book. because there is same thing available in second hand book. if we buy second hand book then we can save our money as well. and there is no any different feeling when we read second hand book or new book. so why not we are saving our money.and with that money we can do the other things. if every people think not to buy second hand book then what we are going to do with that new book after completing our work? so I think there is no any problem to buy second hand book.