Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

Finished the last 184 pages of Fallen by Lauren Kate.

Planning to finish off Popco, only about 20 pages which I've been neglecting for ages since the story has pretty much already ended, possibly tonight. Then I can either continue with Good Behavior, or start something else. Decisions, decisions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My lovely mam (she's always lovely when she buys me things :lol:) bought me a copy of The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown today :D

I've read a few more pages of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I haven't had much time to read today :irked:

I started, and am 100 pages into, The House At Riverton by Kate Morton. Absolutely loving it. Very, very easy to read, distinctive and likeable characters (though it took me a while to work out who was with who, not sure why) and it's set at the tail end of my favourite time period, the 1800s and early 1900s. I'm thinking this is going to be a firm favourite.

I think I will read This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman next.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of this - I've only read The Coldfire Trilogy by Friedman, but I absolutely love her writing and that trilogy is one of my all time favourite sets of books.

I started, and am 100 pages into, The House At Riverton by Kate Morton. Absolutely loving it. Very, very easy to read, distinctive and likeable characters (though it took me a while to work out who was with who, not sure why) and it's set at the tail end of my favourite time period, the 1800s and early 1900s. I'm thinking this is going to be a firm favourite.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of this - I've only read The Coldfire Trilogy by Friedman, but I absolutely love her writing and that trilogy is one of my all time favourite sets of books.

This is my first book by this author, so I definitely will give a review.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying The House at Riverton. I just finished The Forgotten Garden by the same author and adored it. Much of it also took place during the late 1800s and early 1900s. I will post a review tomorrow.

On to This Alien Shore. :smile2:

I am glad to hear you are enjoying The House at Riverton. I just finished The Forgotten Garden by the same author and adored it. Much of it also took place during the late 1800s and early 1900s. I will post a review tomorrow.

Ahhhh The Forgotten Garden was another title on my list I had meant to check out and get a hold of; I didn't know it was also Kate Morton. I might have to go back to my charity shop and see if I can get that one in perfect condition for €1.50 as well :lol: Actually, I think it's one I've seen in Tesco a lot. If it's anywhere near as good as The House At Riverton, I'd nearly fork out the full RRP, which I don't do (can't afford to) for most books. I'm now 223 pages into The House At Riverton, having only started earlier tonight, and I'm having to force myself to go to sleep - I could probably stay up the rest of the night engrossed in it!

Ahhhh The Forgotten Garden was another title on my list I had meant to check out and get a hold of; I didn't know it was also Kate Morton. I might have to go back to my charity shop and see if I can get that one in perfect condition for €1.50 as well :lol: Actually, I think it's one I've seen in Tesco a lot. If it's anywhere near as good as The House At Riverton, I'd nearly fork out the full RRP, which I don't do (can't afford to) for most books. I'm now 223 pages into The House At Riverton, having only started earlier tonight, and I'm having to force myself to go to sleep - I could probably stay up the rest of the night engrossed in it!

I loved The Forgotten Garden. I also own The House at Riverton, I just haven't got round to reading it yet. I'm sure its great though, Kate can really write.

I am currently reading The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Almost half way through it, enjoying it so far, though probably not as much as The Shadow of the Wind.

Started the Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon yesterday and read about 120 pages. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I find his writing really engaging and his characters deep and interesting. Am off to read some more, hope it continues being as enjoyable.

Started the Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon yesterday and read about 120 pages. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I find his writing really engaging and his characters deep and interesting. Am off to read some more, hope it continues being as enjoyable.

Enjoy the rest of it. Personally I thought it got better and better throughout.

I've been reading Second Chance by Jane Green. About halfway through and really like it. I've never read her before even though she has written a lot.

For those who like Kate Morton I would recommend Rachel Hore - she is a similar writer :)

I needed some book therapy today (because :lol: I need more books ;) ) ~

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (in paperback)

Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada

The Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh

:)

I loved The Forgotten Garden. I also own The House at Riverton, I just haven't got round to reading it yet. I'm sure its great though, Kate can really write.

I am currently reading The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Almost half way through it, enjoying it so far, though probably not as much as The Shadow of the Wind.

The Forgotten Garden sounds less appealing to me, but everyone seems to think it's actually better, so I'm going to trust them and get it. Possibly tomorrow.

I read The Shadow of the Wind literally in one day last week. It's not amazing, I don't personally see why it's this big OMG INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER thing. I found it pretty predictable, and the character responsible for all the events rather dull. BUT, other than that, it was nicely written and it did keep me reading for an entire day, so I obviously liked something about it, even if I'm not quite sure what it is. I did really enjoy it. I definitely want to read his next one.

For those who like Kate Morton I would recommend Rachel Hore - she is a similar writer :)

Ahhh thank you!! I was reading through a Looking For A Book thread yesterday about similar authors to Morton - I'll be sure to check Rachel Hore out. Thanks Kate :lol:

ETA: Forgot to add my own book activity :doh:

Started The House At Riverton as I said last night, I'm 431 pages into it now and plan to finish the other 160 pages this evening. It's excellent - I can see why some people might feel it's drawn out - it's not as though a lot happens but for people like me who love to get caught up in the mundanity of daily life as much as the less frequent excitment of life in the Victorian and Edwardian periods, it's incredibly indulgent. Easily one of my favourite books.

I needed some book therapy today (because :lol: I need more books ;) ) ~

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (in paperback)

Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada

The Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh

:)

I have "Alone in Berlin" on the pile, and I'm minded to make a start on it sooner rather than later. It's supposed to be excellent.

I have read two chapters from This Alien Shore. I have so many distractions today I haven't been able to read more yet, but judging from what I have read, I am going to like this book. It has already sucked me in and made me curious to find out more about Jamisia(Jamie). :smile2:

I have got noo reading done what so ever. I have been feeling so ill.

I hope the sickness will go soon and I can have a reading session in bed. I am liking The Bone Collector so much.

Aw nothing serious I hope? Feel better soon! :console:

I haven't done any reading so far today, although the day is still young ;)

Finished The House At Riverton! Excellent book. I (eventually) guessed the bulk of the twist at the end, but I didn't guess the little details that actually made it make sense.

Back to deciding what to read next :mellow:

I finished Blood of angels by Michael Marshall the third part in the Straw Men trilogy not having read the first. It was good, the usual conspiracy thriller with a little murder and mayhem thrown in.