Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am almost 700 pages into GWTW. Does this thing ever end? :D

Seriously, at times I enjoy the story, other times my mind wanders.

It's a good thing I have never seen the movie, otherwise I probably would have lost interest completely.

Book activity today? I transported 200 books across town and then carried them up 4 flights of stairs. I'm now about to stack them all up against the wall. That's my book activity.

Managed a few more pages into The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, 107 exactly. The first chapter absolutely bowled me over with it's intensity and beauty, but succeeding chapters less so.

It's an enjoyable story, and read, but a few things irritate me. Italics are a particular annoyance to me. I don't care for an author telling me which word in a sentence to emphasize, especially when it is quite obvious what the emphasis should be.

An author friend of mine has that bad [to me] habit, and I'm always telling her to trust the reader to sense what the emphasis should be, and I'm disappointed that Mitchell doesn't know that.

Only 150 pages of Birdsong left so i'm hoping to finish at the weekend not because i'm not enjoying it , i hasten to add, just because i have so many other books to read i feel like i should be cracking on with them :D

Half-way through A Dream Of Wolves by Michael C White. Recently bought/ordered The Oracle by Catherine Fisher,The Resistance by Gemma Malley and The Briar King by Greg Keyes. All different levels of fantasy.

I finished The God of the Hive last night which meant I was up til very late but I knew I wouldn't have a chance to finish it this weekend as I have friends over.

As I've got loads of supernatural books to read at the moment, including a batch from the library, I've decided I might as well just keep going with them, and see if I can get the craving out of my system for a while! To that end, I started City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare this morning, but just to try and keep my feet on the ground, I'm going to read a collection of short stories along side it, so I've chosen Free Love and other stories by Ali Smith to accompany it. With 12 stories in 150 pages, none are very long, so I'll be able to get my fix of the real world in short easy bursts in between sessions of fantasy!

Visited the 2nd hand bookshop yesterday and picked up a lovely little 1902 copy of Silas Marner, which promptly fell apart in the shopkeepers hands. :D Not irreparable though, and the inscription is lovely.

I've already read it once before, but I loved it so much that I want to reread it and own it as I know I'll go back to it from time to time. Such a funny, enchanting novel, Kinsella's best in my opinion :lol:

I should finish Gone with the Wind by this weekend, but I don

A Million Little Pieces is a great book! I hope you enjoy it! =)

Reading it while eating lunch maybe wasn't the best idea though! I think it's the oldest book on my TBR pile, I keep not feeling like it, but now I've actually started it I am wanting to read it, even though I only picked it up because nothing really appealed to me this morning and it was the nearest book!