Pillars of the Earth Mini-series!

Katrina1968

Oh wow, I had no idea this had been filmed. I shall have to avidly watch the TV guides to see when it will be shown.

Can't wait!!!!:D

• 3 months later...

I watched the first five episodes but haven't been back to watch the rest yet - I thought it was a pretty poor adaptation of a somewhat overrated novel. I think my main problem with the mini-series is its pacing. It seems they were intent on rushing through the first two or three hundred pages of the book to get to what they considered 'the good stuff'. Unfortunately, that means that quite major events are brushed over, or happen with little explanation, or aren't shown at all, and characters' motivations have flown out the window to be replaced by jarring shifts in the story. The first episode is especially guilty of this. Characters travel here, there and everywhere, and make life-changing decisions that aren't explained at all. As a result, they seemed to me to talk at each other because the script required it, rather than talking to each other because of the feelings between them.

Having read the book, it's difficult to say how this adaptation will come across to someone coming to it fresh. It could feel quite bewildering, I imagine. The timeline of the story has been significantly compressed to fit the mini-series format, which is understandable but I thought it threw up quite a few additional problems. For instance, Alfred was supposed to be about 14 at this stage but looks like he's at least ten years older than that. Jack is also much older than he should be at the start. For someone who hasn't read the novel that shouldn't be a problem, though.

I don't think any of my issues with it are the actors' fault, or the production qualities, which are first class. It'll be interesting to see what other people think of it.

Well I stuck with this for about an hour & then had to turn it off it was so dire. I think they did a real hatchet job on the book & have to agree with Karsa that it would be very confusing to anyone who hadn't read the book you didn't get to know any of the characters very well & they just kind of threw the story at you. I was so dissapointed because I'd really been looking forward to watching it as I enjoyed the book so much needless to say I wont be tuning in next week :irked:

I didn't bother rewatching it, but have just been reading The Guardian's blog about it and a couple of parts amused me:

This is a big, high-powered cast, dumped into a grotty, sparsely populated world. The court of King Stephen is not only tatty, it's half-empty, like the upstairs room of a pub on a Tuesday night.

:lol:

We also see Waleran immolating himself in the hope of suppressing sexual desire.

Immolating himself?? Blimey, he came out of that well :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/oct/16/pillars-of-the-earth-episode-one

I watched this too and found it a bit soul-less really. It's got a jolly good cast but they all seemed to be "acting by numbers". When I saw Donald Sutherland still look quite pristine while lounging in a jail/dungeon - I felt a bit cheated. I might tune in to see the next episode - haven't decided yet. There are also some glaring inaccuracies, date-wise which I felt was a bit off.

I much preferred the Cadfael series which takes place in the same period of history.

Edited by SueK

I think if you haven't read the book, you would be utterly confused. I have read it, and even then I was a little bewildered! I think they tried to introduce too many charactors too quickly, so you didn't have time to develop much empathy with anyone. They have also chopped and changed the order of the story a little it seems. Perhaps it would have come across better if they had made it in more parts, so giving more time to concentrate on one charactor? But I guess that budgetary constraints these days mean that's not possible?

Still, I have to say I wasn't initially looking forward to the idea of Ian McShane as Waleran. (he didn't fit the mental image I had built up from the book) but I thought he played the part really well.

I will still watch next week, and hope the series is suffering from "first episode" syndrome.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Learned that one of my favorite novels PILLARS OF THE EARTH was adapted into a miniseries - looks incredible! Has anyone else seen this? Apparently the DVD releases next week 11/23. Thought I'd share, for any of my fellow Pillars fans out there.

b662e33f782a44cf706f67ad60f9dde5_pvt.jpg

Edited by Chrissy
merged with existing thread

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey, what happened?! Did the writers get to the last episode and realise that there was vast ammounts of the original story they hadn't used? So they just chucked it all in in any order they fancied and changed the ending a bit!

Particularily didn't like

William Hamleigh's hanging - Oh dear, my head just accidently just slipped into this noose!

disappointing

Ian