Torchwood

Michelle

Nici, maybe he's mature enough to understand some of the issues etc? I'm actually letting Beth watch it, but only after me, and only after I've explained it to her, and warned her about certain things. Only once did she find a bit of it boring, and that was the Wed night episode.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was sad especially the last episode. I recorded them all during the week and watched over the course of the weekend.

As much as I love Doctor Who and Torchwood I think I'm going to miss David and John cause it seems they're both gone now :icon_eek:

I have to say, I didn't really think this series of Torchwood was that good. I was looking forward to a change of format, with a five-part story, but by the end, I felt it was overly long and padded, and didn't have the right tone for the series.

The premise of the story was good, but I don't think it warranted five episodes, and I could have quite happily watched it as a much tighter two-part story in a full 13 episode series. I didn't think the dynamic of the team worked with just Jack, Gwen and Ianto, even if you take bringing in Rhys and Lois, it didn't work for me.

Having said that, the direction was brilliant, from my favourite Doctor Who director, Euros Lyn. His style of framing and cinematography is always beautiful, and he always seems to make effective use of brevity and understatement in his work at some point.

I did have my suspicions that this would signal the end of Torchwood in general, as I can't see the point of Russell T. Davies leaving Doctor Who but staying with Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures, so I think this is the end of Torchwood, and SJA will finish after the third series this autumn. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll have to see.

• 2 weeks later...

I was listening to the Radio Free Skaro podcast review of Children of Earth this afternoon, and apparently

a number of dismayed Ianto fans have started a letter-writing campaign to RTD to get him to resurrect the character - pretty much the usual fan reaction to the demise or cancellation of a series these days really, but what made me smile about this one is that they are encouraging people to send RTD sachets of coffee!

• 4 months later...

Hey guys.

I was given the first two seasons of Torchwood on DVD by my brother (always sending me great stuff!).

It - is - awesome!!! It just gets better and better with each episode. And then, at the beginning of seires 2, Spike from Buffy's in it! How great is this programme?!?

Sorry. Excitment over. :)

Edited by Michelle
moved to the Torchwood thread

It does get better as it goes along, the first series has some very ropey epsiodes (the one with the Cyberwoman was dreadful . . .).

RTD was quoted the other day saying that talks are under way for series four, and that all going well he should start writing for it early next year.

From the Doctor Who News Page:

John Barrowman has said he expects Torchwood is to return for a fourth series as a full 13 episode run. Speaking on Steve Wright in the Afternoon on BBC Radio 2, Barrowman confirmed he was signed up for the long rumoured return, although a production date has yet to be finalised.

I don't like Martha either. I don't mind Mickey though, well when he's not fawning over Rose. I do think they will be new additions though, Martha at least. Or they could just focus on Jack more, like they do in Doctor Who. Have him working alone (although I'm not so sure that would work).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Torchwood has been renewed for a new 10 part series, to air summer 2011. It will apparently be a co-production with an American company and the BBC and won't be limited to just Cardiff, they are trying to give the series an international feel.

Let's hope they keep up the momentum from Children of Earth.

Let's hope they keep up the momentum from Children of Earth.

I hope they don't. I'm still ambivalent about it, but I have no inclination to watch it, whereas I'll quite happily watch the first two series episodes time and again.

I don't want Torchwood to become more international, the domesticity is the reason I like it. I like that it centres around Cardiff, I like that it is very British, and I like the nature of the stories in general. Going Hollywood is a bad sign for me, but I'll obviously watch it and hope that it all works out well.

I'm also a bit concerned over 10 parts. Most series run for 6, 13 or 26 parts, unless they do something like they did with scheduling Children of Earth, where it was 5 parts on consecutive days. I'm hoping the new series isn't gong to be that same format, as I like the freshness of the short one and two part stories, with something for everyone.

I sound grumpy about it, but it's early in the morning, but really I'm still thinking "Yay! New Torchwood!"

I think they are going for a concept/theme driven show, like 24 or Lost, but with a shorter length so people don't get tired of a five series slog.

As much as I like individual episodes of Torchwood series one and two, CoE really worked for me, it kept up the momentum over five nights and had some truly shocking twists and turns.

I think I really need to watch it again sometime soon!