Pixie's perusals reviewed 2010

Pixie

I don't really keep a list of the books I plan to read, although there is one in my head somewhere. I plan to use this space for my reviews of the books I have read. I prefer to have them all in one place for easy reference. I will do my best to not reveal any of the plot.

Pixie's review of

Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard

The author of this novel asked me what was it about this book that made it "unputdownable" because she felt that "nothing happens". I beg to differ. Everything happens within this novel. Life, death, pain, joy, inner conflict, outer conflict, love, loss, relationships, dreams, loneliness, validation, and finally inner peace. These are the things that steer human lives.

Rose's past life is a mystery when the book begins, but as the story unfolds, more and more answers are revealed, as new and old relationships weave through her life. Rose, to me, represents every woman, and perhaps every man, as we each search for our own reasons to live and learn to love ourselves in spite of the flaws. I think all of us, to varying degrees, look for the extreme highs (like the euphoria that climbing a mountain can bring :D), and wallow in our despairs to the point where we lose mobility in our lives. But somewhere in between these polar opposites lies stillness and peace, and who would not rush to find that, within these pages, and within themselves? The story of Rose, her past, her present, and her possible future illustrates in breathtaking landscapes the wish, the hope, we all have to matter, especially to ourselves and loved ones.

Well, I tried. I wish I could put into better words my thoughts about this book, but I don't want to post spoilers, and if I go any further, I will. One other thing that made this book so superb was that nothing seemed out of place. Every description lent itself to the plot, and the ending cycled to the beginning, much like life itself.

10/10 stars

Edited by Pixie

Well this will make Linda happy. You've forced me to add this to my wishlist. Just need some cash...

Thanks for a fantastic review Pixie.

By the way Pixie, you can post the blurb on the back of the book to hint at the plot, and you can always use spoiler tags if you're worried you might ruin the unfolding of a book with any remarks.

For the spoiler tags, you can do the following:

*Click post reply.

*Write your post.

*Look above the text box, there are two lines of icons.

*On the second line there are these icons on the far right:

# ABC

*Highlight (click and drag) the text you want to hide with your cursor

*Click

It will look like this

Hi Pixie!

Excellent! This book really deserves to be read, it was that good.

Thank you for the tips on spoilers as well, although I really want to get practiced on giving a review without giving away the plot. It's so difficult. :D:irked:

I'm definitely no expert, believe me. But if you want to take a look at how I lay my reviews out, you're welcome to check out the link in my signature.

The blog is quite handy really, it's allowing me to review all my books in one place where I can see them all, and then as I find the time I can post the reviews on the forum here. I just need to find the time :D

Pixie, that is a BEAUTIFUL review of EMOTIONAL GEOLOGY! I'm staggered! It does what the best of reviews do, which is show the author the book they didn't know they'd written. Hard to explain what I mean, but I'll try...

When you finish writing a book, you think you know what it's about and what the book is like, because you've lived with it for a year or so while you wrote it. But when readers share their reactions (especially when they are considered views like yours), it's like hearing yourself on tape, or seeing a photo of yourself that you didn't know someone had taken. Your own book comes as a surprise.

I had truly seen EG as a static book, pretty slow, contemplative. (When I wrote it I was 100% convinced it was unpublishable.) I thought what I'd written was deeply personal (it was) and therefore not "transferable". I would never have been able to see the book in the light that you present it. THANK YOU. :D

No pressure, but can I reproduce your review anywhere, either anonymously or crediting you? I'd love to put it on my Facebook fan page. (You might prefer to message me off-list or email.)

I would be honored to have you use my review anywhere you like. You can either do it anonymously, or use my name, which I will send to you privately.

I am overwhelmed by your appreciation of my review. I always take time to reflect upon what I read, and there is no greater reward than knowing that I understood what was in the author's heart and mind. It seems I did. :D

Also, the most personal things written about are often the most compelling.

Thank you so much for the compliment, Lucybird. I am not the best judge of my own analytical and writing abilities. I am always second guessing myself.

It is always interesting (and rare) to see an authors reaction to something one of us has written about his/her book. Pixie look what you have done-I am going to have to read this now!

Pixie, you have captured 'Emotional Geology' so well. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :(

You now have 'Star Gazing' to enjoy. I cannot wait to read your thoughts with that one too.

Vodkafan and Joe ~ BUY IT, READ IT. BUY IT, READ IT!

Thank you, Chrissy! :(

Actually, I have Star Gazing and A Life Time Burning is soon to be delivered as well. Although, when I will get to them I have no idea.

And yes, buy it, read it, please. This is a book that breathes and aches with life.

It is always interesting (and rare) to see an authors reaction to something one of us has written about his/her book.

I'm sure I'm not alone in not knowing whether readers like authors butting in, or whether it just makes them feel self-conscious - especially if they haven't enjoyed a book and want to say so! (That wouldn't bother me btw. A member of an Oxford reading group described A LIFETIME BURNING as "the worst book they'd ever read", after which, anything else is a laugh. :D )

Reviews and reader reactions are important to authors. We treasure our 5 star Amazon reviews! Such things help you cope with the isolation of the job and constant rejection. I recently had two novel manuscripts rejected on the same day. :( One of them has had nothing but rejections for 2 years now. So when a reader takes the trouble to express their appreciation of an older book, it's very cheering!

I'm sure I'm not alone in not knowing whether readers like authors butting in, or whether it just makes them feel self-conscious - especially if they haven't enjoyed a book and want to say so! (That wouldn't bother me btw. A member of an Oxford reading group described A LIFETIME BURNING as "the worst book they'd ever read", after which, anything else is a laugh. :( )

I have to admit, it was a relief to know I would be writing a positive review when I knew you would be reading my thoughts. :D

However, if I didn't enjoy a novel, I would be just as thoughtful in my approach. If I don't like a book, I want to know why. As readers, I think we can learn a lot about ourselves by examining our reactions to the books we read.

Title: Change of Heart

Author: Jodi Picoult

My review:

My biggest issue with this book was that the author seemed to be trying too hard. She needed this perfect scenario to get the point she wanted across, and so everything became a little too unbelievable. Also, the love story on the side seemed to be thrown in just to tug at heart strings, and unfortunately, because of this, it fell flat.

I did appreciate the over philosophical theme of the book (who really has the right to decide the value of somebody else's life), and it did make me question my own moral code to a degree. I just felt a better story, a more believable story, could have been told if the author had put more thought into it. There wasn't much in the way of convincing character development, either, which is a huge minus for me.

Oddly enough, though, something about it kept me turning the pages. Jodi Picoult's writing does flow well, and she slides easily into different character's view points. Also, the ending wasn't a complete disappointment, although pretty predictable for me.

5/10 stars

Title: The Book of Flying

Author: Keith Miller

Brief Synopsis: A young poet/librarian in love with a winged girl leaves his city by the sea in search of his own wings. His journey leads him down unexpected paths, to unexpected friends, with stories of their own that intertwine with his.

My review:

I wish I had more time to give this the great review it deserves, but I am tired and I am having trouble forming my thoughts into coherent sentences. This is my only chance to write a review while the book is fresh in my memory, as I have to work the next three days.

The language that drives the story is poetic poignancy. The story itself is almost a parable for our times, although the world it takes place in is very different then our own. There is so much tenderness in this book, but underneath lies a subtle brutality that is difficult to explain. Kind of like life, I suspect. The ending was so unexpected for me. I won't say any more than that! This book probably is not for everyone. If you don't enjoy poetic prose, you should definitely steer clear. I, on the other hand, wanted more as soon as I read the last word.

10/10 stars

Edited by Pixie

... exactly :(! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did, and am delighted to bear good news - I'm not sure it's a sequel as such, but Miller's written a second book called The Book on Fire :) you know what to do.

Tenderness and subtle brutality! Might have to read this one too....

Yes, you must read it. You know you must. :friends0:

Seriously, it is a beautiful book. :D

Title: Gone With The Wind

Author: Margaret Mitchell

Synopsis from Amazon:

Gone With the Wind is a sweeping, romantic story about the American Civil War from the point of view of the Confederacy. In particular it is the story of Scarlett O'Hara, a headstrong Southern belle who survives the hardships of the war and afterwards manages to establish a successful business by capitalizing on the struggle to rebuild the South. Throughout the book she is motivated by her unfulfilled love for Ashley Wilkes, an honorable man who is happily married. After a series of marriages and failed relationships with other men, notably the dashing Rhett Butler, she has a change of heart and determines to win Rhett back.
My thoughts:

I was hesitant about reading this book, as it is very long, but after finishing it, I was glad I did put the effort into it. There are many deep themes to be found within this book, internal vs. external identification being a major one that spoke to me. The characters are very real, with flaws that make you both love and hate them. This book is more than just a romance or a tale about the South and the Civil War in America. It is about survival during times of the most heart-wrenching turmoil. It's about choices and living with the consequences of those choices. In some ways, the story of Scarlett, family, friends, loved ones may seem a tragedy, and yet the spark of life always flares within the heroine. That was what made the book worth reading for me.

The only downside for me was the author would sometimes wear me down with too many descriptive details and a tendency to drag out character's motivations and foibles. Would I recommend this book to others? That is a definite YES! :D

8/10 stars

I've never seen the movie although i have seen clips from it so i'd like to read the book first & then watch the movie to see how they compare. Thanks for the review:)

You're welcome, kidsmum. :D

I have only seen bits and pieces of the movie as well. I am glad I read the novel first. Now I really want to see the movie. :D