Group Read Of The Hobbit

pickle, I think its because Tolkien wrote this one for children. Gandalf "grows" up in LOTRs. He's more serious. In LOTRs, Gandalf only disappears during a battle, not because he was out "looking and questioning". Now that I think about it, Gandalf was not my favorite character in the Hobbit. He was just so arrogant and theatrical. I mean, he would come just in the neck of time to save them and then pat himself on the back for doing it. How come he didnt just STAY with them?!:)

Oh I agree, he is a much less likeable character (if likeable is the right word for Gandalf :D) he is arrogant and deliberately mysterious but in a wierd way. I loved that the book was full of foibles and not one character in the end was really really heroic in an incorruptible way.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True and I think I agree with Raven, that really if you are going to read this book best be sure to read it before LOTR as its such a childish version that you will be dissapointed if you read it after, in some ways I am glad the film is shelved as I think a lot of people would be dissapointed as they would expect the epic and this story isn't

Saying all that though its a great childrens book.

I've recently finished reading the Sil to my children and we're about to start 'The Hobbit' now. I've read 'The Hobbit' to them a few years ago, they loved it back then. I'm curious to find out how they'll about it now, being much older (11 and 13). It's always such a pleasure to reread Tolkien.

• 2 months later...

I've recently finished reading the Sil to my children and we're about to start 'The Hobbit' now. I've read 'The Hobbit' to them a few years ago, they loved it back then. I'm curious to find out how they'll about it now, being much older (11 and 13). It's always such a pleasure to reread Tolkien.

Sadya, if you go on iTunes you can download an excellent (full cast) radio play of the Hobbit that your children might enjoy. The actors are excellent. I'm a lot older than 11 and 13 and I still get a buzz out of listening to it from time to time :)

Curious to hear what they made of the Silmarillion - was it not a bit dry for them>

They enjoyed the stories, it was the second time for my son so he understood them better now. I think The Sil needs a reread for better comprehension because of so many characters and events. My daughter liked the stories too, but often had to be reminded of the background of certain characters. I think when we read it next year she'll remember and understand it better. They said it was nice to know the origins of some of the characters and places of Middle Earth. They both prefer 'The Hobbit' though.

I'm not sure it was at that point, but it is back on again now, anyway (with Peter Jackson directing).

I know I think at the time it was on the back burner because of problems. I am still not sure that apart from die hard Tolkien fans it will be as good, I will certainly go and watch it but it is much more of a childish book than LOTR and those unfamiliar with it may be dissapointed.

I know I think at the time it was on the back burner because of problems. I am still not sure that apart from die hard Tolkien fans it will be as good, I will certainly go and watch it but it is much more of a childish book than LOTR and those unfamiliar with it may be dissapointed.

A lot of that is the tone of the narration I think. The radio play I mentioned above does great things with that by having two narrators: a storyteller, and Bilbo himself who keeps interrupting. Bearing in mind that the Hobbit is meant to be Bilbo Baggins's memoirs ("There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Adventure") I think the film could do something similar to explain the lightness of tone compared to the Lord of the Rings.

If they went the other way and tried to make it more like LoTR, I think that most of it could translate (with minimal work) into the style and tone of Lord of the Rings, with one glaring exception: the encounter with the trolls. I think in The Hobbit they're called Burt, Bill, and Tom Huggins or something. There's no way that could possibly gel with the trolls as presented in LoTR, so they would simply have to completely reinvent the scene.