Group Read Of The Hobbit

That is as I remember it. The publisher thought it unsuitable material for various reasons.

And even on those attempts at getting it bundled with his other works, it was unfinished! The depths of his imagination were truly endless.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet he was such a mild little man who spit when he lectured!:D

When I first read chapter one, I wanted to grab a cloak, sack and traveling stick and follow along on their journey. Something about this book and the LOTRs brought out the wanderlust in me. I am relatively sedentary when it comes to staying in one place but there are moments when I feel the urge to pull a Bilbo (with hubby) and just travel. Oh how many times have sat and thought about selling everything and living in an RV (camper) journeying from place to place at our leisure? A good 4G, laptop, camera and chargers, a few pieces of luggage and coolers and a credit card and we are all set!;) Ahh, but there are the children...:D

Has everyone finished Chapter 1? Anymore comments? Please jump in! Anyone ready for Chapter 2?

Wow, this is coincidence, or maybe I just subconsciously saw the thread and it influenced me to get the Hobbit in the library. I got it last week, has been long time since I read it, highschool, and then my english was not as good as it is now so I barely got half of it. Although I don't know if this group read is of much use, I am somewhere in chapter six already, in one go, its such an easy book for me now. ;)

Is it me, or is the tone here very different than from the LotR books? It's very light and fluffy really... not what I usually like in my fantasy books.. I like fantasy dark and epic. :D But I wanted to read this one again before the films come out.

But I agree Katrina, this does bring out the wanderlust in one. I have that too with the LotR films, especially with that song Bilbo and Gandalf sing.. "the road goes ever on and on" or something.

Now I want to listen to the soundtrack for the films.. it's lurvely. I love the song "concerning hobbits"..

Anyway, back to topic, I'll check this thread every now and then, but I'll keep on reading hee hee. No way I am reading one chapter at a time, I always want more. :D

@ Katrina re finishing chapter 1, ready when you are.

@ Univerze re the tone. It is very different Univerze. The tone of the Hobbit is very light and fluffy, it is actually a children's story. Tolkien's publishers asked for a sequel and he wrote Lord of the Rings. LotR was originally intended to also be for children, but as Tolkien was writing, it became darker and darker until he had to call it a story for adults.

Nope. No rules. Might I suggest though Katrina, with your approval of course, that we spoiler tag any giveaways from here on in, for those that might not have read it before, and who unknowingly stumble on this delightful thread?:D

P.S. I hope you started already Katrina... I'm well on the way;)

It's nice and easy Katrina.

If you write anything that will spoil the story for anyone, highlight with your cursor, i.e. click and drag over the text in question. While the text is highlighted, click the yellow button with an S in it.

If you look above the text box you write replies in, you'll see two lines of icons. The second line down, on the right-hand side, you have:

# ABC

It's the button that does your spoiler tags.

^ That's not chapter 2!

I'm on chapter 6 so am happy to move on!

@ Universe, I made the mistake of trying to read The Hobbit directly after The Lord of the Rings and never finished it, because it is very definitely Tolkien Lite

You all convinced me to re-read this so I sterted last night as I had run out of new books, got to chapter 2 and have had to come to work unfortunately, it might be on and off for me as I intend to get some more books I haven't read at the weekend. I had forgotten how detailed it was though.

I will admit I haven't gotten past the first couple of chapters in my re-read of the book cause I had a great haul from the library of books I hadn't read, and now my amazon order has arrived but I will pick it up again soon, I had forgotten how great it was.

You right, he's warped and creepy and he refers to himself in the third person! When one does that, it is safe to assume they are no longer responsible for their actions.

I have to admit that I did like him as Smeagle because he was truly trying for redemption unfortunately, those voices in his head got in the way.

You know, he reminds me of Snape in HP. Twisted, warped and downright nasty, yet, he redemed himself at the very end and we found out why he was the way he was. His love for another and her rejection turned his dark tendencies into actuality. My daughter actually thought he was cool:roll:

I totally agree. By the time we met Gollum in the Hobbit, he is just so removed from who he was before he got to the ring that he probably doesn’t know what he is doing or really who he is anymore. The ring thoroughly possesses him. Though Smeagal breaks through at times, he was never going to really ever be free.

I guess there are certain ‘Snapish’ characteristics there and now you say it I can see the comparison, the way that the object of their affection pushed them away and all, but in other ways I think they are worlds about. Snape had redeemed himself a lot earlier and he was always I think conscious of the decisions he was making, even if they went against his nature. He tried to protect Harry even when he loathed him whereas Gollum didn’t ever want to protect Frodo.

LOL! Aww, is it the whole bad boy appeal thing?

I finished my re-read of this the other day and it was great, I had forgotten so much of the plot (well apart from the main thrust) but it was funny seeing how it was written in comparisom to The LOTR's especially the character of Gandalf.

pickle, I think its because Tolkien wrote this one for children. Gandalf "grows" up in LOTRs. He's more serious. In LOTRs, Gandalf only disappears during a battle, not because he was out "looking and questioning". Now that I think about it, Gandalf was not my favorite character in the Hobbit. He was just so arrogant and theatrical. I mean, he would come just in the neck of time to save them and then pat himself on the back for doing it. How come he didnt just STAY with them?!:roll: