The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

Kate

9780141028491.jpg

Synopsis:

In his monthly accounts of what he's read - along with what he may one day read - Nick Hornby brilliantly explores everything from the classic to the graphic novel, as well as poems, plays, sports books and other kinds of non-fiction. If he occasionally implores a biographer for brevity, or abandons a literary work in favour of an Arsenal match, then all is not lost. His writing, full of all the joy and surprise and despair that books bring him, reveals why we still read, even when there's football on TV, a pram in the hall or a good band playing at our local pub.

I enjoyed this book but I found it to be a slow read. The book contains Hornby's columns for the magazine the Believer, where he writes about what he has read. There are a lot of columns and a lot of books read, and although I can remember some of the good ones, I can't remember them all!

I found this funny in places, and hard to concentrate on in other places. However, overall my impression of Hornby as a writer is good and I am glad I kept reading. In fact, I already have another one of his books - this time fiction (About A Boy) lined up to read.

Hornby is clever and honest. It made me laugh that he wasn't allowed to mention books he didn't like by title or author, but he was happy to say that he had read a book he didn't like. I was pleased he took my reading philosophy: if you don't like a book, put it down - there are too many other books to read to keep struggling through one book! There were some books he mentioned that I have read and didn't like, whereas he did, such as A Complicated Kindness, but that has not put me off reading some of his recommendations.

This is a slow but informative read. I found it easier to read if I took a break after each chapter. I liked also how he put in some extracts from books - made them seem more inviting. Overall, a good but not amazing book.

3-star-rating.gif

Books I Want to Read:

Roddy Doyle: Oh, Play That Thing

Roddy Doyle: A Star Called Henry

Joshua Ferris: Then We Came to the End

Charlotte Moore: George and Sam

Marjane Satrapi: Persepolis

Andrew Smith: Moondust

Anne Tyler: The Amateur Marriage

I'm sure there were more but I can't remember them!

I really enjoyed this book and could've read on and on and was sad when it ended. The most disturbing and annoying thing in the book was when Hornby revealed he didn't list all of the books he'd bought. I would've liked to see how many books he actually buys per month!

It was particularly enjoyable when he was talking about a book that I had read myself and liked. Too bad he wasn't the biggest fan of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time :blush:

Books that made their way to my wishlist because of this book:

The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

George and Sam: Autism in the Family by Charlotte Moore

How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer (also on Rory Gilmore challenge)

Enemies of Promise by Cyril Connolly

Old School by Tobias Wolff (also on RG)

True Notebooks by Mark Salzman

Early Bird by Rodney Rothman

Stuart: A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler

Candide by Voltaire (also on RG)

Blood Done Sign My Name by Timothy Tyson

What Good Are the Arts by John Carey

Pure Pleasure by John Carey

Ghosting by Jeanie Erdal

Scenes from a Provincial Life by William Cooper

The Dirt by M

For me The Complete Polysyllabic Spree was a very quick read. I didn't read it in one sitting but it took me only a couple of days. The 'chapters' are quite short and in the beginning of each chapter (=month) there's a list of books Hornby has bought and a list of books he's actually read. If you take this one with you Ruth, do take other books as well :D