Writers Known for Other Things

I picked up a copy of Alastair Campbell's Maya in the library today. I hadn't read anything about it, but I was curious because it was Alastair Campbell so I picked it.

I've done that before with other fiction novels for no other reason than I recognised the name and was curious. Jo Brand, David Thewlis, John O'Farrell to name a few.

Are you more likely to pick up a random novel because the author is already famous?

I think it depends who the celebrity is, if it was written by say Stephen Fry i would be likely to pick it up & have a look but it if it was a popstar or someone like Katie Price i wouldn't be interested at all. The only book i can think of that i've read that was written by someone famous for things other than writing is Billy by Pamela Stephenson.

I love Ben Elton as a writer, but can't stand him as a comedian. His writing is funny, touching and sometimes bleak, but it's satire at its very best.

I think I am attacted more along the autobiography line for authors who are known for other things, John Simpson writes very intersting informtive books on his life and the conflicts he has covered. Spike Milligan's My Part in Hitler Downfall is also brilliant.

I've bought a couple of books by one of my favourite actors, Gene Wilder (both an autobiography and a fiction book). I can't think of any other examples at the moment.

I've read a novel by that particularly handsome Ethan Hawkes but I must say I wasn't particularly impressed by it. Then there's Stephen Fry, of course. Then there's Jimmy Carr who's written at least one book on jokes but I haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet. I can't think of others right now.

I've read a book written by President Clinton (called Giving), and one by President Obama (The Audacity of Hope). I think those are the only books I've read because of what the author has done in his life, other than writing.

Personally I am less likely to pick up a book when the author is famous for other things, for the simple reason that I know the majority of such books are not actually written by the person whose name is on the cover, but are in fact ghost written. I like to support real authors and not some celebrity who can't write is trying to cash in.

Granted there are some who do write their own stuff, and have interesting stories to tell, but they are few and far between. The only famous person whose autobiography I ever read and enjoyed personally was Charlie Chaplin, who was a different generation anyway.

As for writers doing other things apart from writing, most of us do that anyway (we have to in order to survive, as you will never get rich from writing books), but are just not famous for it. I know writers who are college lecturers, historians, museum curators and IT professionals among others. I also know one who is a master baker and of course one (yours truly) who is a housekeeper in a nursing home and an exam invigilator. On that note, off to school !

I am also less likely to pick up a book if the author's already famous - I'm not into the celebrity culture at all, and would never buy a book by someone who I didn't admire / didn't think had any wordsmithing skills. I have Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Travelled as well as John Lennon's In His Own Write and A Spaniard in the Works, but then Stephen's sketches and John's songs were pretty promising indicators of a superior way with words :blush:!

I love those books of John's too, Giulia (that probably goes without saying). I've also read Skywriting by Word of Mouth, but it's nowhere near as good.

There's something about John's work that sticks in my mind, which says an awful lot because I have a shocking memory. I'm sure I've only read those first two books a few times, but I can pretty much recite 'I Sat Belonely' verbatim (can't recall if that's the exact title). I think he's quite under-rated as an author.

I've done that before with other fiction novels for no other reason than I recognised the name and was curious. Jo Brand, David Thewlis, John O'Farrell to name a few.

Is that David Thewlis the actor? I didn't know he was also a writer. Was/were his book(s) any good? I think he is a fantastic actor - much underrated.

Are you more likely to pick up a random novel because the author is already famous?

I picked up a Jo Brand novel in a bookshop once but I couldn't help hearing the prose read out in her voice in my head, and found that quite off-putting :blush:. Consequently I didn't buy it!

Is that David Thewlis the actor? I didn't know he was also a writer. Was/were his book(s) any good? I think he is a fantastic actor - much underrated.

I picked up a Jo Brand novel in a bookshop once but I couldn't help hearing the prose read out in her voice in my head, and found that quite off-putting :blush:. Consequently I didn't buy it!

Yes indeedy, David Thewlis the actor. I read The Late Hector Kipling last summer, it was his debut novel. If I remember rightly it's set in the art world and it was an ok read. I finished it anyway and I don't always. If he wrote another book I'd read it. And it was interesting to see what else he could do.

I know what you mean about Jo Brand. I've read two of her novels, and enjoyed them both. Not the world's best literature or anything, but interesting and amusing yarns that rattle along.

I absolutely loathe the celebrity obsessed culture we live in. As far as writing goes, I find it so wrong that celebs get the opportunities that real writing talent could make much better use of.

I was thinking more about well known people, with a talent or with some expertise in another field rather than anyone who's been in Heat.

Alan Titchmarsh, Edwina Currie and, God help us, Anne Widdecombe.....none of these would tempt me. Quite frankly I wouldn't use them to steady the leg of a wobbly table.

Alan Titchmarsh, Edwina Currie and, God help us, Anne Widdecombe.....none of these would tempt me. Quite frankly I wouldn't use them to steady the leg of a wobbly table.

I'd add Jeffrey Archer to that list :blush:

I've read fictional works by Stephen Fry that I enjoyed but also books by Jo Brand and Will Self that I've liked less.

On the whole, I'm less likely to pick up a fictional book by a famous celebrity, I hate that whole celebrity multi tasking thing .. actors that are suddenly pop stars, singers that become TV gardeners, singers that write books etc etc. Taken as a whole the quality isn't good it's just another way of utilising their fame and putting money in the bank, a lot of them are ghost written anyway.

I wouldn't read a book by Katie Price, Kerry Katona, Martine McCutcheon, Geri Halliwell, Coleen Nolan or Sarah Ferguson et al, my head would dissolve.

I wouldn't read stuff by Alan Titchmarsh (unless it was a gardening book) or Edwina Currie either or even Jeffrey Archer though I know 'Kane and Abel' is generally considered to be brilliant. Every feeling revolts.

I've made exceptions with people that I revere or like a lot .. like Fry, Brand (either .. if Russell wrote a fictional book I'd give it a go probably) and Self. I haven't read anything by Hugh Laurie but I would. There's something about them that tells me that they wouldn't write rubbish for the sake of it. Even those that I haven't liked were well written.

I'm not against them writing biographies or factual stuff apart from when it becomes a disease, as it has with Richard Hammond, Kerry Katona and Katie Price.

David Baddiel is another comedian-turned-writer who is very, very good. I've read all his books so far and will definitely read his latest one.

Im less inclined to read them also, if they are famous for other things UNLESS its biographical. Now, having said that, you wouldnt catch me reading ANYTHING by Miley Cyrus. The little chit isnt older than a pair of my favorite boots:lol: I mean, really, cant you wait till you hit your 40's, 50's or 60's?! Accomplish somthing besides being teen eye candy first. Dont get me wrong, I dont begrudge the girl her fame, but what has she REALLY weathered?

Im less inclined to read them also, if they are famous for other things UNLESS its biographical. Now, having said that, you wouldnt catch me reading ANYTHING by Miley Cyrus. The little chit isnt older than a pair of my favorite boots:lol: I mean, really, cant you wait till you hit your 40's, 50's or 60's?! Accomplish somthing besides being teen eye candy first. Dont get me wrong, I dont begrudge the girl her fame, but what has she REALLY weathered?

:) Exactly, it drives me up the wall. Celebrities who write their biographies aged twenty something!! Then they write another two years later, really they're just diaries and you only want to read someone's diary if they've got something worth saying .. and most of these celebs haven't. The talk will all be about which premiere they attended or their new boob job.

Honestly Katie Price (you may not know her .. if so, be thankful) has published as many 'diaries' as Samuel Pepys .. it's outrageous.

Honestly Katie Price (you may not know her .. if so, be thankful) has published as many 'diaries' as Samuel Pepys .. it's outrageous.

But she's a proper author now. She wrote a book about horses and everyfink.:D

I have to admit I have read one of Katie Price's biographies :) in my defence I got it for 50p in a second hand shop.

I probably would be inclined to pick up a book if a famous person had wrote it even if they were a bit rubbish. :lol:

But she's a proper author now. She wrote a book about horses and everyfink.:)

Don't kid yourself - that woman has not written one single word of any of the books that have her name on the cover - every single one of them is ghost written.

I'm not sure I would qualify comedians as not writers (that's not worded very well, I know :)). Most comedians write their own material, some write material for others, and even write scripts for film, television and radio. Writing novels is just another type of writing rather than them being non-writers, so I'm not surprised to see the likes of Ben Elton, Jo Brand, Jenny Eclair or David Baddiel as the author on the front cover of a book.

I own a book written by Joan Collins which I would never normally have bought. Have I told you this before?

It was when I worked near Hatchards in Piccadilly; I had been in for a lunchtime browse and, for once, was nearing the exit without having bought anything. There was a huge display of books that had been signed by Ms Collins and, attracted by the name and photo of the famous lady and having a few more minutes to kill, idly picked one up for a look ... at which, the whole display collapsed onto the floor. Having had my offers to help pick them all up refused by the staff, who were utterly charming to me despite my having laid waste to their entrance display, I felt obliged to buy one before exiting covered in shame and embarrassment. :)

Perhaps we should have an "Embarrassing Book Buying Moments" thread, too!