The Beatles Music and Merchandise Thread

AbielleRose

With how many Beatles fans there are on the form I thought it would be fun if we had a thread where we could talk about our favorite songs, books and trinkets.

Recently I've been doing some generous adding on to my collection which so far includes: 2 T-shirts (a John Lennon 'Imagine...peace' and a black and white Abbey Road), a Yellow Submarine coffee mug, 2 books (The Complete Beatles Chronicle and John Lennon: The Life), and 10 various Beatles guitar picks. It's hard to pick just one song that is my ultimate favorite, but if I had to it would be Blackbird with All You Need is Love coming in at as close second.

Because of my name being Abby I adore Abbey Road merchandise and currently have the background on my computer set to the famous picture of them on Abbey Road.

How about you all? Anyone care to share their collections or stories? Has anyone been lucky enough to visit Liverpool or even see one of them (or all of them) in concert?

I love The Beatles! I saw Paul McCartney live years ago it was amazing. He sang alot of Beatles songs and some of his own and Wings hits. Have you seen The Beatles movies? They are hilarious!

Oh and I saw a clip of Ringo performing I Wanna be Your Man live with The Beatles on youtube, just brilliant, he was so into it.

I dont have much merchandise, some posters and stickers thats about it. A yellow submarine mug sounds like something I need to have though :blush:

I saw the beatles live when they were a back up group for Billy J. Kramer in the early sixties, or maybe the very late fifties....can't remember now :blush:. They were not at all famous then. I just love them. I was a young teenager when they started out....oops showing my age lol.

My favourite song is' Michelle ', thats how my daughter was named, and my favourite album is one thats not that well known,' Beatles for Sale '. I do prefer their early works but like them all.

I'm so jealous Deneng! The closest I have come to seeing a Beatle in concert was seeing Pete Best at Beatle Week in Liverpool in 2004. I also met him in Adelaide a few months before that. And I met Julia Baird (John's half sister).

I once had diamond tickets to a Paul McCartney concert and due to an error on my part my family had to drive 10 hours down to Melbourne to pick them up. The day after we got home Paul cancelled the concert and he has never rescheduled (this was back in 2002). :lol:

Wow, I have so much to prattle on about I barely know where to start. :tong: Awesome thread Abby. :blush:

One of my managers when I was a professional musician was a chap called Alistair Taylor. He was Brian Epstein's right-hand man and consequently knew many people who gave us a little help. Through Alistair, I met Cynthia Lennon, Cilla Black and John's Uncle Charlie (on my 21st birthday - we were headlining at The Cavern on the 33rd anniversary of Epstein seeing them there for the first time).

Through this we got to play at a fair few Beatles Conventions - they wanted us to play our own material too, all we had to do was throw in two Beatles covers! This was how we first started playing in the USA. Crazy days.

My favourtie Beatles songs are For No One and Here, There and Everywhere. Brilliantly crafted songs. :blush:

Mac, it sounds like you had a great time as a musician, and how exciting to be at all those Beatles conventions. An honour too for you to be asked to play. I am quite envious. I remember Cilla Black well,as a young pop star. Use to have an album of hers but dont know where that went.

' Brilliantly crafted songs.'.............How right you are.

My favourtie Beatles songs are For No One and Here, There and Everywhere. Brilliantly crafted songs. :tong:

An amazing time you must have had Mac. 'Here, There And Everywhere' has got to be one of my most favourite of their songs. Just beautiful. :blush:

I love the Beatles. They were a big favourite of my folks so it's the music from my childhood.

One of my favourite childhood memories driving about in our first ever cart (a Vauxhall Viva) and us all singing Sergeant Pepper at top note outdoing the cassette player. Lovely!

So hard to choose a fave. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is up there, as is;

I feel Fine

Eight Days a Week

Something

Across the Universe

Twist and Shout

Fool on the Hill makes me cry. (Ooops. Wrong thread:blush:)

I saw the beatles live when they were a back up group for Billy J. Kramer in the early sixties, or maybe the very late fifties....can't remember now :blush:. They were not at all famous then. I just love them. I was a young teenager when they started out....oops showing my age lol.

My favourite song is' Michelle ', thats how my daughter was named, and my favourite album is one thats not that well known,' Beatles for Sale '. I do prefer their early works but like them all.

I'm so jealous of you! What an amazing experience that must have been (and its really cool to know how Michelle got her name :tong: ).

Its hard to pick a favorite album because all of their music is so iconic, so I'm going to just go and pick my favorite solo album- John Lennon is my favorite Beatle and his album Lennon Legend is by far the best. Its the sort of album I can put on repeat for hours and just get lost in.

Green Day did a great cover of Working Class Hero. Its probably my favorite Beatles cover because of how well done it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNCFcDy94xc

Edited by CaliLily

Picking a solo album is cheating Abby! :tong:. And it's good to know my name didn't come from the Guns N Roses song! :blush:

If I had to choose a favourite album, I think I'd go for Abbey Road - I love the songs on there, and it just 'works' as an album.

Favourite songs.. A Day In The Life, I Am The Walrus. While My Guitar Gently Weeps.. and many many more. :lol:

Because Best and Favourite aren't synonyms, here's a few lists ;) I'll be back to discuss gigs, merch and general displays of fandom later!

Top 5: Best Songs

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Anthology version, minus :) Eric Clapton)

Within You Without You

Across the Universe (Let it Be Naked version)

In My Life

She's Leaving Home

Top 5: Favourite Songs

For No One

I've Just Seen a Face

You're Going to Lose that Girl

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party

Two of Us

Top 5: Best Albums

The Beatles

Revolver

Rubber Soul

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Let It Be Naked

Top5: Favourite Albums

Help*

Beatles for Sale

A Hard Day's Night

With the Beatles

Revolver

* this is the one with the greatest sentimental value because it's the one I discovered The Beatles with when I was 11. I'd gotten a Sony Walkman for Christmas and rummaged through my Dad's cassettes for something to try it out with; I count it Destiny that I picked up one of the only two Beatles albums in the entire collection :)!

• 2 months later...

I went to Walmart tonight at 1am due to the inability to sleep and boredom. Thanks to the Back to School section I now am the proud owner of 5 beautiful Beatles notebooks and 3 beautiful folders. (Had to get 2 Abbey Road notebooks- one to write in and 1 for my new special Abbey Road collection).

I also was lucky enough to find a record of Abbey Road in a shop last week for only $6.00!!! It's still in the plastic and everything :D All in all, a wonderful Beatles shopping week! :D

Here is a picture of my collection thus far, minus cds/actual music.

Beatles collection.bmp