Are you a Book Nazi?

Kell

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only know one person who reads at all, and he doesn't read much of the same things that I do. I wish I knew more readers in real life =P

I don't know ANYONE who reads for pleasure like me, which is kinda annoying because then I can't really talk about books with any of my friends :lol:

Yeah, thats exactly my problem. My best friends try. Katie read the Twilight books, but shes a hopeless fangirl now and can't talk objectively about them, and it was Andy who told me about The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas (which i left behind in the shop, in favour of The Book Thief! :lol::cry2::)) and A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, but he doesn't tend to talk much about them.

I know a couple of people in "real-life" who read regularly, but we have very little over-lap in tastes so discussion is fairly limited.

I have found this forum to be useful in spurring me along, and there are a couple of other - non-book related - forums that I post on that have active book sections that are more in line with the type of books I read.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer the discussion question: Well, no. But I do love the name, how it reminds me of Seinfeld. "No soup for you!"

I think I would be a book Nazi if it weren't for my honesty with my clumsiness. If I were passive-agressive against someone maybe making a dog-ear, I would later kick myself for being a hypocrite. It's because I always bolt upright in my chair or bed in surprise at getting a food stain or a squished bug or something on yet another book! I really try to take care of them, though, since most of them are from the library!

Doodles in textbooks set me off somewhat, and if the book is older I certainly would verbally address someone paying it disrespect. I have to honor my campus ministry at school as the library assistant, you know! ...Even if I have put in a library stamp upside down in an old commentary!:lol: Yikes. So, I'll just take your guys' recommendations rather than physical copies. For all our sakes.

I'm fortunate in a way that I don't have the ability to hang on to books since we move all the time.. It means that instead of lending books, I can just pass them along and not expect them in return so I don't give a shod what happens to them! :lol: My only stipulation is that when my friend finishes the books, she passes it along to someone else or donates it to a library or school instead of just throwing it out if she has no need to keep it. Past that... I don't have to worry about caring!

Friends do not like to borrow any books from me as they know how fussy i am with my own books. If they do (much like hiring a car) they will point out creases and marks to me before they take the book.

If a book is returned with damage i have never said anything. Maybe i don't need to they can probably tell from my reaction that it irritates me. :lol:

Friends do not like to borrow any books from me as they know how fussy i am with my own books. If they do (much like hiring a car) they will point out creases and marks to me before they take the book.

This is hilarious, Cabrasopa! You should give them a diagram of the front and back cover so they can place "x" marks where any pre-existing damage is! :lol:

I'm puzzled... Am I the only one bothered by the title of this thread? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything here, which is why I didnt say anything until now but each time I see the title it makes me wince. The casual use of the word nazi you know?

Is it a country thing? I see it's also used a number of times in the thread, has it become like a normal word in the UK? We would never use it like that in France.

I'm puzzled... Am I the only one bothered by the title of this thread? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything here, which is why I didnt say anything until now but each time I see the title it makes me wince. The casual use of the word nazi you know?

Is it a country thing? I see it's also used a number of times in the thread, has it become like a normal word in the UK? We would never use it like that in France.

No, your right, I was a bit shocked when I read the title as well.

Hm, I don't mind if my books get wear and tear just from being on the shelves, but if someone damages one through carelessness, then I get kinda' mad. :lol:

The title doesn't personally bother me, I use the term 'book nazi' to talk about myself - but then my friends know I meant it in the most unoffensive/light-hearted way possible. But its probably not a title I would have posted on a public forum.

As I've said before - once a book is damaged I get over it, but until it does I'm a b**ch about people taking care of them. I just don't trust people with my things, even though I'm very responsible with other peoples things myself.

Interesting. I don't mind it, I've often said I'm a Christmas nazi because I want things done just so. But I don't know if I'd use the term with people I don't know really well. And yes, it could also be a country thing. The further you get from the Nazi Germany, the easiest is to move to the casual use of the word. I'd guess it is, in general, easier to Americans than Europeans, and the hardest for Germans. I don't know. One thing for me personally is that I care about the capitals. For me 'nazi' and 'Nazi' are two different things. Maybe it's all the Winnie the Pooh I read as a child. But they are! (case in point, I'm using terms 'player' and 'Player' in my thesis to describe two different things!) So when I read the title, or use the phrase 'Christmas nazi', it's without the capital letter, with no reference to the actual party, but more in the lighthearted Soup nazi way of Seinfeld.

And yes, it could also be a country thing. The further you get from the Nazi Germany, the easiest is to move to the casual use of the word. I'd guess it is, in general, easier to Americans than Europeans, and the hardest for Germans.

I'm an American and can only speak for myself, but think you could be right about this, ii. I honestly didn't think twice when I read this thread title, despite the fact that I did a lot of research and papers on the Holocaust and Nazi Germany during college. I can see how some people may be offended by a flippant use of any word like this, but it doesn't really come across as offensive to me, personally.

I think there's also two ways to use the term. If used in political context, it's immediately more serious and it gets the connotation of Nazi Germany. But if used in a completely different surroundings, like books or Christmas, it's simply a term to describe extreme hard-core strictness and "my way, or highway" -attitude. So the context matters, and changes the connotation. (see? more coffee and I start using the big words! *laughs*)

I think there's also two ways to use the term. If used in political context, it's immediately more serious and it gets the connotation of Nazi Germany. But if used in a completely different surroundings, like books or Christmas, it's simply a term to describe extreme hard-core strictness and "my way, or highway" -attitude. So the context matters, and changes the connotation. (see? more coffee and I start using the big words! *laughs*)

:lol:

I my self am pretty anal about my books :lol: (most of them look un read) so I don

Big words? Where?

This is very interesting! I wasnt actually offended by the title, as it's obvious it wasnt used in a wrong way... just surprised and a bit ticked by the word because I'm not used to it being a normal word.

I see that for many people it's actually a word with it's own meaning aside from being the regime... whereas to me, and I'd say all french people (I might be wrong but I've never heard it used in a non WW2 context in france) it is hitler's party and nothing else... Distance from the center of war certainly has a lot to do with it.

Does anyone know wether it actually was a word before becoming Hitler's party, or has it become one in some countries since then? That would change the perspective a lot.

Thanks for the answers everyone!

I see that for many people it's actually a word with it's own meaning aside from being the regime... whereas to me, and I'd say all french people (I might be wrong but I've never heard it used in a non WW2 context in france) it is hitler's party and nothing else... Distance from the center of war certainly has a lot to do with it.

You know, thinking about it, I haven't either. In France, that is. And while it could be just that you saying this makes me feel so, it would feel odd to me to use it in French.* It feels just 'off'. Whereas in English it's okay, as a part of a phrase ('book nazi', 'christmas nazi'). As a stand-alone word it's still very much the political meaning, in English too.

* I also feel uncomfortable using the words 'love' and 'patriotic' in Finnish, and some words in English.