What's for Dinner?

Maureen as you know there are much good food in Thailand and especially Chiang Mai. There is of course a lot of Northern Thai food which I love but there is any kind you want including farang food. Usually I eat home because wife is great cook, but she is from Nakhon Sawan so she cooks Central Thai food, which is the kind most western people are familiar with. She also can make Isaan or nothestern style food, as her mother is Lao. If I want to eat Northern Thai food I have to go to restaurant. One thing I will say is I never eat beef in Thailand. It is the worst. If you are coming to Chiang Mai just tell me what food you like, and I will try to turn you on to the right places.

Maureen as you know there are much good food in Thailand and especially Chiang Mai. There is of course a lot of Northern Thai food which I love but there is any kind you want including farang food. Usually I eat home because wife is great cook, but she is from Nakhon Sawan so she cooks Central Thai food, which is the kind most western people are familiar with. She also can make Isaan or nothestern style food, as her mother is Lao. If I want to eat Northern Thai food I have to go to restaurant. One thing I will say is I never eat beef in Thailand. It is the worst. If you are coming to Chiang Mai just tell me what food you like, and I will try to turn you on to the right places.

Oh, I loved the Green/Yellow/Red Curries, the fried rice and the Tom Yum soup. Those are what I remember. We also love seafood and fish. I would try a wide variety of foods, but wherever we eat has to have something my young son would eat too - so not spicy :) I did not realise that the food in Chang Mai would be different to that of Bangkok and Southern Thailand. How is it different?

Northern Thai food generally uses less coconut than other Thai food, although the number one famous food in North Thailand which is khao soi does have coconut. Southern Thai food is very spicy, and Isaan or northeastern Thai food is also very spicy. There is a very popular food called laab which I like but is spicy and also in Isaan they do not cook the meat and so do not eat it. But laap made in north or central Thai is okay and cooked. Thai dinner is supposed to have 5 flavors, which are spicy, sweet, bitter, salty and sour. So there is plenty of Thai food is not spicy. I myself like really spicy food, and actually most of what I eat is spicier than what wifes family and most Thais eat, so when we go to restaurant wife orders for me, because they will automatically not serve farangs food as spicy as most Thais get even for same food. Some Thai food is served without chilis so you can make it spicy by adding chili or not depending on your taste. One thing to remember is that the smaller the chilis, the hotter they are, and green chili hotter than red. When you order if you do not want spicy, just say "mai phet", and they will know what you mean as most farangs do not like spicy food. Here is another thing to remember: do not drink anything with shaved ice as usually this is ice they buy in big blocks and drag along the ground. Ice cubes are okay though. Drinking water in restaurants is fine, it is the ice to watch for. Go to restaurants or food stall which is basy, as food is fresh. if not busy you do not know if food is sitting all day.

Nam phrik pla tu which is one kind of nam phrik and is one of most favorite food of Thailand. It is made with fermented fish and chilis and garlic and lime and other stuff and is spicy. Eat with rice and vegetables. Favorite food of poor people as can make with stuff from garden and only have to buy fish, unless you catch fish and then buy nothing.

the fastest thing I can find....I have about an hour in between jobs to feed my daughter, luckily she is a teen and is happy with anything fast and easy :giggle2:

Edited by Sofia

We are having veggie burgers with a variety of roasted vegetables - sweet potatoes, red pepper, red onion and fennel, with possibly some goats cheese (will have to check the fridge to see if I have any left).

sounds nice, but would be even better with veggie stock instead of chicken.

We had mushroom and garlic burgers with fried egg and a huge salad. I am trying to be healthy at the moment, as I don't want to bloat before my next holiday and have to get wheat completely out of my system.

I had tacos last night and will be eating leftovers for the next couple of days. Specifically, I had 'soft' tacos, which I think is an odd name because they're just the same wraps one uses for burritos.

Poor risotto. Abby, you are supposed to stand and stir, stir, stir that heavenly dish! It gets all creamy and delish that way ;).

I'm having chicken tonight as well, just not sure in what form. Dinner's over 12 hours away, but I had to take a couple of chicken breasts out of the freezer last night before bed so they could thaw. I'll either bake them for salads this week or stir-fry them with some veggies.