Disposing of unread books

SueK

Well, I never thought I'd do this but yesterday I took a pile of unread books to the charity shops because I know I'll never get round to reading them. Perhaps they were buying mistakes but at least they've made room for books I know I want to keep.

some of the books that went were:

Foucault's Pendulum: Eco - tried twice and gave up, far too pretentious for my liking.

Hawksmoor: Peter Akroyd - just not my thing and don't know why I bought it.

Atonement:McEwan - just toooo slow

Whispers in the Sand: Barbara Erskine - been on the shelf too long and should have read by now

I am England: Patricia Wright - ditto

and a few more titles which I can't recall right now.

I suppose someone will now tell me I should have read them!:lol:

I've given away tons of books, probably around 200 or so. I usually donate them to Goodwill or one of the books for charity drop-off bins. I still have about 600 books at home, though. :lol:

I often go through my shelves and take some books to a charity shop, I just find that my tastes can change, and some books which looked good when I bought or found them no longer look attractive. :lol:

Yeah I have the same thing. I've just filled a bag actually to get rid of. I'm going to see if my sister in law wants any then the rest will go to a charity shop.

Oddly, I have the same thing with library books - I take them out and a week later don't know why I did! Although not had that problem with this batch yet!

I too find that my tastes change, often I will read something by a new author and then go out and buy more of their work only to find that I 'go off' their style of writing so the unread books go to the charity shop.

I have learnt my lesson though - to avoid spending a lot of money on books I will potentially go off I've joined the library :(

I know I should have a good clear out because there are a few books on my shelf that I'm definately not going to read but I find it difficult to get rid of books - even books I've read and didn't like. I know I've got to though because it makes space for books that I am actually going to read...take a few deep breaths and be strong you can do this!:blush:

I only ever really get rid of books for one of the following reasons:

- got it from bookmooch/eBay/whathaveyou in shameful condition and want to replace it with a copy in better shape (i.e. Cornelia Funke's Inkheart)

- read it, loved it so much I want a nicer edition (i.e. Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens)

- started it and struggled to read on because of themes I wasn't comfortable with (i.e. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein)

When I have enough, off to the charity shop they go.

I only ever really get rid of books for one of the following reasons:

- read it, loved it so much I want a nicer edition (i.e. Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens)

I do that as well, however..... :blush: I end up keeping the old copy for sentimental reasons. /sigh/

- started it and struggled to read on because of themes I wasn't comfortable with (i.e. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein)
I've done that, more often as my taste has changed and [hopefully] matured.

Sad to say, that I've actually done some backsliding. I'd given a copy of Never Let Me Go to a friend as I'd started it, and saw where it was going and couldn't stand the thought. But I've rebought it.

Can't win for losing. :lol: