Radio plays

Julia

Hi,

a few years ago I thought audio books are totally boring. Well, this has changed now and I quite enjoyed some audio books now. But I also discovered the world of radio plays this last years. I must say I prefer them to "normal" audio books.

So I am a big fan of some german radio play series. And now I am interested in english productions. Are there radio play lovers around here? Can you recommend english radio plays?

Open for any recommendations, for children radio plays, crimes, action...

Julia

You should definitely get hold of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy radio play by Douglas Adams - it's awesome! There are 5 parts to it and all are fantastic. :lol:

There's also a radio play version of The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit - both are fab. :lol:

I am a massive fan of the classic Paul Temple series a crime fighting detective who travels through a world of cocktails parties and clubs accompanied by his wife Steve, they were originally aired in the 1950's and are a great bit of nostalgia. There are also many fantastic adaptations of Agatha Christie and the BBC did a great adaptation of Philip Pullman's Northern lights. If you are not sure BBC 7 does serialisations all the time. enjoy I love them.

For something a little different, you could try some radio plays from the late 30s/early 40s, as performed by Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre. This includes the infamous War of the Worlds play that freaked out quite a lot of people who thought it was real. They did adaptations of a lot of classics. I've yet to listen to most of them myself. :lol:

It's probably not what you're looking for, but interesting nevertheless, I think!

I recently bought a BBC Radio 4 Full Cast Dramatisation of Philip Pulman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but it was recommended to me.

I plan on passing it on to my parents, who I think would enjoy the story but don't feel able to 'commit' to reading them.

I recently bought a BBC Radio 4 Full Cast Dramatisation of Philip Pulman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but it was recommended to me.

I plan on passing it on to my parents, who I think would enjoy the story but don't feel able to 'commit' to reading them.

I have it, listened to it and loved it

Oh that sounds really interesting, I think I will try it.

But I will also look out for Agatha Christie and The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy radio play.

Thanks for your recommendations!

I have it, listened to it and loved it

Excellent, that is so good to hear! :lol: Thanks Pickle.

Julia, a great thread to have started, and one I will be returning to for further ideas. :lol:

The HHGTTG that Kell recommended is very good ~ I listened to it many years ago and loved it.

Old Harry's Game is fantastic, it's a BBC comedy radio series about a bureaucratic Hell and is, well, funny as Hell.

And of course, I can't help but second Adams's H2G2 - a timeless classic.

May not be your thing, but the BBC have released a number of their science fiction radio plays on CD. I can especially recommend their adaptations of The Krakens Wakes and The Midwich Cuckoos.

The Kraken wakes is brilliant and i have the Midwich Cukoos on my tble beside me to listen to in the bath later. They are playing The Chrysalids later in the week on BBC7

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to tell you that I ordered "The Old Harry's Game: Complete Series 1 and 2", "His Dark Materials Trilogy and "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" today. So all I need now is lots of time for listening :blush: